Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie What controllers are you using?

Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=80828]Avatar2200: Problem is this doesn’t have enough buttons for N64… Or am I missing something??[/quote]

Possible. Due I do not play N64 games, I can’t tell you right now how many buttons are needed for those games.

koretex
    Participant

I would love to see your config for the iBuffalo controller.

da-gonzo
    Participant

I TOO would love to see a correctly functioning config for the iBuffalo controller

Floob

My config for iBuffalo is attached.

/opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/configs

I’ve renamed it .txt

krux02
    Participant

[img]http://i.imgur.com/26tGSXp.jpg[/img]

pdelponte
    Participant

[quote=81952]My config for iBuffalo is attached.

/opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/configs

I’ve renamed it .txt
    [/quote]

Can you explain how you exit games with just the controller. I believe this part of your config is how you set it up:

input_enable_hotkey_btn = “6”
    input_exit_emulator_btn = “7”

I just want to know how you actually do it. Do you hold down Select and then press Start? If so, what about games like Super Mario World where you have to hold down both of those buttons to exit a level.

Just curious how this actually works.

Thanks,
    P

da-gonzo
    Participant

[quote=82892]Can you explain how you exit games with just the controller. I believe this part of your config is how you set it up:
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = “6”
    I just want to know how you actually do it. Do you hold down Select and then press Start? If so, what about games like Super Mario World where you have to hold down both of those buttons to exit a level.
    Just curious how this actually works.
    Thanks,
    P[/quote]

That is how that works and would override the function in the game you mentioned. To avoid this, you can map the hot key to one of the top buttons instead of select.

evilkitty
    Participant

I’m using these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400797089213
    they are being used with these systems
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Super Nintendo
    Game Boy
    Game Boy Color
    Game Boy Advance
    Sega Master System / Mark III
    Sega CD
    Sega Mega Drive / Genesis
    Sega 32X
    Atari 2600

i’ll try to edit this tomorrow and attach my controller configs

spanner
    Participant

I have 2 Play Sega joypads (They are white and look like a Saturn controller) and I have sorted one and that works,I am able to play mega drive and mega cd games with it but how do i do the other controller,when i plug them in they are like having the same controller in,

I have done the first controller to 0 I have tried 1 but its not working do I have to put 2 in..?

tehlews
    Participant

I have tried to set up a wired PS3 controller but I can’t seem to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. I just use my keyboard as of lately.

Floob

I’m using these iBuffalo controllers which work really well.

ramenfox
    Participant

Hi guys, first time poster here. I have a question because we just put in a home theater and I figured the RetroPi would be GREAT for us. We currently have the XBOX One & Nintendo Wii hooked up but I also wanted some retro games to play in that room… however, the problem is finding the perfect WIRELESS controller that would work. The way the room is set up, the RetroPi would be behind me with the rest of the equipment. The room dimensions are roughly 40′ x 35′ give or take (I don’t have the exact plans on me… just guessing for now). Here is a drawing done in Paint to give you guys an idea. I read through these past 4 pages regarding wireless controllers and there being response time issues with things being in the way of the USB dongles and whatnot. Any help is appreciated… I would love to make this work. Currently, I’m not sure if there would be a way to make the RetroPi sit outside the equipment room, as my uncle (tech genius) has them ordered and we’re expecting it to come on Monday! Can’t wait!

http://oi57.tinypic.com/1ysiyv.jpg

Centax
    Participant

I am new to this forum and new to retropie as well. Hello world! So far my Rock Candy Wireless PS3 controller is working well with the older consoles. 2600-SNES, but running into some issues with configuring it for mame4all though.

Wireless signal has felt solid on it so far. I used the same controller on an Android Mini PC and had lag/dropouts. It’s been totally great so far on the PI connection wise. I sit about 12 feet from the USB receiver.

As far as getting it configured for Mame4all, the issues I am having seems to be that I can’t configure the D-Pad and can’t find an option in the input menu for an emulator exit hotkey. I have to hit ESC on the keyboard. Would like it to be like the Retroarch emulators with Select/Start exit out.

If anyone can help, that’d be great.

Thanks very much to all the programmers and people involved on the RetroPie project. It rocks!

Floob

[quote=85130]

As far as getting it configured for Mame4all, the issues I am having seems to be that I can’t configure the D-Pad and can’t find an option in the input menu for an emulator exit hotkey. I have to hit ESC on the keyboard. Would like it to be like the Retroarch emulators with Select/Start exit out.

If anyone can help, that’d be great.

Thanks very much to all the programmers and people involved on the RetroPie project. It rocks!
    [/quote]

This shows how to set an exit button in mame4all.

Centax
    Participant

Thanks Floob! Just now watched that. I will try that. :)

Any idea why the D-Pad is not recognized? It only recognizes the left analog. Some games I’d prefer using the D-Pad with. Can’t map any D-Pad buttons anywhere in the input menu. It has me stumped.

Thanks again

Floob

Have you posted your issue in the main forum? We could debug there.

Centax
    Participant

[quote=85159]Have you posted your issue in the main forum? We could debug there.[/quote]

Not yet, but that’s a good idea. Apologies for the hijack. :) Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello to all. I am new to retropie and raspberry. So far I havea Raspberry Pi B+ with a 32Gb sd card with a flirc case. I used a few different controller that I had in my collection. I guess it depends what kind of game I am playing. Below is what I am using.

Neo Geo Pad 2 for playstation 2 with a ps to usb adapter. I am using the same adapter for all my controllers. I also have an original Neo Geo CD controller that was modified with usb cord.

A Street Fighter Arcade controller and a Street Fighter joystick.

I have a NES30 I want to try when I get a bluetooh adapter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is a picture of the other two controllers I didn’t attach.

phipix01
    Participant

[quote=26970]to whoever was asking about the usb PS2 controller adapter that you plug 2 PS2 controllers into, I HIGHLY recommend going that route. PS2 controllers are great, assign the digital pads as your input and press the analog button on the controller to switch to analog stick input.

I think you can plug and unplug the controllers while in use, I’m not sure though, I usually just keep them both plugged in.

here’s how I set them up for retropie in the retroarch.cfg file with save and load state goodness, hold in select and press R1 for save, select and L1 for Load state, and select and start to exit emulator.

[/quote]

@Mike

i guess that was me .. i’m glad you recommend them and thank you very much for your config i’ll try it as soon as i got time.
    as it happens to be that i got two of those lovely 2xps2-to-usb adapters i want to try to get 4 controllers working, ill post my configs it i get it working. one other thing i found out is that two different controllers (one original and one non-sony) on one adapter are not working for me.

thanks!
    phil

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m using wired PS4 controllers (DualShock 4s), and they work great. These things are probably my favorite controllers of all time. I may try to go wireless with them eventually. If anyone needs any config files for them, just say so.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there, I started playing around with Retro Pie yesterday and since I didn’t have a USB controller available, I tried using the Fire TV gamecontroller via bluetooth. I followed instructions for connecting a PS3 controller (https://dhoium3009.wordpress.com/raspberry-pi-connecting-multiple-ps3-controllers-via-bluetooth/), but got stuck when it came to pairing the controller to the Pi.

Did someone already succeed in connecting the Fire TV controller? Any hints are really appreciated.

k3nsh1r0
    Participant

Hi Guys, First time poster so go easy on me lol (If this is the wrong section I apologise profusely).
    I’ve done a fresh Retro Pie set up with a Raspberry Pi 2 but for the life of me cannot get the PS3 controller to connect over wireless.

It works fine with my set up on my old Rpi Model B and i know the BT is working as when I do a scan it detects my iPhone???

Any help will be gratefully received….

Oh and i’m using the 2.5.0 Beta :-)

windjammersfan
    Participant

I’ve been using a pair of the SNES styled iBuffallo controllers for a few weeks. I can’t recommend them though. The face buttons work fine, as do the triggers, though the d-pad registers lots of false inputs. When left idle it’ll occasionally send false up, left and rights. This happens during play too, and while it’s not a huge problem in many games, in some (Street Fighter style games, for example,) it’s significant.

I’ve had better luck with the Mad Catz Street Fighter X Tekken Fightpad for PS3. It set up fine and works great. The build quality is great for the price, though the face buttons feel a little cheap, and it’s very good for most games. Had theRPi2 Model B not just arrived and made good N64 emulation possible I’d just use these.

I’m currently trying to get the PS4’s Dualshock 4 working and while it works fine in ES, as soon as I go into a game it loses all functionality, as does the keyboard. I can only exit out by disconnecting the controller and pressing the Esc key on the keyboard. I’m not sure why this is happening, but the pad is wired on an extremely long cable so maybe it’s a power issue. I have no technical knowledge whatsoever though so that’s just a guess.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the same issue when I started out. I think I just had to create a configuration file for the Dualshock 4 and put it in the right folder.

UPDATE: Don’t bother with the attached file, just check out this thread:

Config file for DualShock 4 / PS4 controller

windjammersfan
    Participant

[quote=84774]I have tried to set up a wired PS3 controller but I can’t seem to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. I just use my keyboard as of lately.[/quote]
    If like me you still have your PS3 set up and nearby it could be due to that. To get PS3 controllers working wired I have to cut power to the PS3 (I just switch it off at the wall socket) then press the PS button on the pad once it’s wired to the Pi. The pad will switch the PS3 on once power is restored to the console and the pad is disconnected from the Pi. I’m not sure how long it takes for the pad to give up looking for a PS3 once it’s no longer wired to the Pi.

maikeximu
    Participant

Does anybody notice a slight input lag when playing SNES compared to a normal console experience ? Mario is jumping but a little slower than my memories. Does it come from the emulation or can the controller be in cause ? (mine are bought from Aliexpress – ok material but i’m sure they won’t last long).

Links in case someone is interested :
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-x-Retro-Super-for-Nintendo-SNES-USB-Controller-for-PC-for-MAC-Controllers-SEALED/2051991309.html
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-for-NES-Classic-Controller-for-Windows-PC-and-Mac-Classic-Style-White-Wholesale/32213747217.html

justinbeaird
    Participant

wireless ps3 controller. but cant get it to work in neogeo(fba) or mame. :(
    works in everything else tho.

k3nsh1r0
    Participant

You have configured the inputs via MAME’s menu whilst in a ROM?

I’m having loads of problems getting mine to connect wirelessly consistently for some odd reason it just connects when it feels like it lol.

justinbeaird
    Participant

[quote=87922]You have configured the inputs via MAME’s menu whilst in a ROM?

I’m having loads of problems getting mine to connect wirelessly consistently for some odd reason it just connects when it feels like it lol.
    [/quote]
    Well crap it worked with the last beta and I just upgraded and can’t get it to pair like it did.

this sucks xbox 360 receiver works out of the box with everything i have tried but i hate the bulky cable on it :(

fistwielder
    Participant

For my ibuffalo SNES controller I use the following. With this config, Select+R saves state and Select+L loads state. Select+A cycles up save slots and Select+B cycles down save slots, so you can pick from slot 0-9 to save and load from up to 10 different states. Also hold Select+Y for slow motion and Select+X for fast motion which is nice for speeding through some of those long game intros. Press Select+Up and Select+Down to turn your volume up and down. And lastly, use Select+Left and Select+Right to cycle through shaders to change how the graphics look, some of which look and run great but some can cause slowness depending on how powerful you pi is and your overclock and memory split settings.

input_device = “USB,2-axis 8-button gamepad ”
    input_driver = “udev”
    input_b_btn = “1”
    input_y_btn = “3”
    input_select_btn = “6”
    input_start_btn = “7”
    input_up_axis = “-1”
    input_down_axis = “+1”
    input_left_axis = “-0”
    input_right_axis = “+0”
    input_a_btn = “0”
    input_x_btn = “2”
    input_l_btn = “4”
    input_r_btn = “5”
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = “6” #
    input_save_state_btn = “5”
    input_load_state_btn = “4”
    input_state_slot_increase_btn = “0”
    input_state_slot_decrease_btn = “1”
    input_slowmotion_btn = “3”
    input_hold_fast_forward_btn = “2”
    input_volume_up_axis = “-1”
    input_volume_down_axis = “+1”
    input_shader_next_axis = “+0”
    input_shader_prev_axis = “-0”

monjarston
    Participant

Using a Buffalo classic USB gamepad at the moment. Looks like a SNES controller but has buttons to set and clear turbos on it. Seems like it’s a decent quality, wasn’t too expensive. Has anyone tried using a ps4 controller? Wondering if that would be possible.

redman2112
    Participant

Hello, first time poster just wanted to get some advice on which controller I should choose when building my Retropi with a Raspberry Pi 2. I have an XBOX 360 PC Wireless Gaming Receiver but I’ve used it with my laptop and it seems to have a .5-1 second lag on it and I’ve heard its really hard to set it up. Can anyone else confirm this or does anyone use this? If so how well does it work?

I really want a controller that i can play almost any game with. Easily be able to use it on old Atari or SNES games but also have compatibility to use it with Gamecube and PS1 type games as well. Any help with be gladly appreciated.

mrsmile
    Participant

[quote=87036]I’ve been using a pair of the SNES styled iBuffallo controllers for a few weeks. I can’t recommend them though. The face buttons work fine, as do the triggers, though the d-pad registers lots of false inputs. When left idle it’ll occasionally send false up, left and rights. This happens during play too […]
    [/quote]

Oh, I thought I would go crazy. My iBuffalo Classic USB Gamepads (or at least one of my two) have this issue too. I tested some other Controllers before but this type is by far the best one. It feels really close to the (european) originals of Nintendo. But sometimes when I leave Emulationstation in the menu and go to the kitchen or so, there is another item selected when I come back to the screen.

In Games I sometimes (very rare) died because my player walked one super tiny step to the side. But till now I didn’t realize that this all is related to the controller. Has anyone looked deeper into it? My short google search brought this to my attention:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2JYJYVLGBTY9L/ref=pdp_new_read_full_review_link?ie=UTF8&page=1&sort_by=MostRecentReview#RA7WQC9ZN69XS

This is so sad. The best SNES-linke controller out there obviously has electric problems. Any ideas how to fix that?

One other funny thing: The serial numbers of my two iBuffalo Gamepads are both A41130. ;-)

Computer Ninja
    Participant

[quote=11665]I’ve finished my Retro Pi using a PiBow wooden case Case , PiGlow for retro lightning PiGlow , Heat sink with mini fan for better cooling and a full size double arcade joystick Joystick .
    I only play MAME games. I never liked other games. All MAME roms (about 2000 games) work like a charm with this double joystick! I’m in love with my Pi![/quote]

Sakis, can you get a hold me to discuss MAME on RetroPie and your arcade stick setup? I was meaning to build a MAME arcade cabinet with an old PC but was recently introduced to the whole RetroPie movement and I’m in love.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/c0mputerninja

Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 186 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.