Tagged: 

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

The new raspberry-pi 2 is out, any information about retropie compatibility ?

Thanks

monkeeboy
    Participant

I have just ordered one. I’ll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Floob

Perhaps the RetroPie image will need a new Raspian build, so new images?

"Remember you’ll need an updated NOOBS or Raspbian image including an ARMv7 kernel and modules from our downloads page"

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

m33x
    Participant

Just ordered mine. Hope it will be supported soon! This peace of hardware should finally be able to run the N64 emulator! *hope*

retrofredde
    Participant

Exciting news! I’ve always feared the day I need to configure a new RetroPie + Emulation Station setup because of all the tinkering with the first one, I’ve actually avoided every single update so far, but this time it might actually be worth it. Up to 6x as fast as Model B is a crazy upgrade!

einbrecher
    Participant

I was curious – one of the big things holding the Raspberry-pi 1 B+ back from N64 emulation was RAM, was it not? Wouldn’t increasing the pagefile space on the microSD card (I use a 32GB one…overkill, yes) fix that issue, or was it also the processor speed that was at work?

If I catch wind that the 2.0 can handle N64, though, I’m ordering it ASAP.

Are Playstation 1 games now in reach?

hippiedalek
    Participant

Typical. I just ordered my first Raspberry Pi two days ago (B+) specifically for making a Retro Pie. Sounds like the new model will be much better for this project…just my luck : )

InsecureSpike
    Participant

i think i’m gonna get one!
    its gotta be a bonus to run retropie on it even if n64 don’t still run…

downup
    Participant

Will keep track of this post, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 is “playable” on a clocked Rpi at 1Ghz. And many psx games. But more FPS with this rPi2 would be great!

saegiru
    Participant

Unfortunately it looks for the time being that it doesn’t work yet:

http://lifehacker.com/the-raspberry-pi-2-is-faster-more-powerful-and-availa-1682814956

Still ordered one though, because you KNOW they will get it working pretty soon… and it is going to be awesome, as if it wasn’t already insanely so. :D

petrockblog
    Keymaster

the image wont work, but it should work if installed on top of the new raspbian. I added some basic multi platform support into retropie, which could be used to set different build options to optimise for the raspberry pi 2.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you wont get 6x performance from emulators though btw – that figure is based on multi threaded stuff that can use all the cores.

retrofredde
    Participant

^ Hmm, does that mean that every single emulator + RetroPie and EmulationStation and controller drivers etc etc needs completely new builds? That might take awhile… and some emulators might not even get ported since the dvs has moved on to new projects. Or can the devs just take their old code and recompile it?

galego
    Participant

Please someone could enlighten me:
    it is possible to know if the project will work in Retropie Raspberry 2?
    Can I make a Retropie project in my Rasp2 using the same tools used in a RaspB+ ?
    Or they need to be updated? These updates are available?
    Emulators N64 and PS1 has forecast operating in Rasp2?

ty sorry my english!

Anonymous
    Inactive

it will need a new build as the SOC is different so a new kernal will be needed but this is not much. You will get an instanat speed increase of the emultators however optimization for all 4 cores in the emultaotrs is a different story but given time this will come.

galego
    Participant

I am now in doubt! I do not know if I buy a Rasp2 or RaspB +. I am interested in buying one to make a Retropie project.
    What would be more appropriate, wait compatibility and system upgrade for Rasp2 or use RaspB +?

gizmo98
    Participant

There is only one raspbian image for rpi and rpi2:
    http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/release_notes.txt
    If videocore libs are equal retropie should work out of the box.

Debian wheezy could be better, because it is a armv7 optimized distribution.

proxycell
    Participant

while there may be some improvements with the new hardware please temper your expectations… N64 emulation isn’t that great on a $20,000 computer either (in terms of compatibility)

Floob

This reviewer has said RetroPie images dont work with Raspberry Pi 2.

This is the biggest change in the Raspberry Pi we’ve seen so far and a new processor means some operating systems won’t work with the Raspberry Pi 2 out of the box. RetroPie, the operating system that turns your Pi into a game station wouldn’t load for me at all. Similarly, I didn’t have any luck manually compiling PS1 or Nintendo 64 emulators, so I wasn’t able to put the Raspberry Pi 2 through its paces for one of the most popular projects out there. Likewise, Raspbmc, the XBMC media center wouldn’t load either, but OSMC does. I didn’t have time to test other distros, but I imagine it’s the same.

http://lifehacker.com/the-raspberry-pi-2-is-faster-more-powerful-and-availa-1682814956

proxycell
    Participant

try compiling everything fresh on it

mikeonbike
    Participant

I think I read that the latest (2015-01-31) Raspbian image supports the Pi 2. Couldn’t it be possible to upgrade the image on your current RetroPie with:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo rpi-update

These updates may be core selective but if at this point the same kernel supports both versions then it might provide a migration path.

pmurch
    Participant

Registered just to confirm, yes, “apt-get upgrade” is all you’ll need to move from B/B+ to 2B, as per Ebon Upton in this interview at MakeZine:
    http://makezine.com/2015/02/02/eben-upton-raspberry-pi-2/.

This will bring down the new ArmV7 compatible kernel, while all the user land ArmV6 code maintains compatibility.

In short, we should be able to upgrade our existing Pi distro, and then freely move between the two. Right now we’ll get clock speed/ram speed boosts (which Ebon estimates at 1.5x in that interview), while later we get whatever multithreaded performance boosts come from re-compiled emulators (Up to 6x I guess?).

einbrecher
    Participant

Ignore me – didn’t see pmurch’s stuff until after I posted, lol.

pmurch
    Participant

The other revelation in that interview is that it maintains roughly the same level of overclockability, though it will likely need help staying cool whereas the B+ could usually be OC’d without additional cooling.

This is pretty promising for me, as it means we can probably bump to around 1260mhz or so without too much trouble.

I’d be surprised if between the core bump, RAM, OC ceiling, and the potential for multi threaded emus if we don’t see a playable n64 emulator on this new machine, but at the very least, it’s a rock solid $35 MAME machine with tons of room to grow as emus are upgraded to take advantage.

pmurch
    Participant

EDIT: Deleted my now unnecessary reply!

galego
    Participant

ty a lot “pmurch”

That was what I needed to know! ^_^

pmurch
    Participant

Np! All the articles out there talking about the pi 2 seem to be missing these very specific statements!

There’s still stuff that could break, but it sounds like there’s a great chance You get a quick bump from the hardware boost, and a much bigger bump in the long run as software gets optimized, without much risk.

chito
    Participant

So ive bought 2. just got them and just put the sd card in.

all i get is a coloured screen. Not even the terminal

Registered just to confirm, yes, “apt-get upgrade” is all you’ll need to move from B/B+ to 2B, as per Ebon Upton in this interview at MakeZine:
    http://makezine.com/2015/02/02/eben-upton-raspberry-pi-2/

How and where do i run this if i cant get the terminal in using my RetroPie SD card

morias
    Participant

Put the sd card in an older Raspberry Pi, eg the B+ and run the command. Then put the newly updated sd card in the new version 2 Raspberry Pi.

chito
    Participant

I thought that would have been the case. I was worried that doing so on the old hardware would not update it to the current hardware.

I know that the RetroPie image gets rid of a lot of the unused Raspian stuff. Im guessing this will add a whole bunch of useless stuff in the update and will need to be cleaned out.

Hopefully there is a new image or update script soon that has this update cleaned. Then later the updates to the emulator cores for V7.

Not sure if i should wait or have fun now and clean later

chito
    Participant

Yep didnt work. Still only get a rainbow coloured screen with no response

morias
    Participant

I haven’t received my model 2 yet, so I can’t try it myself. However, I am very interested to know if anyone gets it going in the meantime.

kitchuk
    Participant

I most excited about full speed SNES emulation. Also SFX games!

chito
    Participant

So just noticed I missed a command when updating my sd for the rpi2. Im going through the update again now. Ill let everyone know how it goes

robertybob
    Participant

Any luck? :)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 252 total)
  • The topic ‘Raspberry-pi 2 compatibility’ is closed to new replies.