Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image

Viewing 35 posts - 211 through 245 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    theroamer
    Participant

Thanks so much for putting this together, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.

I am having one issue though I’m hoping there’s a fix for. I switched skins to the default in kodi just to see what it looked like, I then switched back to the aeon theme and everything looked correct. After I launched Retropie from the menu and went back to Kodi, the Aeon skin looks like it has reverted to default settings and there is no menu item to launch Kodi, is there any fix for this short of re installing the image?

Thanks!

smithers
    Participant

Please read r.e. controller problems with v7 build!

OK guys, I’ve been ‘reverse-engineering’ my build to try and find out what the problem with controllers not working is and I’ve found out the problem… unfortunately, I have dropped a bollock here and caused this problem myself!! :oops:

When creating the build I copied elements of my old ‘retroarch.cfg’ file (that I have been using since v3 B2), and without paying attention I have copied over an incorrect directory path for where the controller configurations are held. This means that on first setup your controller setup in Emulation Station works fine, but when it comes to playing a game in any of the RetroArch emulators, it cant see that the control pad has been set up…. which means no controls for you. Doh!

So then, to fix this error I will upload a v7.1 release of my build and delete the v.7 BUT I appreciate there will be some folk who don’t want to go through the whole download / install process again so here is how you can fix it yourself, should you want to (you will need to either SSH into the Pi or press <F4> to enter the terminal on the Pi itself):

Type in the following at the command prompt:

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Now scroll down the file until you find the following line of text in the ‘Input’ section (its quite far down, line 379 to be exact):

joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/

This is the incorrect directory (it was used in an earlier version of RetroPie but changed recently). You need to change it to exactly match the below:

joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

Now save the file, exit out of the text editor and restart Emulation Station. Choose a game to run (must be via the RetroArch emulator, i.e. Megadrive, SNES, NES etc.), and you should find your controller will be set up and ready to play.

My apologies for the error and frustration I imagine you were experiencing and apologies to RetroPie admin if anyone had posted a ‘bug’ in a thread outside of this one! I will post a new link soon (tonight) for those who want to re-download. Incidentally, I have also fixed a script error within the Doom1 script (it was pointing to doom2.wad in error), and also deleted a few un-needed folders that I had left behind when compiling certain games / dependencies.

Sorry again! :oops:

All the best.
    Steve

smithers
    Participant

Here is a link to v.7.1:

[link removed]

Fixes controller errors as described above – should run perfect! :)

All the best
    Steve

mayki
    Participant

Thank you very much for solving the problem with the controls.

haris1977
    Participant

I ve tested your image and overall it is quite impressive:)

Here are my thoughts/suggestions though:

1) I d suggest to provide a “clean” kodi image (without any extra addons, except for the game-retropie addon of course).
    2) In retropie now: i couldnt use uae4arm so i reverted back to uae4all (couldnt start any game although my kickstart bios files where in the right folder)
    3) I couldnt use Quake either so i reverted back to quake from binary set up (had a conflict between my keyboard and my xbox 360 controller – i had constant move of the player when controller was on)
    4) Just a though: Brutal Doom is fantastic:D Can you install also Blood (it needs prboom libretro i think) and/or dinothwar?

I also cannot find a config.txt, in order to overclock..:(

Overall , your project is awesome!

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=105505]I ve tested your image and overall it is quite impressive:)

1) I d suggest to provide a “clean” kodi image (without any extra addons, except for the game-retropie addon of course).

[/quote]

Hi,
    For 1). The Vanilla Build which I believe is V6 have a “clean” Kodi image. You can replace the folder in V7 before install with that one and it should work. The only thing is, is that V6 is Kodi 15.1 and V7 is 14.2 if. I tried it and it did work but I also like the pre-configured version so I use both.
    Hope that helps.

And again Great work Smithers!!!!!

mayki
    Participant

[quote=105437]This is the incorrect directory (it was used in an earlier version of RetroPie but changed recently). You need to change it to exactly match the below:

joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/[/quote]

1,This problem persists when using the script on video mod 4: 3 (4_3.sh)

2,Videomode switch to 4:3 only worked for the first time, then it’s still only 16:9. You can look at the problem?

theroamer
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the update! Got a question on a few issues I’m having.

1. nes and mame are in tiny windows instead of full screen. I checked in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg and it looks like it’s set to 1280×720 so I’m not sure why this is happening. Changing it doesn’t seem to have any effect. Any ideas?

2. None of my advmame roms seem to work, they all say missing files. They all work flawlessly in the standard retropie install but in your image, none seem to work.

Thanks again for this, hoping I can get these 2 issues fixed and move over to your image permanently.

candyluv
    Participant

Hi again,
    Is there a way to add another OS to it, just like on the openelec menu and retropie menu, eg Like Raspbian or RaspEX which is really more for basic functions and Web surfing purposes.
    IF yes, how can one go about it leaving the smooth transition of the build.

Thanks in advance.

haris1977
    Participant

That would be Triple boot :P (nice idea though)!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105412]Thanks so much for putting this together, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.

I am having one issue though I’m hoping there’s a fix for. I switched skins to the default in kodi just to see what it looked like, I then switched back to the aeon theme and everything looked correct. After I launched Retropie from the menu and went back to Kodi, the Aeon skin looks like it has reverted to default settings and there is no menu item to launch Kodi, is there any fix for this short of re installing the image?
    [/quote]

I did mention in my readme file that you shouldn’t change skins in KODI!

You can set it back up again yes, in fact, with any luck it may still be lurking in the background but not enabled. Go into skin settings and ‘Change Aeon Home Menu’ (or something like that – Im not in front of it right now to confirm the exact title). In there you will see all the various different menu items – Movies/TV, Live TV etc. etc. One of them should be called ‘Games’. Look inside that and at the top there will be an ‘Enable’ button. Make sure that is checked then go back to your home screen and see if it worked. If it didn’t, then you need to set it up from scratch again I’m afraid.

I’m guessing you will have already upgraded to my 7.1 image to fix controller issues, so if you have then you will be sorted already, but if not then let me know and I will write out instructions on how to fix it.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105505]I ve tested your image and overall it is quite impressive:)

2) In retropie now: i couldnt use uae4arm so i reverted back to uae4all (couldnt start any game although my kickstart bios files where in the right folder)
    3) I couldnt use Quake either so i reverted back to quake from binary set up (had a conflict between my keyboard and my xbox 360 controller – i had constant move of the player when controller was on)
    4) Just a though: Brutal Doom is fantastic:D Can you install also Blood (it needs prboom libretro i think) and/or dinothwar?

I also cannot find a config.txt, in order to overclock..:(

[/quote]

Hi.

1) I already offer a ‘vanilla’ build or ‘tweaked’ build, and you can mix and match as needed (i.e. put the vanilla KODI NOOBS files in place of the tweaked KODI NOOBS files then install), so I don’t see any value in uploading a separate build (there are quite a few variants you can have really and I wouldn’t want to have to upload them all when it can be done already by the end user!)

2) UAE4Arm is working ok for me and I specifically use that version as it has fixes for PS3 pad usage. Did you point the emulator to the bios files and were they named correctly (kick12.rom, kick13.rom etc. if I remember rightly)

3) Again, this works fine for me using PS3 pad or using Thrustmaster Mini T Wireless so I have no reason to exclude it, as I find its a much better version of Quake (in terms of looks). I have however made it easy for you to revert back to the default ‘tyr-quake’ as I left the original script in but named it ‘Quake.shh’ so it didn’t appear in ES. Just rename it to remove the extra ‘h’ and it will appear again, and rename ‘quake.sh’ (note the lowercase ‘q’), to ‘quake.shh’ to remove the Darkplaces Quake from the ES menu.

4) I would love to get Blood up and running on the Pi, however the source code has not been released so there are no SDL / Linux ports that I’m aware of. There are some ‘Blood’ mods to be had however, one of which works in ZDoom which I included in my build, and the other is a Duke Nukem mod. I tried the Duke Nukem mod (BloodCM), but it ran very very poorly for some reason. I will re-visit it when I get a chance though.

As for Dinothawr – I had never heard of this until now. Looking into it, it shouldn’t be hard to add it in so I will try yes. I will be releasing a 7.2 image soon due to me stupidly overlooking the retroarch joypad location in my aspect ratio switching script, so if I can get Dinothawr working then I’ll include it.

As for the config.txt files – I think the easiest way to configure these is using the Pi directly. RetroPie will mount the boot partition on startup as ‘/boot’ so all you need to do is type in the following, either on the pi itself or via SSH:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

This will allow you to edit the RetroPie partitions config.txt file.

Another way to do it is via the NOOBS ‘recovery’ option whereby it allows you to change the config.txt per OS. All you need to do is plug in a keyboard and turn on the Pi whilst holding down the <shift> key. It will display the recovery menu where you can click on the relevant OS and choose ‘Change Config’ (or something like that), and it will bring up a text editor where you can edit the relevant config file, save it and boot up. I have never done this so can’t comment on how reliable it is or if it even works at all, but from what I read when researching NOOBS, you should be able to do this.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105523]

This is the incorrect directory (it was used in an earlier version of RetroPie but changed recently). You need to change it to exactly match the below:

joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

1,This problem persists when using the script on video mod 4: 3 (4_3.sh)

2,Videomode switch to 4:3 only worked for the first time, then it’s still only 16:9. You can look at the problem?

[/quote]

Indeed it does – an oversight (again) on my behalf as I use pre-configured 16:9 / 4:3 retroarch.cfg files and whilst I updated the main retroarch.cfg file, I forgot to update those 2. :/ I am fixing this and will upload a 7.2 version.

One thing I will say however – please bare in mind that the purpose of the ‘aspect ratio switcher’ is meant to be a one-time choice on first setup, for those who don’t like the stretched 16:9 image. All my script does is remove my videomodes.cfg file (so you can start afresh) and replace my retroarch.cfg file (which is set for 16:9), with a version that forces 4:3. If you switch back to 16:9 again then all it does is copy the original retroarch.cfg file over again and re-enable my videomodes.cfg file. This means that if you have made any changes to the retroarch.cfg file since setting it to 4:3 ratio then they will be lost as all my script does is copy over the top of the retroarch.cfg file that it finds present at that time.

So like I say – I envisioned this to be a one-time change and only included it for the few folk who had asked for a 4-3 build to fulfil their needs in a simple way. If you are wanting to regularly change the aspect ratio then that is fine but please be aware that you need to make a backup of your retroarch.cfg and videomodes.cfg files *if* you have made any changes to them.

Hope this makes sense!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105529]Hi, thanks for the update! Got a question on a few issues I’m having.

1. nes and mame are in tiny windows instead of full screen. I checked in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg and it looks like it’s set to 1280×720 so I’m not sure why this is happening. Changing it doesn’t seem to have any effect. Any ideas?

2. None of my advmame roms seem to work, they all say missing files. They all work flawlessly in the standard retropie install but in your image, none seem to work.

Thanks again for this, hoping I can get these 2 issues fixed and move over to your image permanently.

[/quote]

1) Sounds like an issue with your TV not being able to display the resolution properly. Press ‘x’ (or ‘button 1’ on your control pad) whilst loading a rom to enter a menu where you can change the default resolution for all nes / mame games (depending on what system you are loading at the time of course). This should sort you out but it is just trial and error until you find a resolution that suits your TV. I would recommend a common resolution, such as 720p, and whilst the retroarch.cfg states it is already outputting in 720p, it is what is held in the ‘videomodes.cfg’ file that takes preseidence over retroarch. From memory, I think it will be set to 640×480 output resolution, but that works great on my TV – full screen with no borders.

2) I mentioned this in my readme file but did not elaborate. The ‘advmame’ folder will no longer work, instead you need to put your advmame roms into the ‘arcade’ roms folder. This is because advmame will only allow 1 roms directory to be defined within its config files, so I had to choose ‘/arcade’ to allow merging of all the arcade systems properly. All other arcade emulators will allow roms to be called from any directory, so they can work as normal or via the ‘/arcade’ folder.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105550]Hi again,
    Is there a way to add another OS to it, just like on the openelec menu and retropie menu, eg Like Raspbian or RaspEX which is really more for basic functions and Web surfing purposes.
    IF yes, how can one go about it leaving the smooth transition of the build.

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Hi.

I think you should be able to install Raspbian inside the existing RetroPie partition, which would mean that a triple boot would not be needed.

If you really did want a triple boot, then yes, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t have that – it would just mean sacrificing some SD card space and creating a new script for booting into the correct partition. I would however recommend just going down the ‘install Raspbian in the RetroPie partition’ route, then adding in a simple script that executes ‘startx’.

mayki
    Participant

Hello Smithers,
    can you please upload it somewhere only yours files 16:9 / 4:3 retroarch.cfg, original retroarch.cfg, videomodes.cfg?

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=105562]
    Hi.

I think you should be able to install Raspbian inside the existing RetroPie partition, which would mean that a triple boot would not be needed.

If you really did want a triple boot, then yes, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t have that – it would just mean sacrificing some SD card space and creating a new script for booting into the correct partition. I would however recommend just going down the ‘install Raspbian in the RetroPie partition’ route, then adding in a simple script that executes ‘startx’.

[/quote]

Thanks Smithers
    Will do whatever you believe is best. I’m not sure how to go about it. I’m a noob in the area of writing scripts. Would be great to have some pacific instructions on “HOWTO” if possible thanks.

Also as I ask before
    Wanted to also know a few things:
    1) If you have a list of roms for each emulator that works well with your build, especially for psx and gameboy advance and snes. I tried mario kart but can’t recognize the writing so can’t choose the proper options but the game play it self was good. So if possible will be great if you can give some game choices.

2) How do you exit a game/emulator to return to to retropie main screen. Do it have a button function? I’m doing this by pressing “start and select”.

3)Will the Logitech rumble pad control work well with it. I wanted to get one of those.

4)Last but not the lease, connecting a “3.5” TFT LCD Touch Screen Module 320*480 RGB Display”. Would it work and if yes, how to get it to work.

You are Great and all this is wonderful and amazing. Keep up the good work.

haris1977
    Participant

Smithers thanks for your quotes!

1) I have some tweeked .wad files at your disposal (blood.wad too, which is based on doom version) in order to check them out. Here is a list to check :

http://www.2shared.com/photo/hTlCRwiQ/Untitled.html

(if you want i can provide you with those files). They work with the prboom_libretro.dll in both my windows and android machines. So i think you may try them!

2) Look what i found (http://creep.sourceforge.net/). This is the classic c64 game Castles of Dr.Creep. Can you import it in next versions alongside with dinothawr?

3) I used sudo nano /boot/config.txt, but can see nothing inside this text (null text). Is it normal? Should i only add my overcklocking values? (e.g arm_freq etc). Any “stable” oc values without sd card corruption? What i want is stability (first of all :P)

4) What is the path for the already downloaded scraper images for the games in “ports”? (duke nukem, quake, doom, etc.). I just want to delete/modify them!

Thanks!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105568]Hello Smithers,
    can you please upload it somewhere only yours files 16:9 / 4:3 retroarch.cfg, original retroarch.cfg, videomodes.cfg?

[/quote]

Hi.

I have attached the files for you. Just replace the existing files in the /home/pi/.ss/ folder and you’ll be good to go!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105569]
    Also as I ask before
    Wanted to also know a few things:
    1) If you have a list of roms for each emulator that works well with your build, especially for psx and gameboy advance and snes. I tried mario kart but can’t recognize the writing so can’t choose the proper options but the game play it self was good. So if possible will be great if you can give some game choices.

2) How do you exit a game/emulator to return to to retropie main screen. Do it have a button function? I’m doing this by pressing “start and select”.

3)Will the Logitech rumble pad control work well with it. I wanted to get one of those.

4)Last but not the lease, connecting a “3.5” TFT LCD Touch Screen Module 320*480 RGB Display”. Would it work and if yes, how to get it to work.

You are Great and all this is wonderful and amazing. Keep up the good work.

[/quote]

Hi.

I do have a list yes – I included it in earlier releases but I also think I attached a rom list somewhere in this thread too. If you can’t find it then let me know and I can do another directory print of my roms. As for Mario Kart 64 – if you use the libretro N64 emulator (which I believe is used as standard), then yes the picture will be garbled in the menu screen. If you use a different emulator for that rom then you will find it works fine throughout (press ‘x’ when loading the rom to get into the emulator choice menu).

The ‘exit emulator’ key is ‘start+select’ as standard yes, and also <Esc> on the keyboard. You can set it to whatever you want but I think you need to edit the retroarch.cfg file to do that. Also bare in mind that not all emulators use retroarch / libretro so that config file does not cover all emulators, just the most common ones. You will find some of the ports need configuring via their own setup files / menus, for example.

Sorry but I don’t know about that joypad, but I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. The rumble feature may not work though (it doesn’t with my PS3 pads), so if there is a ‘non-rumble’ version for cheaper then you may want to opt for that instead. I mainly use a Thrustmaster Mini T Wireless which does the job nicely – if anyone wanted the config files for it then let me know and you can have them to save you a long winded job setting them up!

I can’t see any reason why a 320×480 screen would not work but I have never tried this so Im not really the right person to ask! One thing I will say is that you will have to adjust the resolution to suit the screen (I have set it to 720p for RetroPie and 1080p for OpenELEC). Also, I notice there is an official Raspberry Pi touch-screen that has been released today which I think is 800×480 resolution. Might be better to go for that for maximum compatibility.

Good luck!
    Steve

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105571]Smithers thanks for your quotes!

1) I have some tweeked .wad files at your disposal (blood.wad too, which is based on doom version) in order to check them out. Here is a list to check :

http://www.2shared.com/photo/hTlCRwiQ/Untitled.html

(if you want i can provide you with those files). They work with the prboom_libretro.dll in both my windows and android machines. So i think you may try them!

2) Look what i found (http://creep.sourceforge.net/). This is the classic c64 game Castles of Dr.Creep. Can you import it in next versions alongside with dinothawr?

3) I used sudo nano /boot/config.txt, but can see nothing inside this text (null text). Is it normal? Should i only add my overcklocking values? (e.g arm_freq etc). Any “stable” oc values without sd card corruption? What i want is stability (first of all :P)

4) What is the path for the already downloaded scraper images for the games in “ports”? (duke nukem, quake, doom, etc.). I just want to delete/modify them!

Thanks!

[/quote]

Hi.

1) Do you have a link for those wad files? I assume they are mods as I don’t think prboom supports the ‘real’ wads for those games?

2) I’m not familiar with that game personally, however I’m not actually sure if there would be any value in adding it as reading the website page it states you need to have a copy of the original game to be able to play it. That means I can’t include it as a ready to play port (for copyright reasons).

3) hmmm, that means that it hasn’t opened the file and instead it is creating it, hence it is blank. Can I check what system you are in when typing that – RetroPie or OpenELEC? The OpenELEC file is located at /flash/config.txt and the RetroPie file is located at /boot/config.txt but you need to be in the appropriate OS at the time to be able to edit it like that.

4) The path is the same as the original paths – /home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/ports/. I would say there is no need to delete any files (as they are only small), however if you want to delete or change them then make sure you look in the gamelist.xml file to ensure you are targeting the correct file – I haven’t necessarily named them the same way as the scraper would so don’t make a guess without checking!

Cheers.
    Steve

haris1977
    Participant

Thanks Smithers again!

Unfortunately i do not remember the download site for my *wads. What i remember is that i created them (with patcher.exe). Thesy also needed prboom.wad and Doom.wad i think..I use them with retroarch (windows7) and prboom_libretro.dll and they work..I just told you in case you could revive them in linux

Anyway, the real thing i am facing now is the black vertical bars (right and left) when i am launching retropie from inside kodi. These bars remain on my EmulationStation menu (where the emulators are). Any ideas why? My tv set is 21:9 aspect ratio and i assume the problem relies in there..

My tv here : http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=56PFL9954H/12&mid=Link_FAQs&scy=GR&slg=AEN

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105763]Thanks Smithers again!

Unfortunately i do not remember the download site for my *wads. What i remember is that i created them (with patcher.exe). Thesy also needed prboom.wad and Doom.wad i think..I use them with retroarch (windows7) and prboom_libretro.dll and they work..I just told you in case you could revive them in linux

Anyway, the real thing i am facing now is the black vertical bars (right and left) when i am launching retropie from inside kodi. These bars remain on my EmulationStation menu (where the emulators are). Any ideas why? My tv set is 21:9 aspect ratio and i assume the problem relies in there..

My tv here : http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=56PFL9954H/12&mid=Link_FAQs&scy=GR&slg=AEN

[/quote]

I’m not familiar with modding wads in that way I’m afraid so Im not able to test this out. If you were able to upload the wad files somewhere then I can certainly take a look at adding them in? Let me know.

Definitely sounds like your TV is the ‘issue’ here (not so much an issue but a compatibility thing). You might want to try changing the resolution in config.txt on the retropie boot partition. If OpenELEC is displaying ok then tThat would suggest your TV is happy with 1080p, so try changing the retropie resolution to the following, which is 1080p:

hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=82

There are loads more resolutions to try though – see below link:

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options

You can also change the aspect ratio inside the main retroarch.cfg file to suit your TV. If you edit the file you will notice that in the ‘aspect ratio’ section I have included (but commented out) a number of different aspect ratio codes – you can try one that works best with your TV (if it is a problem).

Good luck!
    Steve

candyluv
    Participant

Hi Smithers,

I believe I found your list. Will have to pick out from my collection and rename it to what you have. Thanks
    Also I’m not sure how to go about it. I’m a noob in the area of writing scripts. It would be great to have some pacific instructions on “HOWTO” if possible on how to add “Raspbian” to your image thanks.

haris1977
    Participant

Smithers thanks again. My Openelec’s 1080p display is ok, so i will try to change the resolution in config.txt on the retropie boot partition.

Here is the Modded Blood wad file (+ the prboom.wad) to check them out. Retroarch needs them both in the same dir in order to run:

http://www.2shared.com/file/LnhHNNj5/Blood_and_PrBoomwad.html

Hoping to hear from y:)

smithers
    Participant

OK, I just tried it and it works, however I notice that the Blood weapons and HUD are not included, so I guess this isn’t a total conversion and it is just maps and some monsters, or am I mistaken? Also, instead of the robed characters being in the game I notice there are characters from Wolfenstein!?

I know there is a Zdoom Blood mod available, which is a total conversion – would it be better to include that or do you think this modded wad file is better and I’m just not using it properly?

And finally – is the wad file a direct hack of the original doom.wad? If so then I probably can’t include it for copyright reasons, however I could leave a script in there ready to be enabled should anyone want it? (same as how I do for other ‘full version’ games).

haris1977
    Participant

Hmm..maybe i haven’t made my self clear.

It is not a full Blood game yes. It is a Doom-like game, with the doom engine inside. In other words it is like playing a crazy mix of Doom+Wolfenstain but in a Blood World:P

It is NOT a Zdoom Blood mod convertion i believe though. But i think it needs the shareware Doom.wad file to be included in the PATCHER.EXE. It is like merging Doom+patch=blood. Unfortunately I do not remember how i did it, but here is the patch file to investigate:

http://www.2shared.com/file/RS3XTZT6/PATCHER.html

Is the gamepad working within the game?Any lag ?

smithers
    Participant

ahh ok, well I will leave an ‘un-enabled’ script in there for you if you wanted to try it out. The gamepad works yes, as it uses the normal retroarch setup.

I have just installed and tried Zblood and that seems to work fine so I will include that in my next build too, however it requires a full version of ‘doom2.wad’ to be able to work.

haris1977
    Participant

What do y mean by “Un-enabled?”. With an shh extension on the script?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105798]What do y mean by “Un-enabled?”. With an shh extension on the script?

[/quote]

Exactly that yes. I will name it ‘lr-blood.shh’ whereas the Zblood variant will be named ‘ZBlood.shh’.

On the subject – if I knew how to do it I would create my own advanced script where it would present a series of options to allow the ‘enabling’ of these ports etc. but I am not clued up in Linux enough yet to be able to create such a script so the end-user has to do it themselves manually. :/

haris1977
    Participant

That’s good news! :)

We are keeping our fingers crossed for the next versions..

Another question that came to my mind: Is there any way to only update the retropie image – when a new update of yours is going to be released?
    I have setup my openelec build as i want – and it was a pain in the ass (as i had to manually add some favorites etc). So i dont want to re-install both images from the beggining.I am using the usb installation method though..

smithers
    Participant

[quote=105808]That’s good news! :)

We are keeping our fingers crossed for the next versions..

Another question that came to my mind: Is there any way to only update the retropie image – when a new update of yours is going to be released?
    I have setup my openelec build as i want – and it was a pain in the ass (as i had to manually add some favorites etc). So i dont want to re-install both images from the beggining.I am using the usb installation method though..

[/quote]

Yes I realise it is not feasible to do a full install *every* time, however I look upon 7.2 as the first build to not contain bugs, hence why I am holding back on releasing it until its all tested, as I don’t expect to be releasing a new build for a while in the future (until the next milestone is reached in RetroPie for example). That being said – there is a backup option inside OpenELEC which will save your current setup as-is to a tar file. You can then copy this tar file over into a fresh build of OpenELEC and it should theoretically become an exact copy, addons favourites everything.

You can do it by copying the actual files off the SD card as well, if you have linux, but I would recommend going down the backup route instead.

haris1977
    Participant

The only backup procedure i can think of is by going into :

program addons=>openelec configuration=>system=>create system and kodi backup.

A *tar backup file is stored in /storage/backups. If i move this file into the same folder of my new image, will this work?

I am not 100% that’s why i ask..

smithers
    Participant

I do believe that is the correct way to do it yes, but you may want to do a trial run first if you had a spare SD card as Ive never done it myself?

smithers
    Participant

OK so I’ve had a number of people asking for a RetroPie / Rasplex dual boot image and I think I may have figured out how to do it. I was struggling for ages trying to get my script to run but then I realised that Rasplex wants Python scripts, not bash scripts! So a quick crash course on Python scripting and I have a very basic script that seems to work. 8-)

I know nothing about Rasplex, literally nothing, so could do with some advice on a couple of things by a more seasoned Rasplex user. OK so firstly, from what I gather, Rasplex is not about using internet streaming addons (like in KODI), rather it is for playing your own personal media from say, a NAS drive or the likes – correct? So this being the case, I’m guessing that there are no addons or extras that need installing and what you get ‘as-is’ in a fresh copy is all you need to get going – is that correct?

Now I have had to install a different skin to enable custom scripts (Aeon, of course!), and what I am left with is a very basic looking home screen with only the following options available:

Channel Directory
    Search
    Games (links directly to my script)
    Settings
    Shutdown

I need someone to tell me if there is anything else I would need to add to make it ready for you to set up. I have not registered for a Plex account or set up my NAS drive (to keep it clean before I make a tarball of the install), so when I click on ‘Channel Directory’ nothing happens. Can someone advise what is meant to happen?

I don’t know, I was kind of expecting to see the normal ‘TV Shows’, ‘Movies’, ‘Music’ etc. but its just not there so looks very basic and Im not sure if it just magically springs to life once you connect your account and NAS drive up.

Anyway, like I say I have my script working so I can offer this as a dual boot option now, I just want to make sure it is ready to be released in its current state or whether I need to do some more work on it.

Any Plex experts out there reading this? :?:

Viewing 35 posts - 211 through 245 (of 371 total)
  • The topic ‘RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image’ is closed to new replies.