Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image

Viewing 35 posts - 281 through 315 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    smithers
    Participant

[quote=106018]Hi,
    For anyone that can answer.
    I’m trying to setup one for my friend and he will be using a *Rii mini Qwerty wireless keyboard* so I’m trying to MAP it for retropie gaming.
    Do anyone have a recommendation/listing for what buttons I should put for a particular function.
    It would be much appreciated for some assistance in that area.
    Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Hi.

You could do this, however I can only imagine it would be very poor to use as a controller! I have a similar keyboard so I think I see hwere you’re going with this, and it should be possible, but in practice I think you’ll find it won’t be suitable.

I would strongly recommend a real pad instead!

All the best.
    Steve

haris1977
    Participant

1) I think one browser is enough (the most light, stable and quick one-i think is chromium?). I dont know if it plays flash content though..

2) I think it should be released with ‘minimal’ build, and then we can add whatever addons we want:)

Just my though

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106043]1) I think one browser is enough (the most light, stable and quick one-i think is chromium?). I dont know if it plays flash content though..

2) I think it should be released with ‘minimal’ build, and then we can add whatever addons we want:)

Just my though

[/quote]

I agree on both points. I prefer my minimal build of KODI and like you say the option is there to add whatever you want – you can even install the beast build yourself should you so desire.

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=106042]

Hi.

You could do this, however I can only imagine it would be very poor to use as a controller! I have a similar keyboard so I think I see hwere you’re going with this, and it should be possible, but in practice I think you’ll find it won’t be suitable.

I would strongly recommend a real pad instead!

All the best.
    Steve

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah they intend to get one but for now they will be using the keyboard.
    Do you have a config ex. A, B, L etc that I can copy/duplicate manually??

As for the Raspbian seems that most just wants the
    1) file manager/usb access
    2) Media Player to play videos etc eg. vlc player
    3) Web Browser eg. IceWeasel/Epiphany browser/Chromium/ which ever is best
    4) LibreOffice – it is also made to be use in raspbian. Don’t know of any alternatives but .

The size seems up to 3GB – 4GB to accommodate the software since it seems it will pick up a little space.
    And my pick of the kodi build will be the beast but I can possibly install it myself.

Great work thanks.

smithers
    Participant

Quick video showing the triple-boot in action:

https://youtu.be/nK1zlwGXQuo

Soon as I sort out that persistent black box around Cario Dock then I’ll get this packaged up and uploaded. I know what the problem is and how to fix it but it re-appears on every reboot of Raspbian. If I can’t fix it then I’ll ditch Cairo-Dock – its not a necessity.

Feedback on theming welcomed – I made the Raspbian RetroPie logo myself as there isn’t an actual logo to be found. :/

Anyways, I’m off to bed. Another late one! :s

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=106055]Quick video showing the triple-boot in action:

Soon as I sort out that persistent black box around Cario Dock then I’ll get this packaged up and uploaded. I know what the problem is and how to fix it but it re-appears on every reboot of Raspbian. If I can’t fix it then I’ll ditch Cairo-Dock – its not a necessity.

Feedback on theming welcomed – I made the Raspbian RetroPie logo myself as there isn’t an actual logo to be found. :/

Anyways, I’m off to bed. Another late one! :s

[/quote]

Hi,
    Everything looks great.
    As for the black box around Cario Dock, I for one don’t have a problem with it being there. I like the Dock and would not have notice the problem if you had not mention it lol.

You have created another master piece Great work as always.

haris1977
    Participant

[quote]
    Quick video showing the triple-boot in action:

[/quote]

Whow! This is fantastic! Great work man:)

The only thing that remains is a quadro boot with android lollipop 5.1 when it will be stable and not laggy! :P:P

As for my part now. Smithers, i want to run my uploaded image of Blood.wad with retroarch gamepad settings (not ZBlood). What is the .sh file i have to alter? Doom 1 shareware.sh?

I have also found Brutal Wolfenstein for ZDoom. If you want i can upload it..

mayki
    Participant

Hello Smithers,
    how to enable this feature?

RetroPie_OpenELEC_Dual-Boot_v7.1_SS

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106080]Hello Smithers,
    how to enable this feature?

RetroPie_OpenELEC_Dual-Boot_v7.1_SS

[/quote]

Hi.

Bring up the Emulation Station menu (normally by pressing ‘Start’ on your controller), go to ‘UI Settings’ and set ‘On-Screen Help’ to ‘ON’.

I personally prefer it off as my pads don’t have buttons ‘A B X Y’ (they are PS3 pad style), but to each their own!

All the best.
    Steve

p.s. don’t touch the theme whilst you’re in there or you’ll lose my extra system additions! Leave the theme as ‘ss’.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106048]Do you have a config ex. A, B, L etc that I can copy/duplicate manually??
    [/quote]

I’m afraid I don’t. You will need to either go through the motions in the Emulation Station ‘Joypad Setup’ script, or edit the es_input.cfg file manually. Please bare in mind that the es_input.cfg file requires keyboard characters to be entered in using their ‘key code’ (for want of a better term). What I mean is that it won’t accept for example ‘W’ ‘S’ ‘A’ ‘D’ as ‘up down left right’, you need to find the key code that corresponds to the ‘W A S D’ keys and enter them. Here is an example of my own es_input.cfg file but please don’t be tempted to copy this as it will not be what you need (I created it for a wireless air mouse / keyboard / remote combo):

<inputConfig type="keyboard" deviceName="Keyboard">
        <input name="up" type="key" id="1073741906" value="1"/>
        <input name="right" type="key" id="1073741903" value="1"/>
        <input name="down" type="key" id="1073741905" value="1"/>
        <input name="left" type="key" id="1073741904" value="1"/>
        <input name="a" type="key" id="13" value="1"/>
        <input name="b" type="key" id="1073741925" value="1"/>
        <input name="start" type="key" id="1073741926" value="1"/>
      </inputConfig>

Those long strings of numbers are key codes that were interpreted by Linux from my remote. Yours will be different no doubt.

Honestly – your best bet is to plug in the keyboard and set them up through the GUI. That way the settings should be carried through into Retroarch too for the libretro emulators, preventing you having to set those up manually too.

Good luck!
    Smithers

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106063]As for my part now. Smithers, i want to run my uploaded image of Blood.wad with retroarch gamepad settings (not ZBlood). What is the .sh file i have to alter? Doom 1 shareware.sh?
    [/quote]

Hi.

You need to copy your ‘Blood.wad’ file into /home/pi/retropie/roms/ports/doom/Blood.wad then rename the lr-blood.shh file to lr-blood.sh (as usual, remove the extra h). It should then show in emulation station and link up with a screenshot. Make sure the case of your wad file is exactly ‘Blood.wad’, not ‘blood.wad’ or ‘BLOOD.WAD’ etc.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106048]
    As for the Raspbian seems that most just wants the
    1) file manager/usb access
    2) Media Player to play videos etc eg. vlc player
    3) Web Browser eg. IceWeasel/Epiphany browser/Chromium/ which ever is best
    4) LibreOffice – it is also made to be use in raspbian. Don’t know of any alternatives but .

The size seems up to 3GB – 4GB to accommodate the software since it seems it will pick up a little space.
    And my pick of the kodi build will be the beast but I can possibly install it myself.
    [/quote]

You’re right – the size I am looking at now is around 4.5GB, that is with only the aforementioned applications installed! :o

I’m not going to write this off, but allocating 5GB+ just for Raspbian means alot less space for everything else, we’re talking that a 32GB card would be the recommended size for this build I think.

I forgot to mention but I did take your advice on RaspEX and it looks good – I have downloaded it but not had a chance to try it out yet. Do you know if it is a more lightweight distro than Raspbian?

Also, as for the beast build – I can add the repository in so it is ready to install, should you want it. It is just a simple click of a button really, so technically I can offer both options in one build. Makes life a bit easier I think!

All the best,
    Steve

smithers
    Participant

Rasplex / Retropie Dual-Boot is now ready to download but I have created a new thread specifically for that build, so not to get lost in this lonnnngg thread!

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=106094]

I’m not going to write this off, but allocating 5GB+ just for Raspbian means alot less space for everything else, we’re talking that a 32GB card would be the recommended size for this build I think.

I forgot to mention but I did take your advice on RaspEX and it looks good – I have downloaded it but not had a chance to try it out yet. Do you know if it is a more lightweight distro than Raspbian?

Also, as for the beast build – I can add the repository in so it is ready to install, should you want it. It is just a simple click of a button really, so technically I can offer both options in one build. Makes life a bit easier I think!

All the best,
    Steve

[/quote]

HI,
    As for RaspEX is a combination of Debian 8.0 (Jessie) and Ubuntu 15.04 but its said that it’s suppose to be faster than raspbian but I’m still playing around with it. It have some pre-install software on it so be both are new to it lol.
    Have not been able to find out much online about it probably because it have not been around that long.
    I don’t have any problem with the size the triple boot will be. It should be understood that it will require a larger memory card. I already use 32GB cards to it will just be more unused space been use on it hahaha.

Great Work and looking forward to triple boot.

haris1977
    Participant

[quote=106093]
    You need to copy your ‘Blood.wad’ file into /home/pi/retropie/roms/ports/doom/Blood.wad then rename the lr-blood.shh file to lr-blood.sh (as usual, remove the extra h)
    [/quote]

Oh..my mistake (mea culpa)..I forgot to tell you i have not updated my RetroPie_KODI-Beast_DualBoot_7.1_SS to the newest, so i dont have the lr-blood.sh script. So, can you upload it somewhere? Or paste the command line?

Thanks

DNArjen
    Participant

[quote=105950]
    You’re welcome – hope you enjoy! Let me know how you get on, I’m always keen to hear if it works for people at their end like it does mine!!

All the best.
    Steve

[/quote]

This beast-build works just great!!
    Most Add-Ons in this build just work “out of the box”, only a little tweaking on some local settings like Timezone or subtitles, but nothing special.

On the Retropie side, I’ve made a NFS mount to the NAS I own. Edited het fstab and crontab files in /etc and all the roms on the NAS are loaded on startup. Now I have almost endless space for the roms and it loads just like if it is on the Pi (or SD) itself. Even both controllers (Logitech Rumblepad and a PS3) are working the first time booting. Not even a single error.
    Even my daughter (9 yrs) is playing these old games now. :)

If I find any errors or hiccups (which I doubt) I’ll let you know.

Thanks again for the GREAT work!

sharkyenergy
    Participant

hello!

Thank you very much for sharing this!

I would have 2 questions about this:

1) how big are the partitions for each system? can they be expanded?
    2) how do you update one or the other system when updates are released?

Thanks!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106116]
    This beast-build works just great!!
    Most Add-Ons in this build just work “out of the box”, only a little tweaking on some local settings like Timezone or subtitles, but nothing special.

On the Retropie side, I’ve made a NFS mount to the NAS I own. Edited het fstab and crontab files in /etc and all the roms on the NAS are loaded on startup. Now I have almost endless space for the roms and it loads just like if it is on the Pi (or SD) itself. Even both controllers (Logitech Rumblepad and a PS3) are working the first time booting. Not even a single error.
    Even my daughter (9 yrs) is playing these old games now. :)

If I find any errors or hiccups (which I doubt) I’ll let you know.

Thanks again for the GREAT work!

[/quote]

Excellent, I’m glad its working out for you. Good idea to use the nas drive. I have one myself so I should really use it for something other than SD card backups! Its sitting with about 2.4TB free right now, clearly wasted haha!

I can’t wait til my son is old enough to appreciate the retro games. He’s only 20months old so all he wants to do is bash the controllers around the house. :/

Who needs an Xbox or ps4 when you have RetroPie though eh? :)

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106121]hello!

Thank you very much for sharing this!

I would have 2 questions about this:

1) how big are the partitions for each system? can they be expanded?
    2) how do you update one or the other system when updates are released?

Thanks!

[/quote]

Hi.

The partitions for beast build are around 1.4gb for KODI and the rest is allocated to RetroPie. For my normal KODI build, KODI is allocated around 1GB.

As for updates – both systems work in the normal manner. RetroPie is via the RetroPie Setup Script and KODI is through the GUI for none ‘milestone’ updates and via a .tar file for major updates (as far as I understand it). Either way, they should both work in their normal manner, the fact they are dual booted should make no difference.

sharkyenergy
    Participant

Thanks! What about your scripts and modifications when we update? Will they all get lost?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106153]Thanks! What about your scripts and modifications when we update? Will they all get lost?

[/quote]

For RetroPie – definitely not. For OpenELEC – they shouldn’t, but I have never upgraded it before via a .tar file so I can’t say anything for definite. From what I gather, all addons and skin settings should be untouched when upgrading KODI.

haris1977
    Participant

Smithers

Can y upload the lr-blood.shh file in /home/pi/retropie/roms/ports ? I dont have the time to re-install the 7.2 image..

mayki
    Participant

[quote=106155]Smithers

Can y upload the lr-blood.shh file in /home/pi/retropie/roms/ports ? I dont have the time to re-install the 7.2 image..

[/quote]

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=106091]
    I’m afraid I don’t. You will need to either go through the motions in the Emulation Station ‘Joypad Setup’ script, or edit the es_input.cfg file manually. Please bare in mind that the es_input.cfg file requires keyboard characters to be entered in using their ‘key code’ (for want of a better term). What I mean is that it won’t accept for example ‘W’ ‘S’ ‘A’ ‘D’ as ‘up down left right’, you need to find the key code that corresponds to the ‘W A S D’ keys and enter them. Here is an example of my own es_input.cfg file but please don’t be tempted to copy this as it will not be what you need (I created it for a wireless air mouse / keyboard / remote combo):

</inputConfig>

Those long strings of numbers are key codes that were interpreted by Linux from my remote. Yours will be different no doubt.

Honestly – your best bet is to plug in the keyboard and set them up through the GUI. That way the settings should be carried through into Retroarch too for the libretro emulators, preventing you having to set those up manually too.

Good luck!
    Smithers

[/quote]

Hi,
    This is the keyboard I was talking about LotFancy® Mini 2.4GHz Black Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad for PC, Pad, Andriod TV Box, Google TV Box, Xbox360, PS3 & HTPC IPTV and I have this one: Rii Mini i6 Wireless USB Keyboard + Trackpad + Universal IR Remote Controller (Black).

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106156]

Smithers

[/quote]

Thanks mayki!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=106161]

</inputConfig>

Good luck!
    Smithers

Hi,
    This is the keyboard I was talking about LotFancy® Mini 2.4GHz Black Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad for PC, Pad, Andriod TV Box, Google TV Box, Xbox360, PS3 & HTPC IPTV and I have this one: Rii Mini i6 Wireless USB Keyboard + Trackpad + Universal IR Remote Controller (Black).

[/quote]

Yeah I have a similar one myself. Quite a generic design there are hundreds of variants!

haris1977
    Participant

[quote=106156]

Smithers

[/quote]

Mayki thanks man:)

robertus
    Participant
    haris1977
    Participant

1) I ve managed to start lr-blood.sh (I first changed the name to Blood.sh but in the beggining i had permission denied problem so i used the command):

chmod +x /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ports/Blood.sh

The problem is that i do not have controller any more (the other ports like doom, quake, play normally). A yellow text for XBox controller also appears. Any thoughts?

2) Smithers, i see on your youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxjabijmIWM) that you have managed to run OPENBOR in RetroPie (2 games). Are y planning on updating your image with this engine? Some games look great !!

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=106164]
    Yeah I have a similar one myself. Quite a generic design there are hundreds of variants!

[/quote]

Yeah there are. I bought my keyboard about 5 years ago when there was only a few different ones and Mine still works.

How soon will the triple boot be up?

sharkyenergy
    Participant

Hello!

I was trying to repartition the sd card.. i have a 16 gb partition, and would like to have the openelec partition 6 gb (for plugins and streaming with pulsar) and the rest the retropie..

i tried with gparted, but it doesnt let me move the last partition (32 mb) and wihtout moving that partition I cannot resize openelec.

Any Idea on how to procede?

Thanks!

ukbootlegs
    Participant

Thank you for taking the time to create this, but I am new to Pi (it was running OSMC only)

How do I exit an emulator?

I am using the Xbox 360 controller.

Also, when I try and start the Amiga emulator, it just returns to the Amiga selection option.

Thx

ukbootlegs
    Participant

OK

worked out howw to exit an emulator by mapping a button combo

but i cant get the amiga emulators to run

sharkyenergy
    Participant

hello! just booted and would have some questions/problems to sort out…

1) on each reboot it shows the joypad configuration script. doesnt seem to be saving the data… how to fix?

2) if I go into the show IP setting, when it comes back i lose all controls and cant do anything.

3) how can I set the screen up not to stretch the image?

4) whats the login data for remote ssh?

thanks!

EDIT: SORRY DIDNT NOTICE THAT THERE WAS A NEWER BUILD ON PAGE 8! THANKS!

denmiclaw
    Participant

Smithers, first off, let me say thank you for this build. As a newbie Pi and Linux user, you’ve made this staggeringly easy to set up.

I did want to ask one thing, I don’t know if it’s retroarch, or retropie, emulation station, or your theme – so I figured I’d ask you here :)

Can you set up a separate category for an emulator on the menu? What I’d like to have, are 2 separate entries for the TG16 – one for the normal games and one for the TG 16 CD, much like the Sega entries are all seperate (Megadrive, CD, 32X). Is that possible?

Thanks again for this!!!

Viewing 35 posts - 281 through 315 (of 371 total)
  • The topic ‘RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image’ is closed to new replies.