Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image

Viewing 35 posts - 141 through 175 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    ianrobbie
    Participant

Just wanted to add.

I came here from Reddit and, despite spending most of the day setting up Kodi within Retropie through another method, I decided to ditch my work and go along with this image.

I should have used this one from the start. Effortless setup, great to look at and all the best add-ons already pre-installed.

Simply amazing work.

One wee addendum, though. I had trouble getting my Dualshock 3 recognised via Bluetooth and had to delve into the settings to individually pair the controller. Just thought I’d share my method here in case anyone else is having trouble.

Just go here – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-a-PS3-controller
    and follow the instructions. Worked like a charm.

Thanks again. You’ve made my life so much easier. I owe you a beer!

smithers
    Participant

Hi all.

Quick post before I go to bed (its 2am and I have work @ 8am. :s )

After around 4 hours of compiling and testing and 6GB of dependancy downloads (!!)…. I have now got a version of NOOBS installer that will allow installing via a USB stick!

“So what??”, I hear you cry… well this means that you can now claw back nearly all of your precious SD card space as it no longer has to carry the burden of the recovery files. This means a saving of approx 1GB, based upon my last build and it means I can potentially include more in my builds (if necessary) without the sacrifice of SD card space and not so much stripping back is required. It also means that an 8GB install is completely feasible now, whereas before you had very little space to play with.

The thing that makes it important to me personally is that now I can make a backup of my entire 32GB build via a .tar.xz file and use it as a custom installer option via USB drive, making life much easier if I upgrade to a 64GB card, or when my current card breaks (its been abused alot by this venture!), I know that any 32GB replacement card will work (.img files have an exact size that needs to be adhered to whereas this NOOBS method doesn’t).

Anyway – its something Ive been trying to solve for a while until I eventually stumbled over a Github fork of NOOBS for this sole purpose. What a swine it was to compile though!! :o

I will address questions tomorrow and will finally get the ‘Vanilla’ build out! :o (and it will be based on this ‘new’ version of NOOBS so you have the option of USB install or normal – as will all of my builds from now).

All the best,
    Steve

rayrayrr
    Participant

I literally just registered to say thanks for all your work smithers!
    I have been following and lurking since your first post!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103735]I literally just registered to say thanks for all your work smithers!
    I have been following and lurking since your first post!

[/quote]

Thanks – I appreciate it!

[quote=103721]Just wanted to add.

I came here from Reddit and, despite spending most of the day setting up Kodi within Retropie through another method, I decided to ditch my work and go along with this image.

I should have used this one from the start. Effortless setup, great to look at and all the best add-ons already pre-installed.

Simply amazing work.

One wee addendum, though. I had trouble getting my Dualshock 3 recognised via Bluetooth and had to delve into the settings to individually pair the controller. Just thought I’d share my method here in case anyone else is having trouble.

Just go here – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-a-PS3-controller
    and follow the instructions. Worked like a charm.

Thanks again. You’ve made my life so much easier. I owe you a beer!

[/quote]

Thanks – appreciate it. I see someone else has issues with PS3 controllers too – hopefully your link will sort them out, thanks!

To follow on from the controller issues people face – I have had luck with PS3 pads in the past but have turned to a different style of controller (Thrustmaster Mini T Wireless). I fully intend on going back to the PS3 pads and would be happy to share my controller configs for folk to l when I do make the switch. I would also do the same for other controllers, if I had them. In sure I could borrow an XBOX pad for a while to work on it, but this is all in the future, if people were interested.

Ok so now that I have had time to play with OpenELEC Isengard RC1, I must say I’m a little disappointed with the stability of it. Normally it is rock solid but it’s crashed out on me a few times and I get a constant nag about an ‘extended info’ script needing to be installed. I’m sure any such issues will be ironed out when Isengard is ready for final release but for now, I’m going to move away from it.

So what I intend to do is release different flavours of my build, to allow full choice to you, the end user. I will work on adapting a build of OSMC and Rasplex that can be optional installs.

I have never used either of these OS’s, but user @agrasan messaged me saying you can directly link to scripts within OSMC so that may make life easier (thanks for the heads up, agrasan!) Rasplex on the other hand – I have no idea, but will investigate! (unless anyone experienced in Rasplex could advise on if this is possible or not from the outset?).

Vanilla build is still my first priority! Expect it soon (how many times can I say that until you get annoyed waiting for it? Haha).

All the best,
    Steve

d3s1
    Participant

[quote=103748]

Ok so now that I have had time to play with OpenELEC Isengard RC1, I must say I’m a little disappointed with the stability of it. Normally it is rock solid but it’s crashed out on me a few times and I get a constant nag about an ‘extended info’ script needing to be installed. I’m sure any such issues will be ironed out when Isengard is ready for final release but for now, I’m going to move away from it.

Vanilla build is still my first priority! Expect it soon (how many times can I say that until you get annoyed waiting for it? Haha).

All the best,
    Steve

[/quote]

If there’s a need to revert to Helix, there is a build that addresses the SDCARD issue in my previous post – here’s the link: http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/75281-openelec-5-0-3-still-corrupts-sd-card-on-pi2?start=210#137875 The way I’ve done this is in the past is to download the tar file in the 1st link and put it into the “Update” folder when you browse to the IP of your running OpenELEC Helix instance. In other words, install Helix then update using the tar file. There’s also the .img file which could be even easier, though I personnally haven’t tested it.

As for the Vanilla, yes please! :)

[quote=103734]

The thing that makes it important to me personally is that now I can make a backup of my entire 32GB build via a .tar.xz file and use it as a custom installer option via USB drive, making life much easier if I upgrade to a 64GB card, or when my current card breaks (its been abused alot by this venture!), I know that any 32GB replacement card will work (.img files have an exact size that needs to be adhered to whereas this NOOBS method doesn’t).

[/quote]

I’d love to hear more about this feature. I’m sure you’ll release details as to how to do this. Thanks!

smithers
    Participant

Hi all.

Here is a ‘Vanilla’ build of RetroPie / OSMC:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swgen48306ko3v1/RetroPie_OSMC_Vanilla_DualBoot_v1_SS.zip?dl=0

Both OS’s are standard in every way other than my scripts to switch between OS’s. OSMC will prompt you with its normal ‘First Setup’ steps after install and RetroPie will ask for controller setup as normal. I have not modified either system in any other way so they will act and perform as the standard builds would.

This build allows installing via the normal SD card method OR using a USB stick to store the OS’s on. If you use the USB stick method then you will only lose around 125MB to install files, whereas using the normal SD card method you will lose around 800MB. I recommend using USB!

Full instructions in the normal ‘README’ file. I’ve tested it a few times and it works great but please let me know how you get on!

I will look into RasPlex next as a ‘Vanilla’ build then work on ‘full’ builds for both, which should allow time for RetroPie v3 final to arrive! :)

As for the OpenELEC build – I’m not sure what to do for the best. I like the stability of KODI v14 but if that has SD card corruption issues then I don’t want to package it up and release it for fear of creating problems for folk. As for the v15 release candidate – it seems to me like it has some bugs that cause it to crash quite a bit. I think I would rather wait for v15 final than use any other Betas, but not sure when that will be. :/

Anyway – Hope this helps someone. I’ve never used OSMC before but some people seem to prefer it so here it is.

All the best.
    Steve

p.s. I forgot to mention, I have created a separate ‘OSMC’ theme, instead of using the normal KODI theme. So that is another change to the RetroPie build, but nothing major. Let me know what you think of the theme!

smithers
    Participant

Haha, my Dropbox links are currently suspended so you wont be able to download this. :/

I’ll upload it to MEGA instead now. Link to follow….

smithers
    Participant

MEGA link:

[link removed]

smithers
    Participant

Hmmm, I’ve just been looking into Plex and it is not at all what I thought it was. I thought it was another variant of KODI, but it appears not; rather it is a standalone media centre, with no addon support (to speak of)?

From the outset, I dont think it will be possible to create a link to boot RetroPie from in there so I think its a lost cause.

I think instead, when the stable v15 of OpenELEC is released I will include the PlexBMC addon, which kind of gives the best of both worlds (so I read anyway!).

d3s1
    Participant

[quote=103790]Hmmm, I’ve just been looking into Plex and it is not at all what I thought it was. I thought it was another variant of KODI, but it appears not; rather it is a standalone media centre, with no addon support (to speak of)?

From the outset, I dont think it will be possible to create a link to boot RetroPie from in there so I think its a lost cause.

I think instead, when the stable v15 of OpenELEC is released I will include the PlexBMC addon, which kind of gives the best of both worlds (so I read anyway!).

[/quote]

Tried your latest vanilla image.

Have you tried *popular* plugins on OSMC? I just did and they’re not working as expected — video does not come up.

Anyway — I decided to smash your images together. I wanted VANILLA RETROPIE + STABLE OPENELEC. I took your original (first image) based on Retropie & OPENELEC KODI 5.08 HELIX and replaced the RETROPIE portion with the image from the latest VANILLA. Then booted into KODI 5.08 and applied the .TAR SDCARD fix upgrade I’ve been mentioning.

Now all is good in the world – I have VANILLA Retropie + Fully STABLE KODI 5.08 + SDCARD FIX plus all the *popular* plugins working.

robertus
    Participant

Hi, i have some questions:

in first thanks a lot for this amazing job

1 – it’s possible install jdownloader under kodi and autostart when kodi running ? ( to download my stuff when i see my movies.

2 – how can i connected my ps4 dualshock controller for retropie via bluetooth ? i tried without success in retropie forum. I don’t know if someone get it.

3 – same issue with controller vie bluetooth in kodi. but here i can see the controller via bluetooth and i can connected the controller ( blue light ), but nothing works, maybe i need to setup something ?

I have RPI2 overclocked to medium, but anyway i see that the movies have a little slow framerate sometimes, i don’t know why.

Is very little this problem but is present, someone have the same issue ?

pieguy123
    Participant

Thnk you so much Smithers. Got mine all working with some snes roms, wireless Ps3 Controller and Kodi is working fine (kodi with logitech k400 keyboard).

For anyone else that may want to try, I prefer the xunity helix skin, make sure you go to dave’s game menu first from aeon and add retrogames to the favorites menu first, then change the skin and when you want to flip back and forth, on kodi, go to favs on home screen and go from there.

totally new to retropie though, what does the “gameslist” file do or required for? I just added roms through winscp remotely and they work fine for now. Is it for game covers or something?

Edit: two more quick questions..
    1- Anyone know where I can find the “es_input.cfg” file? I found it on the first version of this thread, but no more. Keep having my ps3 remote ask for button config whenever i reboot. :(

2- unrelated to number 1 above. Wondering if I need to configure controller as retroarch? Is retroarch used for mame/arcade games? ie. I loaded a mame game and no ps3 controller for mame games. Is this why one would config controller as retro arch? sorry hope these arent dumb questions.

boothy
    Participant

Hi all, me again :\ lol

I’m at my wits end lol, I have downloaded and installed all versions of this and I have no joy whatsoever with psx games. I am able to get them to appear (via usb) in a untouched version of retropie but any of smithers versions I cant get it to work. I have followed many guides and even tried using the vanilla version. All in all I am trying to run all my roms off SD internally except psx and sega CD which I want to run off usb externally.

Below is my path for the psx and I cant see where I’m going wrong. please tell me it is simple, because once I have this done I will be able to enjoy my retropie and then continue work on my bartop project :)

<system>
    <name>psx</name>
    <fullname>PlayStation</fullname>
    <path>/media/usb0/psx</path>
    <extension>.cue .ccd .cbn .m3u .mdf .pbp .toc .z .znx .CUE .CCD .CBN .ISO .$
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ psx %$
    <platform>psx</platform>
    <theme>psx</theme>
    </system>

Ps smithers, your work has been fantastic and I personally would like to thank you for all your help and work.

Thanks in advance

Jodie

d3s1
    Participant

I’ve been playing with this setup/configuration for a few days and I wanted to share my experience thus far.

– FIRST: HUGE thanks to smithers for laying out a “packaged” groundwork for this. Not only does it take time to understand how to use NOOBS, creating the images, but the Skinning of both OpenELEC and integration with Retropie is also time consuming. That said, smithers has provided the basis for anyone to take this model and adjust it to their needs.

For example: I’ve created my own images of OpenELEC and Retropie for backup purposes using NOOBS. As smithers mentioned, this is quite powerful because it allows you to restore to essentially any SDCARD (provided it meets the minimum space needed) without running into sizing issues (not all 16GB cards are the same size for example) as you would with a typical block-type backup/restore using Win32Imager. Also this method allows you to easily restore/install to a larger size SDCARD (and potentially a smaller one too).

Anyway along the way, I’m sharing these tidbits for anyone looking to do the same (requires some technical knowledge and familiarity with linux).

BOOT into OPENELEC
    ==================
    SSH in

mount -o remount,rw /var/media/Media (Mounts the USB stick as writeable)

(Create boot image)
    cd /flash
    tar -cvpf /var/media/Media/OpenELEC_RPi2_System.tar .

(Create storage image)
    cd /storage
    tar -cvpf /var/media/Media/OpenELEC_RPi2_Storage.tar .

BOOT up Retropie
    ================
    SSH in

(Create boot image)
    cd /boot
    tar -cvpf ~/BOOT.tar . –exclude=’System Volume Information’

(Create storage image)
    cd /
    sudo tar -cvpf ~/retropie.tar . –exclude=proc/ –exclude=sys/ –exclude=dev/pts/ –exclude=home/pi/BOOT.tar –exclude=home/pi/retropie.tar

(this will include the ROMS folder)

THEN

xz -9 -e <label>.tar all the TAR files! I had to do this off the pi because of memory constraints.

THEN

With all your tar.xz files created, you can use smithers download as a starting point to easily replace those images (.tar.xz) with ones you have created.

Don’t forget to edit the NOOBS partitions.json is the respective “os” folders to adjust nominal size of partition and size of the tar file uncompressed. This command is helpful to determine the uncompressed size of a .tar.xz file: sudo xz -l root.tar.xz

Other links that may be helpful:

http://www.i-programmer.info/programming/hardware/7688-real-raspberry-pi-custom-noobs.html?start=1

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs

smithers
    Participant

Hi all.

Sorry for delay in replying.

[quote=103802]Hi, i have some questions:

in first thanks a lot for this amazing job

1 – it’s possible install jdownloader under kodi and autostart when kodi running ? ( to download my stuff when i see my movies.

[/quote]

I really have no idea Im afraid. I will say though that anything that works with the regular build of OpenELEC should work in my build – I have made no fundamental changes that would affect normal functionality in either OS.

[quote=103802]
    2 – how can i connected my ps4 dualshock controller for retropie via bluetooth ? i tried without success in retropie forum. I don’t know if someone get it.

[/quote]

I really can’t help here I’m afraid as I don’t have a ps4 controller. Perhaps someone else could chip in if they have had success?

[quote=103802]3 – same issue with controller vie bluetooth in kodi. but here i can see the controller via bluetooth and i can connected the controller ( blue light ), but nothing works, maybe i need to setup something ?
    [/quote]

As far as I am aware, OpenELEC does not support navigation via control pad? I briefly investigated this myself and that was the answer I found – I did not pursue any further into it .

[quote=103802]

I have RPI2 overclocked to medium, but anyway i see that the movies have a little slow framerate sometimes, i don’t know why.
    [/quote]

I dont know why either? I generally don’t over clock OpenELEC and it runs great for me. Is it perhaps poor stream sources that you have been watching, or maybe your TV is not syncing with the pi correctly?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103836]what does the “gameslist” file do or required for? I just added roms through winscp remotely and they work fine for now. Is it for game covers or something?

[/quote]

Correct – gamelist.xml files are used for the following:

Path to cover art / screenshot location
    Path to rom
    ‘Clean’ rom naming (get rid of those version numbers and country tags etc)
    Extra data pulled from scraping (description, date of release, developer etc.).

It is not mandatory to amend them, only if you want any of the above really. Your rom will work fine without any need to touch them (but don’t delete them!).

[quote=103836] Anyone know where I can find the “es_input.cfg” file? I found it on the first version of this thread, but no more. Keep having my ps3 remote ask for button config whenever i reboot. :(

2- unrelated to number 1 above. Wondering if I need to configure controller as retroarch? Is retroarch used for mame/arcade games? ie. I loaded a mame game and no ps3 controller for mame games. Is this why one would config controller as retro arch? sorry hope these arent dumb questions.

[/quote]

es_input.cfg is located at /etc/emulationstation/ – you should not need to keep resetting it? Maybe snoop inside after you have set up your controller, make sure it is populating correctly then take it from there.

As for MAME – press ‘tab’ on your keyboard when in a game and you will find the setup options. You may find the ‘hat’ keys don’t work (D-Pad) so may need to assign analog joystick instead.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103873]Hi all, me again :\ lol

I’m at my wits end lol, I have downloaded and installed all versions of this and I have no joy whatsoever with psx games. I am able to get them to appear (via usb) in a untouched version of retropie but any of smithers versions I cant get it to work. I have followed many guides and even tried using the vanilla version. All in all I am trying to run all my roms off SD internally except psx and sega CD which I want to run off usb externally.

Below is my path for the psx and I cant see where I’m going wrong. please tell me it is simple, because once I have this done I will be able to enjoy my retropie and then continue work on my bartop project :)

<system>
    <name>psx</name>
    <fullname>PlayStation</fullname>
    <path>/media/usb0/psx</path>
    <extension>.cue .ccd .cbn .m3u .mdf .pbp .toc .z .znx .CUE .CCD .CBN .ISO .$
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ psx %$
    <platform>psx</platform>
    <theme>psx</theme>
    </system>

Ps smithers, your work has been fantastic and I personally would like to thank you for all your help and work.

Thanks in advance

Jodie

[/quote]

Hi.

Firstly – what file extension are your roms using? Maybe they are an unaccepted extension such as .zip, .ecm or .7z? Sorry if that’s an obvious question, but best to ask!

I don’t use usb storage personally but could give it a test if you’re still stuck? One thing I will say though – are you sure that /media/usb0 is correct? I may be thinking of something different and can’t test right now but should it not be something like /dev/sda or /dev/sdb? Let me find out – I could be totally wrong!!

Edit – worth mentioning that Linux is cAsE sensitive, so if your play station folders on usb stick is /PSX but your path in es_systems.cfg is /psx then it won’t find it. Sorry if you already knew this!

Edit 2 – so I was right with the /dev/sda (or similar) remark, but I forgot about the important step of mounting the usb drive. I assume you have a script in place that mounts your usb stick on boot? Based on your es_systems.cfg I would guess the script was something like:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb0

Is that right?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103898]I’ve been playing with this setup/configuration for a few days and I wanted to share my experience thus far.

– FIRST: HUGE thanks to smithers for laying out a “packaged” groundwork for this. Not only does it take time to understand how to use NOOBS, creating the images, but the Skinning of both OpenELEC and integration with Retropie is also time consuming. That said, smithers has provided the basis for anyone to take this model and adjust it to their needs.

For example: I’ve created my own images of OpenELEC and Retropie for backup purposes using NOOBS. As smithers mentioned, this is quite powerful because it allows you to restore to essentially any SDCARD (provided it meets the minimum space needed) without running into sizing issues (not all 16GB cards are the same size for example) as you would with a typical block-type backup/restore using Win32Imager. Also this method allows you to easily restore/install to a larger size SDCARD (and potentially a smaller one )

[/quote]

That was my intentions entirely with the usb build yes so I am glad you have jumped onto it! It is really the icing on the cake for me and was worth the many hours of investigating and compiling the build! Hopefully it will inspire others to create other dual or perhaps triple boot custom builds as you have all you need to do it at your fingertips.

Thanks for writing up a guide. I personally do all my work on a dedicated Linux laptop (Linux Mint Cinnamon 64) and would highly recommend others to install it too. It will even set up a dual boot function if you already have windows installed!

smithers
    Participant

Okay so what are people’s thoughts on creating a new image based on retropie 3 final? Is it worth it or can the changes be obtained via updating the setup script?

Also, do I go with OSMC or OpenELEC? Let me know.

All the best
    Steve

d3s1
    Participant

[quote=103928]Okay so what are people’s thoughts on creating a new image based on retropie 3 final? Is it worth it or can the changes be obtained via updating the setup script?

All the best
    Steve

[/quote]

My personal opinion on the matter:

The novelty of releasing multiple images based on multiple distros and over multiple versions of each said distro is going to wear off quickly — and is simple not realistic to maintain in the long run (unless you found a way to automate most of it).

As such I would suggest sticking with “stable” releases, that is the latest stable of Retropie (v3) and OpenELEC (which would be HELIX at the moment). While OpenELEC Helix does have the SDCARD issue, you could simple link to the tar file and tell the user IF they have SDCARD issues to put the .TAR file in the Update folder and the issue will be resolved (or apply the update and build it in). I suggest OpenELEC over OSMC because in my experience there are compatibility issues with OSMC and some plugins.

That now leaves VANILLA vs CUSTOM. While I’m a firm believer in releasing both, if you had to pick then I’d say go with your CUSTOM given all the work you did on the themes.

Just my 2 cents…. :)

grizzlema
    Participant

I agree with d3s1, keeping with the stable versions on both installs. too bad retropie cant be upgraded as easily as openelec.

I enjoy your custom builds in the project i am doing, but having a vanilla build for users who want to tweak themes and other items i can see being useful.

Again major props on the builds!

smithers
    Participant

Hi.

I agree entirely and that was my plan. There is little point in me building a new image for betas etc, and the only reason I have is because that’s what was availavbe at the time. I will definitely stick to a stable release for as long as people wanted it.

I think it’s a good idea to release with Openelec 14 and offer a link to the fix it needed. That is the way I will go, unless the stable v15 release appears soon.

I will create a new install for v3 final but I want to add a couple of new port options first, namely Hexen and Heretic but also hopefully Zdoom which would allow for some great mod support (Brutal Doom is what I’m hoping for!).

All the best.
    Steve

Crumb
    Participant

Is it at all possible to install RiscOS via your NOOBS install and then configure it so as it shows up in Retropie?

If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103978]Is it at all possible to install RiscOS via your NOOBS install and then configure it so as it shows up in Retropie?

If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

I can’t see why not, but I have never used RiscOS. Can you run normal bash scripts in RiscOS? If so then yes, it should be fine.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of RiscOS over say Raspbian? Or is that comparison irrelevant? :s

Crumb
    Participant

[quote=103979]
    I can’t see why not, but I have never used RiscOS. Can you run normal bash scripts in RiscOS? If so then yes, it should be fine.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of RiscOS over say Raspbian? Or is that comparison irrelevant? :s

[/quote]

I wouldn’t use it in place of. RiscOS was the OS created by Acorn in 1987. I thought it’d be a cool thing to add to Retropie, despite the fact I wouldn’t use it much.

Crumb
    Participant

What are the most up to date versions of your install (full and vanilla)? I downloaded RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip that was uploaded to uptobox or something and nothing happens when I turn my Pi on.

Yes, everything was copied to the SD card correctly.

mayki
    Participant

[quote=103928]Okay so what are people’s thoughts on creating a new image based on retropie 3 final? Is it worth it or can the changes be obtained via updating the setup script?

All the best
    Steve

[/quote]

My opinion is that OSMC with Retropie 3 final. OSMC but it is not working with noobs.

kaizen
    Participant

Thank you so much for your work! :)

skankster
    Participant

Hello,
    First of all, thanks for your amazing work!

I am a total beginner regarding linux, Pi2 and everything, but I managed to get it working.

However, there are somethings I cant figure out regarding your last image.
    – As it boots, I enter the configure controller screen (I have a Logitech Precision Pad). I managed to configure it properly, no hassles. Then the system enters the emulators screen.
    – Only 3 emulators appears to me: Amiga, Scumm, Ports and Arcade Classics. Kodi shows up too.
    – As soon as I enter a game, or even Kodi, controllers stops working, but I can use the keyboard to play.
    – As soon as I exit the game, returning to the Retropie screens, it freezes. Controllers and the Keyboard do not work. I have to disconnect the power source.
    – As I boot again, I have to reconfigure controllers all over again and the problem loops.

Any help?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=104038]Hello,
    First of all, thanks for your amazing work!

I am a total beginner regarding linux, Pi2 and everything, but I managed to get it working.

However, there are somethings I cant figure out regarding your last image.
    – As it boots, I enter the configure controller screen (I have a Logitech Precision Pad). I managed to configure it properly, no hassles. Then the system enters the emulators screen.
    – Only 3 emulators appears to me: Amiga, Scumm, Ports and Arcade Classics. Kodi shows up too.
    – As soon as I enter a game, or even Kodi, controllers stops working, but I can use the keyboard to play.
    – As soon as I exit the game, returning to the Retropie screens, it freezes. Controllers and the Keyboard do not work. I have to disconnect the power source.
    – As I boot again, I have to reconfigure controllers all over again and the problem loops.

Any help?

[/quote]

Hi.

Really sorry, but I don’t know what is causing the crashes to happen? All I can suggest is for you to try my new build which I will be uploading v soon (“Vanilla” build will follow this post).

As for only a few emulators emulators showing – that is because there are no roms installed as standard – you should see Amiga, Apple II, Macintosh, Ports, PC, ScummVM, KODI, RetroPie and Zmachine. There are a few shareware / freeware games in the ports section and you should find the Zork games in the Zmachine section, but the others are just shortcuts to load the emulator GUI – you still need to add your own roms. When you start adding (acceptable) roms to the other systems then they will appear in the Emulation Station main selection screen automatically.

Hope this helps.

Steve

smithers
    Participant

Ok then, time for a new build – this is “Vanilla” RetroPie v3 and OpenELEC v15.1 (which addresses some of the bugs present in the last build). Please see links below:

[link removed]

They work the same as my previous builds however I have changed the way in which you switch from OpenELEC to RetroPie. I no longer use Advanced Launcher and instead have incorporated a direct link to the launcher script in the ‘Games’ section (click the ‘Launch RetroPie’ button under the ‘Games’ header).

Seems to work fine my end – on first impressions OpenELEC seems more stable and no annoying popups asking to install scripts (so far!). It also has a nice KODI boot video too now which is new and looks great! (I didn’t make the video, it is just something that appeared in this update – just to be clear!).

Anyway – let me know how you get on.

My ‘tweaked’ build will follow in the next few days and I will be including some more ‘non-standard’ ports for your gaming pleasure.

All the best.
    Steve

robertus
    Participant

sorry but what change about vanilla? i don’t understand this “vanilla” what is

anyway this kodi 15.1 is better? because i see that for example,previous version is very unstable

ricky182
    Participant

Just signed up to say thanks for all the hard work Smithers. I am loading it up tonight, hopefully can get it all working. Not the most technical guy but hopefully will be ok.

ricky182
    Participant

[quote=104160]Ok then, time for a new build – this is “Vanilla” RetroPie v3 and OpenELEC v15.1 (which addresses some of the bugs present in the last build). Please see links below:

MEGA:
    https://mega.nz/#!UY5WAAJC!8-SxGSaWobfaUmwgEkXkmGl3vD3oxdAB38osIg5RelQ

Dropbox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zso2agu4cnxwdrd/RetroPie_OpenELEC_Dual-Boot_v6-Vanilla_ss.zip?dl=0

They work the same as my previous builds however I have changed the way in which you switch from OpenELEC to RetroPie. I no longer use Advanced Launcher and instead have incorporated a direct link to the launcher script in the ‘Games’ section (click the ‘Launch RetroPie’ button under the ‘Games’ header).

Seems to work fine my end – on first impressions OpenELEC seems more stable and no annoying popups asking to install scripts (so far!). It also has a nice KODI boot video too now which is new and looks great! (I didn’t make the video, it is just something that appeared in this update – just to be clear!).

Anyway – let me know how you get on.

My ‘tweaked’ build will follow in the next few days and I will be including some more ‘non-standard’ ports for your gaming pleasure.

All the best.
    Steve

[/quote]

For me it works great, thank you very much for the hard work it’s just what i wanted.

A few questions whilst im here. Can i add a pre made kodi set up (the beast build from the wizzard) on to the kodi software without it messing up the retropie cross over?

Also if i make changes to kodi and then you perhaps bring out another build/fixes can i update without losing all the set up I’ve created?

Hope that makes sense. Sorry if this is common knowledge, I thought I would ask as i was giving feedback. Bit of a newbie.

mikegold
    Participant

Can’t wait for Your tweaked version. Any idea when can we expect it?

Viewing 35 posts - 141 through 175 (of 371 total)
  • The topic ‘RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image’ is closed to new replies.