Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image

Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    mjfox
    Participant

[quote=103394]
    So I think I may as well just upload v4 since there have been no calls for changes / improvements / bugs – what do you think?
    [/quote]

a while ago I tried recalbox ( http://www.recalbox.com/diyrecalbox ) and while it is a stripped down retropie (e.g. some emulators are missing) there are some things I would love to see in your image:

-) in recalbox when you configure a controller in emulationstation you are being asked for a special key as well… this key is being used to enter the retroarch menu (and probably some other emulator configurations as well)… so you don’t need to remember any button combinations to enter the emulator configuration

-) I have a wired xbox 360 controller and a (wireless) PS3 controller and so I installed the xbox 360 and the sixaxsis driver in retropie… I ended up having the xbox 360 controller being the player 1 controller and the PS3 controller being the player 3 controller… I really had a hard time to fix that – and I finally did by removing a (not connected) second xbox controller (from /etc/run.local) so the PS3 controller was the player 2 controller again… in recalbox there’s a nice menu in emulationstation where you can define what player is being controlled by what controller

-) in recalbox you can select your language, so you don’t need to use english if you aren’t a native speaker (like me) :)

best regards

MJFox

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103395]

So I think I may as well just upload v4 since there have been no calls for changes / improvements / bugs – what do you think?

a while ago I tried recalbox ( http://www.recalbox.com/diyrecalbox ) and while it is a stripped down retropie (e.g. some emulators are missing) there are some things I would love to see in your image:

-) in recalbox when you configure a controller in emulationstation you are being asked for a special key as well… this key is being used to enter the retroarch menu (and probably some other emulator configurations as well)… so you don’t need to remember any button combinations to enter the emulator configuration

-) I have a wired xbox 360 controller and a (wireless) PS3 controller and so I installed the xbox 360 and the sixaxsis driver in retropie… I ended up having the xbox 360 controller being the player 1 controller and the PS3 controller being the player 3 controller… I really had a hard time to fix that – and I finally did by removing a (not connected) second xbox controller (from /etc/run.local) so the PS3 controller was the player 2 controller again… in recalbox there’s a nice menu in emulationstation where you can define what player is being controlled by what controller

-) in recalbox you can select your language, so you don’t need to use english if you aren’t a native speaker (like me) :)

best regards

MJFox

[/quote]

Ahh… I should have probably worded my post a bit better – I can’t tweak things like that (I have no coding skills). All I can offer is tweaks to existing functionality Im afraid. Or adding ports that are not included in the Retropie setup script as standard. The requests you have (which would be very useful), would need to be made by the developers of RetroPie Im afraid. Not sure if its something thats on the radar already?

Sorry for any misunderstanding! :o

fuzzylogic
    Participant

Trying the Arcade games, 0.37b5 roms work fine for anything in the mame-mame4all folder.
    But i’m experiencing problems with the roms in the fba folder.
    What version should they be? I tried a 0.154 set, but most of them will not work properly.

Is it possible for you to create a .dat file so we could convert the roms to the version(s) you are using.
    I’m assuming it’s a mixed set between 0.114 (PiFBA) and some newer version?

Also, your previous version had some audio samples for the old games, they appear to be missing now.

Btw, i’ll mirror your v4 on mediafire if needed, when it’s ready.

Thanks!

smithers
    Participant

Can you tell me how I would create a dat file of my roms? If so then I’ll upload it, no probs. I can’t remember the actual version. I had a total headache piecing them all together them setting the proper emulator per rom. You would need to set the emulator though as its in my emulators.cfg file already.

As for the samples – yes I removed them by mistake. They will be in v4 again though. :)

Thanks for the offer of uploading it again. Its much appreciated.

So I have been having a think about potential improvements, well, it’s more a personal preference thing really, but what are people’s thoughts on merging mame4all, lr-mame, Advmame, Pifba and lr-fba into one ‘Arcade’ system? It would mean only one Arcade option on the main ES menu where all arcade roms could be stored and would prevent duplication of games and ensure the best emulator was assigned for every rom. I would do the merging so it was ready for you to dump all your roms into one ‘arcade’ folder within /RetroPie/roms/ and I would intend it to be an extra system, not a replacement for all three (i.e. you would still have seperate rom folders and themes for mame, Advmame and fba if you wanted to use them).

In my head I know how it would work but haven’t tried it in practice. Its just a small tweak but it worked out good for Advmame, lr-name & mame4all so I think it would work well for the others too and give one complete arcade section instead of it being fragmented over a few system menus.

….thoughts?

fuzzylogic
    Participant

I’m all for merging all Arcade into one menu, if you could do it it would be great!

Ref generating a .dat file, you can use clrmamepro. Use the dir2dat option in the profiler.
    Point the source folder to your rom folder(s), and enter a name for the dat file.
    There are tons of other options, but i -think- that should do it.

see also here:
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

Another improvement (atleast for me) would be if the filesystem was read-only, with a small r/w partition for hi-scores etc.
    This way, you could just kill the power to the pi without the risk of corrupting the filesystem.

pieguy123
    Participant

The most exciting thread out of any forums I’m on. Thank you so much Smithers. Also thanks to Kamovsky for uploading to another site. Sorry about my comment before, I was under another impression. …MJFox you too…actually everyone here thanks. lol.

thatguyinfl
    Participant

FYI, gameboy art does not work until you rename gb_art_blur.png to gb_art_blur.jpg or edit theme.xml.

I did change my default emulator from pifba to lr-fba if that helps the poster above any. I built my roms from the dat files posted on the wiki.

So far so good.

Thanks

Luis

mjfox
    Participant

[quote=103399]
    Ahh… I should have probably worded my post a bit better – I can’t tweak things like that (I have no coding skills). All I can offer is tweaks to existing functionality Im afraid. Or adding ports that are not included in the Retropie setup script as standard. The requests you have (which would be very useful), would need to be made by the developers of RetroPie Im afraid. Not sure if its something thats on the radar already?[/quote]

I might be wrong but since the code from recalbox is publically available ( https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/releases/tag/v3.2.11 ) it might be ok to take some parts of it for your own image

here’s the Wiki: https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/wiki

greetings

MJFox

lozzajp
    Participant

I keep getting to about 20% and it says error mounting file system. I have two SD cards (same brand and size) so i might have to try another type of card.

If that fails again any idea what might be wrong? following the readme exactly (it is quite easy really).

UPDATE: got a hold of a new (different brand) sd card and adapter for computer and it is working brilliant! Thank you smithers!

d3s1
    Participant

[quote=103362]

First off, I have to say this is INCREDIBLE and a huge thanks to smithers for putting this together.

I did give this a spin last night with the latest image and while Retropie boots fine, OpenELEC stalls indefinitely at boot (at the OpenELEC boot logo). Hard rebooting doesn’t help and ultimately leads to corruption of the sd card.

Anyone else have this issue?

Hmmm that doesn’t sound good. Can I ask how you formatted your SD card? NOOBS is a bit funky on how it partitions your card and if you haven’t partitioned it just how it likes it then it can spit out errors when trying to boot.

I had it fail on me once because I had done my own ‘un-partitioning’and formatting via Gparted in Linux – it didn’t like it and had troubles with the fat32 boot partitioning. It was OpenELEC that was affected Funnily enough.

All I can recommend is to use the SD Formatting tool I mentioned in the Readme file. Using that fixed it for me and it all works perfect now.

Has anybody else had this issue?

[/quote]

I formatted the SDCARD exactly per your instructions to begin with. After some testing I’ve determined that it is hit-or-miss on whether OPENELEC will boot. However, I have run across this and here’s the issue to my knowledge:

– OpenELEC has a stability issue on the RPI2 leading to hang on boots and SDCARD corruption. There is a whole thread on the topic here: http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/75281-openelec-5-0-3-still-corrupts-sd-card-on-pi2?start=210. I specifically refer you to the .IMG file available in this post which resolves the issue: http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/75281-openelec-5-0-3-still-corrupts-sd-card-on-pi2?start=210#137875

I do not know what build you are running but the fix has been applied to some dev builds. Either way, incorporating the fix (via the IMG file) should help resolve the issue.

OTHER:

– Retropie – the package wicd-curses is missing; hence choosing “configure wifi” from the menu will fail. I do not have an ethernet cable anywhere nearby. My suggestion is to install the package by default until it is otherwise removed or replaced in another version of Retropie.

– Retropie – Some folks may prefer the “black borders” instead of stretch to maintain the original aspect ratio of the game. How does one undo the change you made?

– OpenELEC – There is no way to change the timezone – the option is not available as it would be under the default skin.

Other thoughts:

Would you consider a build that sticks to the bare defaults of both OpenELEC and Retropie (skins and all) with the only modification being the dual boot and the menu options to reboot between the Operating Systems?

Looking forward to seeing these issues sorted out. Keep up the great work!!!

smithers
    Participant

Crikey, I didn’t know anything about the openelec issues at all. I have burned it to Sandisk 4gb/8gb/32gb, toshiba 8gb, Samsung 16gb/32gb cards and never had a single issue with corruption or otherwise? It is the 5.0.8 build that I use (and included in my install files), which is the latest stable build, but reading the thread you linked it would seem that version is affected by the corruption issue.

There is a beta version available (5.95.3) that has the ‘SD Card fix’ built into it – I can use that in my next build if people would prefer? A stable v6 is due soon by the looks of things too.

Wicd-Curses package – this is removed by default in RetroPie due to it (potentially) affecting performance. It can be easily re-installed via the RetroPie Setup Script though if I remember rightly so I would rather leave it out (as default).

Borders vs Stretch – bit of a funny one this really. I spent a massive amount of time setting all the video modes up, even to the extent of ‘per rom’ video modes to make them stretch to the full screen. Un-doing all this would take me some time to do and I would then have to offer 2 builds (16:9 build and 4:3 build), so I’m not sure if its feasible. It will also be a bit counter productive for me to do since its just a preference thing rather than a bug. I did however add in my own comments in the ‘aspect ratio’ section of the main ‘retroarch.fcg’ file showing the different codes you can use to set different aspect ratios. Using that you can at least set the libretro emulators to a different ratio?

OpenELEC timezone setting – this is present in my build, in the same place as it should always be? You need to go to the following to get there:

Settings > Appearance > International

Once in here you can change everything to suit your region. :)

As for a standard ‘vanilla’ build of both systems – yes I can do that, no problem. However, I could not leave the skin as standard in KODI because the standard skin does not support direct linking to the Advanced Launcher addon that I use to swap the partition boot instruction. This means the user would have to go into Programs > Advanced Launcher > Default > Games to launch RetroPie, which is un-intuitive. I use Aeon because it supports custom menu items but I would be happy to change to a different skin that supports this, if that was the general consensus, however I only know of Aeon that does (and I quite like it as is to be honest).

Hope this helps – happy to hear other opinions on this.

Cheers.
    Steve

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103450]UPDATE: got a hold of a new (different brand) sd card and adapter for computer and it is working brilliant! Thank you smithers![/quote]

Good to hear! I think the whole NOOBS setup process is quite tasking so the slightest problem will make it throw out errors.

[quote=103444]I might be wrong but since the code from recalbox is publically available ( https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/releases/tag/v3.2.11 ) it might be ok to take some parts of it for your own image

here’s the Wiki: https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/wiki

greetings

MJFox

[/quote]

I am currently downloading the Recalbox build from your link to have a snoop around, but I can’t promise anything at all. If its coding thats needed then Im not your man Im afraid.

Just so I don’t upset the applecart; if any mods are following this topic, can I ask – is it cool to be discussing changes like this on the RetroPie forums? Just thinking that these are 2 seperate projects by 2 different developers so not sure if this is something that would be frowned upon?

Sorry if Im being overly cautious, but I would prefer to confirm.

All the best,
    Steve

herbfargus

personally I don’t have any problem with it, the licenses allow for modifications as far I understand them, as long as you’re not providing the image with roms/bios files or illegal kodi addons. (I’ve actually been meaning to try out this image myself)

but its not up to me as buzz/petrockblog are really the main ones who maintain the code/ distribute the image.

Just know that we won’t be able to provide support outside of the officially released retropie image.

also in reference to wicd-curses, you’re correct- we have removed it entirely for cpu scaling issues and replaced it with a simple dialog terminal gui. The new wifi menu will be the default with the retropie 3 stable release.

smithers
    Participant

Many thanks herbfargus – and yes I would of course be responsible for any support. :)

I doubt I’ll really be able to do anything much anyways in regards to mashing the 2 projects. As I say Im not any good with coding at all so I would only be able to port over standalone scripts etc. if they exist. Already I notice that Recalbox is split over 3 partitions vs RetroPie’s 2 so there is the first potential hurdle haha!

Thanks for clearing up the wicd-curses question. I personally would rather it was left out if its causing problems. It can always be added manually again if needed.

All the best.
    Steve

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103430]FYI, gameboy art does not work until you rename gb_art_blur.png to gb_art_blur.jpg or edit theme.xml.

I did change my default emulator from pifba to lr-fba if that helps the poster above any. I built my roms from the dat files posted on the wiki.
    [/quote]

My bad r.e. the gameboy art – you are indeed correct, I forgot to update the theme .xml file for it. Already corrected for the next release. I wasn’t really very happy with my choice of the gameboy art though to be fair so I may change it (suggestions welcome as I never owned a gameboy!).

In regards to the default emulators for FBA – I must advise that I have set all the best emulators for the FBA roms, at least for the set I have, so I probably wouldn’t recommend changing that unless you are sure you are using the correct version and still having problems (although I don’t see how you would if it were correct romset). Certain roms will only load and play using PiFBA – others only load with lr-FBA, but in the ’emulators.cfg’ file for FBA I have pre-set these choices for you. I am working on a .dat file so you can copy my set exactly.

[quote=103416]Another improvement (atleast for me) would be if the filesystem was read-only, with a small r/w partition for hi-scores etc.
    This way, you could just kill the power to the pi without the risk of corrupting the filesystem.[/quote]

I can see the reasoning behind this however I think you *may* need read/write access when dealing with zipped roms (i.e. MAME, FBA etc.), as I’m guessing the Pi will unzip them as it uses them and therefore needs write access to the folder? Could be wrong. It could use a temp folder somewhere else or even not unzip them at all, but Im not certain either way. Also, it would mean having to set a seperate folder for save states too as they currently default to the rom directories.

d3s1
    Participant

[quote=103483]Crikey, I didn’t know anything about the openelec issues at all. I have burned it to Sandisk 4gb/8gb/32gb, toshiba 8gb, Samsung 16gb/32gb cards and never had a single issue with corruption or otherwise? It is the 5.0.8 build that I use (and included in my install files), which is the latest stable build, but reading the thread you linked it would seem that version is affected by the corruption issue.

There is a beta version available (5.95.3) that has the ‘SD Card fix’ built into it – I can use that in my next build if people would prefer? A stable v6 is due soon by the looks of things too.

Wicd-Curses package – this is removed by default in RetroPie due to it (potentially) affecting performance. It can be easily re-installed via the RetroPie Setup Script though if I remember rightly so I would rather leave it out (as default).

Borders vs Stretch – bit of a funny one this really. I spent a massive amount of time setting all the video modes up, even to the extent of ‘per rom’ video modes to make them stretch to the full screen. Un-doing all this would take me some time to do and I would then have to offer 2 builds (16:9 build and 4:3 build), so I’m not sure if its feasible. It will also be a bit counter productive for me to do since its just a preference thing rather than a bug. I did however add in my own comments in the ‘aspect ratio’ section of the main ‘retroarch.fcg’ file showing the different codes you can use to set different aspect ratios. Using that you can at least set the libretro emulators to a different ratio?

OpenELEC timezone setting – this is present in my build, in the same place as it should always be? You need to go to the following to get there:

Settings > Appearance > International

Once in here you can change everything to suit your region. :)

As for a standard ‘vanilla’ build of both systems – yes I can do that, no problem. However, I could not leave the skin as standard in KODI because the standard skin does not support direct linking to the Advanced Launcher addon that I use to swap the partition boot instruction. This means the user would have to go into Programs > Advanced Launcher > Default > Games to launch RetroPie, which is un-intuitive. I use Aeon because it supports custom menu items but I would be happy to change to a different skin that supports this, if that was the general consensus, however I only know of Aeon that does (and I quite like it as is to be honest).

Hope this helps – happy to hear other opinions on this.

Cheers.
    Steve

[/quote]

On using the NEW BETA of OpenELEC w/ SDCARD FIX: YES please! As in its current form this is not usable for me and probably others with the same issue.

On wicd-cuses: Understood. I imagine soon there will be another RC with wicd removed.

On vanilla build: Worth some thought on doing this — essentially the absolute bare minimum changes to make your image work (understood on OpenELEC skin). This will allow others to quickly adjust to their needs from the baseline defaults as opposed to figuring out how to undo your specific changes (like aspect ratio).

Thank you taking these into consideration!

smithers
    Participant

Hi.

Ok then – I shall try and create a new build tonight based upon latest KODI Beta and upload it asap. It will also have some RetroPie tweaks over the last build, but nothing groundbreaking to make you switch if you’re already (successfully) using v3 of my build.

I will also build a ‘vanilla’ image too, with just the bare minimum to allow switching between both systems. Please bare in mind this will be vanilla in all aspects of the ‘OpenELEC build too (other than my addon for switching between OS’s), so won’t have any other addons installed.

I’ll try and get both builds up tonight, with priority on the ‘non-vanilla’ build. My fibre broadband has now been enabled so my upload speed is around 10x faster now according to Speedtest.net – I’m rather eager to test it out in practice!

All the best.
    Steve

lozzajp
    Participant

UPDATE: Had problem with mario party 3 scan lines, fixed by changing default emulator to mupen64plus-gles2n64 in emulators.cfg under roms/n64.

Now the controller won’t work and I have to restart the pi by pulling the plug. How Do I make the default controls apply to this new emulator?

side note: sometimes I have to reset my controller config on startup, how can i make it permanent?

Will any USB N64 controller work with the retro pi?

EDIT: Ok two things, I just want to make kodi always boot first ie be the default boot OS, how can I do that?

EDIT EDIT: I shutdown via ssh and noticed these words about config?

lozzajp
    Participant

[quote=103430]FYI, gameboy art does not work until you rename gb_art_blur.png to gb_art_blur.jpg or edit theme.xml.

So far so good.

Thanks

Luis

[/quote]

I have finally learnt about ssh and accessing my pi via winscp and found there is much more to the directory structure!

I navigated to this and I try to rename or replace, even add the new named image file and I get;

Error Code 3
    message from server: permission denied.

I have success copying files else where even copying and deleting roms.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

First of all, thanks a lot Smithers for your image, it´s the perfect media center with the perffect an emulator system on it.

I have a simply question. Playing with the config.txt, I have change the original Smithers overclocking settings from the original image. Could anyone tell me those overclocking settings?. Playing N64 games without any overclocking it´s really difficult.

Thanks

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103580]UPDATE:Now the controller won’t work and I have to restart the pi by pulling the plug. How Do I make the default controls apply to this new emulator?

side note: sometimes I have to reset my controller config on startup, how can i make it permanent?

Will any USB N64 controller work with the retro pi?

EDIT: Ok two things, I just want to make kodi always boot first ie be the default boot OS, how can I do that?

EDIT EDIT: I shutdown via ssh and noticed these words about config?

[/quote]

Hi. Sorry for delay in replying.

So I will try and tackle your questions one by one!

N64 Controller config – as far as I am aware the controller config is all done manually for the N64 emulators (except the libretro version). So you would need to edit the specific mupen64.cfg file and add in your controller mapping as you want it. This includes an ‘exit emulator’ key. If you do a google search you will find a guide on how to do it (I can’t remember off the top of my head, sorry).

Resetting controller config – are you referring to Emulation Station here, i.e. it will ask you to set up all your buttons again, even though you already have? If so – I haven’t experienced this in the RC1 build personally. Have you checked the rest of the forums to see if anyone else has this problem (maybe with your specific controller?).

Im not sure about the N64 controller compatibility, sorry.

Making KODI always boot first – this isn’t the way I designed it. Personally, I like to stay in one OS permanently until I want to switch back to the other. That doesn’t mean to say that it is impossible however. I could easily build a script that reset the partition back to KODI on every shutdown from within Emulation Station BUT I would need to locate the existing shutdown script that ES calls when ‘Shutdown’ is triggered. If anyone knows where to locate this then I will make an optional script for this (maybe an extra item in the RetroPie Setup section?)

So finally, the screenshots you posted are mainly about the rumble support. This is probably because the N64 controller plugin is set to ‘Rumble Pak’ in the emulator config files. Im not entirely sure if rumble support is even implemented, but either way its not working on your pad! I probably wouldn’t worry about the message – its just a warning, however you can disable it by setting all pad plugins to be ‘Memory Card’ instead of ‘Rumble Pak’ in the config files where you setup your button mapping. Can’t remember the exact filenames though from memory, but have a snoop around and you’ll find it.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Smithers

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103584]I have finally learnt about ssh and accessing my pi via winscp and found there is much more to the directory structure!

I navigated to this and I try to rename or replace, even add the new named image file and I get;

Error Code 3
    message from server: permission denied.

I have success copying files else where even copying and deleting roms.

[/quote]

Ok so the problem you have here is that you don’t have permission to access that directory as read/write, only read access. Using WinSCP you will have logged in as user ‘Pi’, but you would need to be user ‘root’ to gain read/write access to such files.

As default, RetroPie does not allow the ‘root’ login, so you wont be able to transfer / delete / amend files in certain folders using any FTP software, because you can *only* log in as user ‘pi’. A trick to get around this is to creating a working folder in the /home/pi/ directory (e.g. /home/pi/wip/ for example), then copy files into there (where you *do* have write access). Now you can either SSH into the pi or access the terminal on the screen and move the files to their specific folders. See below example:

sudo mv /home/pi/wip/retroarch.cfg /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Please note that it will *not* warn you about overwriting files so be cautious and always make a backup of the original file first! You can do this via the following command:

sudo cp /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch_copy.cfg

p.s. the ‘sudo’ part above means you are requesting temporary ‘super user’ access, i.e. root access.

Also, off-topic really, but if this is your first time dabbling in the command line etc. then a handy tip to save time when typing directory structures etc. is to use the ‘Tab’ key which will auto-complete folder names, file names, commands etc. for you. for example, press F4 to exit emulation station (and press a key to stay inside the command line prompt). Now to get back into Emulation Station again all you have to do is type emulationstation and press <enter>. Instead of doing this, type emu then press the <tab> key and it should complete the rest of the line for you.

Apologies if you already knew this! Anyways, hope this helps.

All the best.
    Smithers

smithers
    Participant

OK then – time to share my new build! I am taking a different approach in that I’m sharing a folder instead of a direct link this time – Let me know if that doesn’t work out for you (I will post a direct link too at the end of this post).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ughxu46mu4wy61g/AAC7RzLRXvPwVmsbqU4xLt-Ka?dl=0

So this is v4. I have included a full changelog in the readme file, but in a nutshell:

* Re-built OpenELEC from scratch again, based upon Isengard RC1 (v15). This fixes potential SD card corruption issues (see earlier posts in this thread)
    * Re-enabled Apple II, Macintosh and PC and themed them all
    * Fixed Atari Lynx emulation by reverting back to an older binary
    * Fixed Gameboy theme (and changed it, along with a couple of others)
    * Changed the look of KODI – using the same Aeon theme (its not an option to change), but I have changed the backgrounds and added a few extra menu items in.
    * Added my own slide in the NOOBS install, instead of using the default OpenELEC slides

So it all seems stable, Ive fixed all bugs / annoyances that I have introduced, so that’s cool, and I have installed the latest KODI beta. First impressions of Isengard are that it runs nice and fast. I haven’t seen any major issues, but I have seen a few little niggles, mainly when installing addons (a persistant box pops up telling you that an extra resource needs to be installed but it never installs itself?), and also the ‘zoom’ animation in iVue is no longer smooth. I decided these weren’t show-stoppers and of course we need to remember this isn’t a final release of Isengard, but everything else seems fine.

So please download, install, let me know what you think! :)

I will work on the ‘vanilla’ build over the weekend and upload it.

All the best,
    Steve

p.s. here is a direct link to the new build if the folder share above didn’t work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpksky7sjozswqf/RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip?dl=0

d3s1
    Participant

[quote=103617]OK then – time to share my new build! I am taking a different approach in that I’m sharing a folder instead of a direct link this time – Let me know if that doesn’t work out for you (I will post a direct link too at the end of this post).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ughxu46mu4wy61g/AAC7RzLRXvPwVmsbqU4xLt-Ka?dl=0

So this is v4. I have included a full changelog in the readme file, but in a nutshell:

* Re-built OpenELEC from scratch again, based upon Isengard RC1 (v15). This fixes potential SD card corruption issues (see earlier posts in this thread)
    * Re-enabled Apple II, Macintosh and PC and themed them all
    * Fixed Atari Lynx emulation by reverting back to an older binary
    * Fixed Gameboy theme (and changed it, along with a couple of others)
    * Changed the look of KODI – using the same Aeon theme (its not an option to change), but I have changed the backgrounds and added a few extra menu items in.
    * Added my own slide in the NOOBS install, instead of using the default OpenELEC slides

So it all seems stable, Ive fixed all bugs / annoyances that I have introduced, so that’s cool, and I have installed the latest KODI beta. First impressions of Isengard are that it runs nice and fast. I haven’t seen any major issues, but I have seen a few little niggles, mainly when installing addons (a persistant box pops up telling you that an extra resource needs to be installed but it never installs itself?), and also the ‘zoom’ animation in iVue is no longer smooth. I decided these weren’t show-stoppers and of course we need to remember this isn’t a final release of Isengard, but everything else seems fine.

So please download, install, let me know what you think! :)

I will work on the ‘vanilla’ build over the weekend and upload it.

All the best,
    Steve

p.s. here is a direct link to the new build if the folder share above didn’t work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpksky7sjozswqf/RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip?dl=0

[/quote]

I can now confirm this latest release of OpenELEC resolves the SDCARD corruption issues. This ROCKS!! A HUGE thank you. Looking forward to the vanilla build!

EDIT: To clarify, I believe we’re all of the same understanding. Vanilla means a KODI menu in Retropie, and in OpenELEC the updated skin to support menu item that boots into Retropie, no other changes.

By the way, I’ve noticed a typo in the OpenELEC menu item for gaming – It reads “Lanch” instead of “Launch”.

Longer term suggestion: A method (script or directions) to update with the latest retropie and openelec vanilla images on our own. The vanilla image will allow power users to do “their thing” — really awesome of you to do this.

EDIT2: Not sure what the OpenELEC skin provides, but menu items for POWER and SETTINGS I assume will also be included.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=103603]Hi

First of all, thanks a lot Smithers for your image, it´s the perfect media center with the perffect an emulator system on it.

I have a simply question. Playing with the config.txt, I have change the original Smithers overclocking settings from the original image. Could anyone tell me those overclocking settings?. Playing N64 games without any overclocking it´s really difficult.

Thanks

[/quote]

Anyone?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103638]

Hi

Thanks

Anyone?

[/quote]

Hi. Sorry, I must have missed your question! Here are my overclock settings:

arm_freq=1067
    core_freq=533
    sdram_freq=483
    over_voltage=4
      Please use with caution as they are quite aggressive settings and your pi may not re-act well to them

. I would strongly advise using something less aggressive first then increase in increments. Something like below:

arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=450
    over_voltage=4

The reason I say this is because overclocking can corrupt your SD card if the Pi doesn’t like it and crashes out.

Good luck!
    Steve

smithers
    Participant

Ok the dropbox link has been suspended again! :s Don’t suppose anyone else has re-uploaded? I will post a new link on Mega in the meantime.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103622] I can now confirm this latest release of OpenELEC resolves the SDCARD corruption issues. This ROCKS!! A HUGE thank you. Looking forward to the vanilla build!

EDIT: To clarify, I believe we’re all of the same understanding. Vanilla means a KODI menu in Retropie, and in OpenELEC the updated skin to support menu item that boots into Retropie, no other changes.

By the way, I’ve noticed a typo in the OpenELEC menu item for gaming – It reads “Lanch” instead of “Launch”.

Longer term suggestion: A method (script or directions) to update with the latest retropie and openelec vanilla images on our own. The vanilla image will allow power users to do “their thing” — really awesome of you to do this.

EDIT2: Not sure what the OpenELEC skin provides, but menu items for POWER and SETTINGS I assume will also be included.

[/quote]

Glad it works for you! I am working on the vanilla builds now and expect to upload it in the not too distant future. It will be ‘vanilla’ in all aspects other than the script to switch between systems, so standard functionality will apply to both systems.

As for updates – the RetroPie Setup Script will take care of RetroPie updates and OpenELEC has its own standard method of updating which still applies in my build. There is no need for any scripts or guides from me as they already exist!

Games launcher spelling mistake – indeed I have mis-spelled it – doh! should you want to correct it, highlight the ‘Lanch Retro Games!’ icon and press menu (<c> on the keyboard), then choose ‘Edit Launcher’. Now choose ‘Modify Datas/Infos’ then ‘Modify Title’. Note – you will get an annoying pop-up asking you to install a script – click no to bypass. Now change the name to ‘Retro Games!’ (or whatever you want really!), then click done.

Cheers.
    Steve

mommekjr
    Participant

Thanks 4 the build :-)

A link to RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip on Uptobox: [URL=http://uptobox.com/xv0jve9tjqwe]RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip – 934.3 MB[/URL]

My wireless 360 controller, keeps flashing, anybody got that same problem? maybe a solution?

mayki
    Participant

HOW TO Adjusting the main menu skin Amber without the use of Advanced Launcher.
    Go to Settings:
    [URL=http://images.megaupload.cz/screenshot002.png][IMG]http://mini.megaupload.cz/200/screenshot002.png[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://images.megaupload.cz/screenshot004.png][IMG]http://mini.megaupload.cz/200/screenshot004.png[/IMG][/URL]

Just go to settings and then Home menu, pick one of the empty slots and edit the name (no action) to RetroPie:

[URL=http://images.megaupload.cz/screenshot005.png][IMG]http://mini.megaupload.cz/200/screenshot005.png[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://images.megaupload.cz/screenshot006.png][IMG]http://mini.megaupload.cz/200/screenshot006.png[/IMG][/URL]

When you have that done, go with SSH into your Pi and edit the file “/storage/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/1080i/Includes.xml”

Find the line:

<item id="21" description="Custom1">
          <visible>!IsEmpty(Skin.String(CustomHome.1.Path))</visible>
          <label>$INFO[Skin.String(CustomHome.1.Label)]</label>
          <thumb fallback="special://skin/backgrounds/default/default.jpg">$INFO[Skin.String(CustomHome.1.Background)]</thumb>
          <onclick>$INFO[Skin.String(CustomHome.1.Path)]</onclick>
        </item>

Edit the line “onclick” :

<item id="21" description="Custom1">
          <visible>!IsEmpty(Skin.String(CustomHome.1.Path))</visible>
          <label>$INFO[Skin.String(CustomHome.1.Label)]</label>
          <thumb fallback="special://skin/backgrounds/default/default.jpg">$INFO[Skin.String(CustomHome.1.Background)]</thumb>
          <onclick>System.Exec(/storage/ss/games.sh)</onclick>
        </item>

[URL=http://images.megaupload.cz/screenshot007.png][IMG]http://mini.megaupload.cz/200/screenshot007.png[/IMG][/URL]

Reboot the system… :-)

smithers
    Participant

[quote=103649]Thanks 4 the build :-)

A link to RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip on Uptobox: RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip – 934.3 MB

My wireless 360 controller, keeps flashing, anybody got that same problem? maybe a solution?

[/quote]

Many thanks fro re-uploading the file! :)

As for the controller – I have seen this mentioned a few times in the forums and I know there is a fix for it. Have a check in the ‘Controller’ section of the forum and you should find your answer there.

@mayki
    – is there any added benefit in using the Amber skin over Aeon?

mayki
    Participant

Probably no advantage, I personally felt like Amber …

lozzajp
    Participant

Thanks for your detailed help Smithers. I was always curious what sudo actually meant :p

Looks easy enough to do now looking at that, now v4 fixes it lol.

I will look into the controller config then and should be ok.

mayki
    Participant

DS3 gamepad does not work with some PSX games. Tested games wit Retropie 3.0 beta 4 everything OK, install RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image and I have a couple of games where gamepad does not work at all. SELECT + triangle works to Retroarch menu, but does not work in the game. Game reports that no gamepad is not connected.
    Tested games OK – Crash Bandicoot 2, Spyro 1, Tekken 3
    Tested games NOT WORKING GAMEPAD – Tekken 1, Tekken 2, Tomb Raider 1 (These games but they work in Retropie 3.0 Beta 4)
    Some idea? Can you help?

EDIT:
    Problem solved :

open

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-core-options.cfg

change

pcsx_rearmed_pad1type = “analog”
    pcsx_rearmed_pad2type = “analog”

to

pcsx_rearmed_pad1type = “standard”
    pcsx_rearmed_pad2type = “standard”
    d3s1
    Participant

[quote=103669]

Thanks 4 the build :-)

A link to RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip on Uptobox: RetroPie_KODI_DualBoot_V4_SS.zip – 934.3 MB

Many thanks fro re-uploading the file! :)

As for the controller – I have seen this mentioned a few times in the forums and I know there is a fix for it. Have a check in the ‘Controller’ section of the forum and you should find your answer there.

@mayki – is there any added benefit in using the Amber skin over Aeon?

[/quote]

That link doesn’t seem to work everyone — (not all countries). I’ve re-upped in the USA and will also place the vanilla image here when available:

[EDIT] LINKED REMOVED

EDIT: Just linked this thread to reddit for some visibility: http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/3gcx7j/rpi2_retropie_openelec_kodi_dual_boot_disc_image/

Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 371 total)
  • The topic ‘RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI) Dual Boot Disc Image’ is closed to new replies.