Viewing 35 posts - 71 through 105 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m just curious, what’s the advantage of using a dual boot setup for this, vs using the retropie Jessie image and installing Kodi to launch from ES?

pimaster
    Participant

here check this shit out. I made a video of smithers dualboot package using the Xonfluence skin…

http://webm.host/52925/

Its the skin that was destined to be used with this dual boot package.

smithers
    Participant

Hello there.

Yes I would have to mirror what Candyluv says to be honest – I just can’t seem to get away with the Confluence skin anymore and also would not say the ‘Aeon’ skin was ugly or that people are unfamiliar with it (it’s a very popular skin) – I think it’s a big improvement over Confluence (I have tried XConfluence too). I am aware of the ‘Advanced Launcher’ addon and I used to use that on my first ever builds, however I much prefer the integration of a custom script direct in the home menu and I feel it leaves less room for errors not having to rely on a third party addon (I may be wrong but I think advance launcher is no longer in active development?). To each their own of course and I understand not everyone has the same taste! In fact I have recently switched skins to Artic Zephyr after a recommendation from a friend and I am quite taken with it. In my future builds I may offer a couple of options for skins to cater for personal taste (if I ever get my Linux problems sorted on my laptop :( ), but I need to test that KODI keeps the skin setup saved for each whether they are in use or not (I’m assuming it will). And as for the ‘Launch RetroPie’ sub-menu – that was indeed deliberate, to prevent accidental pressing of the ‘Games’ button. I personally like it this way but will share instructions for those who wish to change it but don’t know how. As for Jarvis – I will make a build as soon as a stable release comes out, but at the moment Helix is running perfect for me and I am not a fan of running non-stable builds.

In regards to Dreamcast & Saturn emulation – there should be no reason why they won’t work, providing you have installed them from the RetroPie Setup Script? At the time I put out the last build, both Dreamcast and Saturn were still in ‘Experimental’, and therefore you won’t find the rom folders present as standard but there is nothing stopping you installing them manually (I already made themes for them, along with everything else that was available at the time).

pimaster
    Participant

thanks smithers. no biggie if its not included in future builds, just thought people might be interested in a confluence (like) skin that can launch retropie.

and was just looking at the Xonfluence options and realized that it might be possible to launch the games.sh directly with Xonfluence using the “kodi command” option? Does anyone know it that is possible? I have no issues with advanced launcher (it gets the job done everytime) but would really be a seamless launch to retropie if you can launch the games.sh directly.

pimaster
    Participant

Is it possible to remove the built in kodi splash? I read that it cant be accessed after installation, so must be removed when the package is made. The splash is really annoying and increases the boot time. Most skins have there own spash scree, so it actually is double the wait, you see the built in kodi splash and then it changes to the skins splash, and then finally kodi appears. Lets remove all the kodi splashes and have it boot as quickly as possible!

deathsyct
    Participant

i’ve tried to re-install saturn emulator via Experimental package again but still not working.
    i’ve also change the roms folder permission to be the same as the rest of the roms folder but still not working.

any idea what could go wrong here?

smithers
    Participant

Only thing I can think is that your Saturn disk images are in the wrong format? Have you got them in any of these formats:

.bin
    .iso
    .mdf

(taken from the RetroPie managing roms wiki)

@pimaster
    – you can certainly change the splash without having to rebuild but as for removing it completely – I’m not sure. To be honest though, my full KODI setup only takes a matter of seconds to boot up so I don’t see any room for improvement and I’m not convinced that removing the splash screen would help? Unless you are talking about a splash video? That would cause a delay yes and is easy to remove, but I don’t think you mean that, do you?

deathsyct
    Participant

ok. i manage to get it working.
    the first rom was in .mdf format but it was not recognize.
    after putting the second rom which is .bin format, saturn emulator manage to recognize it and display 1 game
    after i change the mdf to iso, saturn manage to recognize both roms

Thank you for your help smithers

smithers
    Participant

No bother. Glad you got sorted.

So bit of good news – I think I have finally sorted my Linux issue and can read memory cards again! I ended up manually uninstalling v17.2, installed a secondary hard disk in my laptop and installed v17.1 onto it. For some reason the earlier version seems to be working much better. Thankfully.

So now I will have to start from scratch again so I think I will wait for RetroPie v4 because I have read there are a couple of issues that have been called out in the current version. Not sure when that will be of course but I will keep an eye out for it.

Cheers.
    Steve

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=115038]Actualy no reason he couldnt include the ugly aeon skin (that people arent familiar with) and Xonfluence skin in the same package. Also the Xonfluence allows 15+ add-ons/menu items just like Aeon.

[/quote]

Hi,
    With all due respect, just because you don’t like it don’t make it ugly. The aeon skin is popular. There are a few popular Kodi builds out there that use it. It all about personal choice. I will be happy with whatever Smithers decide to use and believe if anyone including myself wants differently can change and edit it themselves which I do. I use both the aeon and confluence skins without problem. I can’t comment on Xonfluence since I have not used it but I am open to it.

Eaon skin was smither’s preference and it’s a little offensive to him to say that his choice is ugly. I believe he is only able to include one configure skin option at that time and he had stated eaon was his preferred choice, maybe that will change in the future but that is for him to decide in the end and not any of us. he can’t please everyone so its best for him to be please himself. I for one will be happy with whatever he decides with the suggestions and ideas brought to him.
    As a community we are here to help each other to get to where we want and need to be.

I very much love and appreciate the work and time he have taken to create all the multiboot options and I would like to thank him very much for that.

Keep up the great work you are doing SMITHERS, YOU are a LIFESAVER.

Stay blessed and positive!!!!

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=115070]thanks smithers. no biggie if its not included in future builds, just thought people might be interested in a confluence (like) skin that can launch retropie.

and was just looking at the Xonfluence options and realized that it might be possible to launch the games.sh directly with Xonfluence using the “kodi command” option? Does anyone know it that is possible? I have no issues with advanced launcher (it gets the job done everytime) but would really be a seamless launch to retropie if you can launch the games.sh directly.

[/quote]

Hi,
    Yes it is possible, I have done it with confluence and it is running smoothly.

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=115186]No bother. Glad you got sorted.

So bit of good news – I think I have finally sorted my Linux issue and can read memory cards again! I ended up manually uninstalling v17.2, installed a secondary hard disk in my laptop and installed v17.1 onto it. For some reason the earlier version seems to be working much better. Thankfully.

So now I will have to start from scratch again so I think I will wait for RetroPie v4 because I have read there are a couple of issues that have been called out in the current version. Not sure when that will be of course but I will keep an eye out for it.

Cheers.
    Steve

[/quote]

Hi Smithers,
    That indeed seem to be great news. Its understandable why u would want to wait. 3.3.1 do have some bugs mainly when it comes to controllers and I believe it due to the raspbian/jessie update, I could be wrong. 15.2 Kodi is great for now and I believe 16 have some restrictions/security in some areas so don’t know how that will work out in the future.

Well again great to hear that you are back on stream.

labelwhore
    Participant

3.3 Jessie is nearly flawless on my end. Kodi 15.2 is totally worth any bugs, but I haven’t seen any first hand.

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=115254]3.3 Jessie is nearly flawless on my end. Kodi 15.2 is totally worth any bugs, but I haven’t seen any first hand.

[/quote]

Yes I agree 3.3 is great. Its 3.3.1 that is the problem.

cjohnstone87
    Participant

Hi Smithers,

I tried to get the ps1 working. I added in the 1001BIOS.BIN which was recommended by TechTipsta.

That went well and rom booted up ok. I started game play and when I couldn’t move crash, I pushed “select and triangle” to get into the settings GUI and changed the control type to retropie + analogue.

From then on the controller had no response I game at all. I have to use the keyboard to quit the game.

I also noticed that for all emulators the PS button now launched the emulator GUI settings and select and start together no longer quits the game. I have to quit from the GUI menu.

I tried reinstalling the retropie files via binary files using ./retropie_setup.sh.

This hasn’t sorted the toggle buttons for the menu but I can now access the GUI settings again in the ps1 game. Still doesn’t respond to any other buttons though.

No idea what else to try other than a fresh install. Is there anyway to wipe and reinstall the retropie part Of
    Your dual boot without affecting kodi?

Thanks in advance
    Cjohnstone87

cjohnstone87
    Participant

Although I did see v3.4 was released. Will there be a 3.4 and 15.2 dual boot afoot?

:0)

rustymg
    Participant

3.4 has been out a wee while now.

Changes since 3.3

Now using Raspbian Jessie for the RetroPie image.

Fixes for controller input issues with RetroArch including improved config generation to work around problems with 8bitdo controllers.

Fixed up Bluetooth pairing module on Jessie.

Improvements to the Xbox userspace driver (xboxdrv) including partial support of Xbox One controller.

Can now choose to exit or restart Emulation Station. Metadata will no longer be lost if choosing to shutdown or reboot.

Preliminary support for using the RetroPie-Setup script on x86 + X11 on Debian/Ubuntu and Ubuntu on the Odroid-C1 (building from source only).

$HOME/.emulationstation has relocated to /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation – but is symlinked from the original location. The USB Rom Service script will backup all of /opt/retropie/configs to USB. Previously it only backed up /$HOME/.emulationstation.

Support for choosing RetroArch shaders and overlays from the RetroPie-Setup configuration editor.

Added pixel theme from Rookervik to theme installer.

Wonderswan and NeoGeo Pocket separated into Wonderswan/Wonderswan Colour, NeoGeo Pocket/NeoGeo Pocket Colour.

Various other bugfixes and improvements.

cjohnstone87
    Participant

Ok, since I hit the update buttons within the retroarch rgui in the psx emulator to try and get the analogs working I have been unable to get my hot keys working again.

My plan is to do a fresh install now with the multi boot file in this thread for openelec 15.2 and retropie v3.2.1

My question is, once I have installed the image, before I tinker with anything, can I update the script and install 3.4 from binary in the Retroarch-setup.sh?

Thanks in advance

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=115645]Ok, since I hit the update buttons within the retroarch rgui in the psx emulator to try and get the analogs working I have been unable to get my hot keys working again.

My plan is to do a fresh install now with the multi boot file in this thread for openelec 15.2 and retropie v3.2.1

My question is, once I have installed the image, before I tinker with anything, can I update the script and install 3.4 from binary in the Retroarch-setup.sh?

Thanks in advance

[/quote]

Hi,
    I did it previously with v3.3 and it worked.

rustymg
    Participant

Retopie 3.4 now though now is on a new operating system – its now on Raspbian Jessie, so that’s whats putting me off upgrading my 3.2.
    Not sure why Jessie is now being used, as side by side comparisons elsewhere show it be be a bigger resource and memory hog.

cjohnstone87
    Participant

Hmm,

I don’t think there is anything in 3.4 that I actually need.

I think I will just use 3.2 for now as it was almost bug free up until I messed it up myself haha

candyluv
    Participant

I agree. I’m sticking to 3.3 which I believe is the most stable. Also “3.3.1” have a lot of controller problems and would stay away from that. Not sure what that update was about.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a question along the same lines. I’m new to the raspberry pi. I just started mine up with the noobs sd card that came with my kit. I installed 2 os’s. Raspbian and openelec. I would like to know if someone could point me into the right direction on how to now add retropie to the same card. I don’t mind if I have to reformat or start over but I would like to be able to start it up and choose between raspbian, openelec, and retropie all depending on what I want to do at that time. Like I said, I am completely new and would appreciate any help. For some reason, I couldn’t figure out how to start my own topic on the forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all. Thanks for ur latest build smithers (v8) I’m having g problems launching any of the pre installed mame roms they just bomb out after selection and I end back up at the rom selection screen, I do have the possibility to adjust the mame settings though, can you or someone else please advise what setting to use to have them load

Thanks in advance

lk35
    Participant

Thanks for this amazing build! It was easy to load and I was playing game in no time!

One small problem for me (and it is due to my ignorance).. I have been unable to SSH into this build but I was able to SSH into the standard RetroPie. I used the “Show IP Address” in the settings menu (which is slick) and typed sudo ifconfig on the command line but neither option produces an IP address. What am I missing?

Thanks again for the great work!

peanutismint
    Participant

Hey thanks so much for uploading this! As I’ve said elsewhere, this is my perfect setup. I leave my RPi 2 running constantly for Kodi, and every now and again I’ll want to boot into RetroPie for gaming, so this is perfect.

At the moment I’m only using a small-ish 8GB SD card for storage, but it’s fine because all my media is on a local NAS drive.

The one issue I’ve had (which I’m looking into by installing this updated version now) is that for some reason, after an hour or so of use, my RPi seems to start slowing down/lagging incredibly, until I reboot it and then it’s fine again for another hour or so…. Any ideas why? Could it be the SD card?

Also, if I want to change the Kodi skin, is there still an easy way to access a power menu to boot into the other system and vice versa? I think a previous version I installed I was able to ‘exit’ the Kodi app and it would automatically reboot into RetroPie, but somehow on this version I’m missing that menu.

I’m going to try this latest version (v8) and report back… it may well have solved all these issues :-)

Thanks again Steve!!

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=116584]Thanks for this amazing build! It was easy to load and I was playing game in no time!

One small problem for me (and it is due to my ignorance).. I have been unable to SSH into this build but I was able to SSH into the standard RetroPie. I used the “Show IP Address” in the settings menu (which is slick) and typed sudo ifconfig on the command line but neither option produces an IP address. What am I missing?

[/quote]

Not sure what exactly you are trying to get but for me the ip address is always the same on all parts of the build, retropie/kodi etc so I just see what the ip address is in kodi and same IP address works for the other sections as well. Also to access the settings for each section you have to be log on to it because its separate eg. to get access to kodi you have to be log on to kodi etc.

Hope that helps

cjohnstone87
    Participant

Just to say my build appears to have different ip addresses for each boot.

I can access both partitions and all files by whatever I’m logged in as appearing automatically in windows network. (Using windows 7)

Just open up any config files in notepad then save over them

smithers
    Participant

[quote=116725]Just to say my build appears to have different ip addresses for each boot.

I can access both partitions and all files by whatever I’m logged in as appearing automatically in windows network. (Using windows 7)

Just open up any config files in notepad then save over them

[/quote]

Hi.

It sounds like your router is assigning a different up address each time. You can probably go into your router settings and assign a static ip address which will solve your problem.

Are you using wifi or Ethernet? Just thinking that the RetroPie partition might need extra setting up if its wifi.

cjohnstone87
    Participant

I’m not having any issues, I think the router did assign them different ips but they keep the same ip as long as they are plugged into the same port in the router. I have it connected via LAN.

Kodi is always .12 at the end and retropie is always .6 at the end.

As I said, if I do have any issues I can’t change in terminal on the pi I can use windows network.

I think it was someone a few posts up having a problem.

lk35
    Participant

[quote=116718]

Thanks for this amazing build! It was easy to load and I was playing game in no time!

Not sure what exactly you are trying to get but for me the ip address is always the same on all parts of the build, retropie/kodi etc so I just see what the ip address is in kodi and same IP address works for the other sections as well. Also to access the settings for each section you have to be log on to it because its separate eg. to get access to kodi you have to be log on to kodi etc.

Hope that helps

[/quote]
    Thanks for the reply.

I tried everything I could find on every forum. Nothing seemed to work.

I ended up re-loading the dual boot on the microSD card again and everything worked perfectly on the first attempt (SSH and WINSCP). Guess it was just one of those things.

darksavior
    Participant

Good to see this is still in development. If I can’t figure out why kodi won’t let me back into ES in 3.5, I’ll be willing to wait for a rasplex dualboot solution.

jaspreet97
    Participant

Very interesting I tried it but I was under the impression that operating systems will install on USB drive which I now know is not the case .

Is there a way to make the OS partitions to install on USB and have only a tiny micro SD card in the Pi .
    I am trying to achieve this with a 16gb Pendrive and a 2 gb micro SD card

itsmeste
    Participant

just started using this build and its fantastic
    i would like to use a custom kodi build if i change the skin lose the link to games
    can some one tell me how i can prevent this from happening or how to replace the link in my shortcusts manualy
    i dont know how to correct this if i mess up and i dont want to keep starting over
    ive seen a few posts about this but cant seem to find an answer
    appologies if ive missed the solution
    thanks in advance

thornton
    Participant

This was just what I was looking for. It’s been less than a week since I first read about RPi, up until then I didn’t know what it was, but was sure it wasn’t for me. I was dead set on getting a NUC, but was put of by the price, when all I want is an emulator/movieplayer. This solution is PERFECT for me, as I liked the feeling of Kodi right away (I installed it first on a spare 2GB microSD while waiting for 16GB I’d ordered). Anyway, I registered just to say thank you for this build. It was really simple to install by following the included readme instructions, even for a total Linux/code/”anything more advanced than installing a game in Win7″ virgin like myself. So THANK YOU!

I do have a couple of questions though:
    1) How do I add GBA BIOS (preferably with USB)? GBA roms wont run and I found forums saying it’s due to missing BIOS. Well, I’ve got the BIOS, but have no idea how to implement them, and I don’t want to fiddle with something I know nothing about.
    2) I setup my controllers (Dual PS2-style controllers using shared USB). To me it made sense to have “X” button as A, to select, but once in games (SNES only so far) it’s completely wrong. So I’m just wondering how do I reconfigure the controller?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with these, seemingly, miniscule issues.

Edit: I managed to solve the first problem, but still need help with reconfiguring controllers.

Viewing 35 posts - 71 through 105 (of 222 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.