Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RetroPie Multi-Boot Images

Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    candyluv
    Participant

[quote=121951]Where do you guys get your OpenELEC 7 beta versions, short of building it yourself?

As of now (March 30th, GMT+2 slightly past morning time) I can still only see 6.95.1 both on their official page and github releases.
    Furthermore, I don’t see a release candidate/source tag for 7.0 on github, only the code branch.

Granted, the 6.95.1 version does have Jarvis, which I personally was most interested in.

[/quote]

Hi,
    v6.95.1 is Beta 7, Javis in Openelec. Its label 6 because its Beta. When stable it will then be Lable as 7.
    Hope that helps and clear things up.

nitrus
    Participant

Ah yes, thanks for the clarification. In truth I had read this forum post in the meantime:
    http://openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announcements/80664-beta-openelec-7-0-beta-1-released

It says “The OpenELEC 7.0 Beta 1 (internal version 6.95.1) release has been published.”
    There is nothing internal about 6.95.1 if you’re giving that to the world.
    But code-wise, OS_VERSION is “7.0”, and OPENELEC_VERSION is “6.95.1”, so it’s kinda/sorta valid, although it does make me cringe.
    The 6.95.1 tag and 7.0 master branch differ quite a bit, so the non-beta 7.0 might be quite different, depending on what point in time/commit they decide to tag from when they finally release it.

It’s not how conventional RC and Beta release naming works, but hey, who am I to tell the devs ,the people who actually make the product their business.
    So sorry for the confusion and hijacking the thread with nonsense, not gonna do it any further, I promise!

Bottomline: Smithers’ releases are top notch, no matter what version of OpenELEC they’re including! :D

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=122077]Ah yes, thanks for the clarification. In truth I had read this forum post in the meantime:
    http://openelec.tv/forum/120-news-announcements/80664-beta-openelec-7-0-beta-1-released

Bottomline: Smithers’ releases are top notch, no matter what version of OpenELEC they’re including! ?

[/quote]

Hi,
    You can update it for yourself if you want. I did it with his previous 14.2 triple build and upgraded it to 15.2 without any problems. All you have to do is download the “update file .tar” (not image) for openelec and ssh into the pi and place it into the “/storage/.update” folder and then restart the pi and it will update. I have not done it with this latest build so can’t say how it will turn out.

smithers
    Participant

Hi.

If anyone would care to try it, I have made a ‘RetroPie’ add-on for OpenELEC for use in my Dual-Boot builds. See below:

Click Here

This allows you to use whatever skin you want – feel free to chop and change as you wish without worrying about losing my RetroPie script (even works in standard Confluence!). It also means that the whole process is contained within this add-on, meaning no more separate /ss/ or /noobs/ folders – they are all inside the add-on itself.

Few notes – This is ONLY for OpenELEC and ONLY for a Dual-Boot setup, but Triple-Boot and also OSMC add-ons will follow.

Let me know your thoughts if you try it out. :)

Cheers.
    Steve

stomper
    Participant

Hello again
    I have now used this dualboot and tweaked it into my prefered settning regarding background pictures etc.
    I just have one last (?) question;
    How do I edit the config.txt?
    I wanna overclock it a little and mostly, add my codes for the
    decode_MPG2=0x00000000
    decode_WVC1=0x00000000
    I keep gettin errors both from SSH and WinSCP that I am not allowed to edit the file.
    If you are intrested I made a new background for the Game section, uploading a small preview first.

nitrus
    Participant

[quote=122280]Hello again
    I have now used this dualboot and tweaked it into my prefered settning regarding background pictures etc.
    I just have one last (?) question;
    How do I edit the config.txt?
    I wanna overclock it a little and mostly, add my codes for the
    decode_MPG2=0x00000000
    decode_WVC1=0x00000000
    I keep gettin errors both from SSH and WinSCP that I am not allowed to edit the file.
    [/quote]

I think OpenELEC should allow you to edit the files with the default root/openelec combination of username/password.

As for other types of OSes like Raspbian and RetroPie, you’d need root permissions to edit the file.
    In order to login through WinSCP as ‘root’, you’d first need to set a root password. You can google how to do that.
    Or you could login as pi/raspberry with SSH or your preferred method and then edit the file with nano:
    $ sudo nano /boot/config.txt

stomper
    Participant

[quote=122282]

I think OpenELEC should allow you to edit the files with the default root/openelec combination of username/password.

As for other types of OSes like Raspbian and RetroPie, you’d need root permissions to edit the file.
    In order to login through WinSCP as ‘root’, you’d first need to set a root password. You can google how to do that.
    Or you could login as pi/raspberry with SSH or your preferred method and then edit the file with nano:

[/quote]
    I have tried all theese options, but they all failed due to write protection.
    I hope that there is something that I have missed, that some of the experts here have knowledge of =)

smithers
    Participant

Hi

By default OpenELEC will only mount the /flash folder (where the boot partition is mounted) as read only so this prevents you editing the config.txt file. You can easily mount it yourself though as read/write of you want and that will allow you to edit the config file.

I’m out and about at the moment so can’t remember the mount tags you need to do this but Google should be able to tell you.

Cheers.
    Steve

stomper
    Participant

You were totaly right :)
    http://htpcbuild.com/htpc-software/raspberry-pi-openelec/openelec-overclocking/
    I just had to remove the # from the decode_MPG2=0x000000
    after that, all works great :)
    Thanks again!!

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=122283]

I have tried all theese options, but they all failed due to write protection.
    I hope that there is something that I have missed, that some of the experts here have knowledge of =)

[/quote]

Hi,

I have never had a problem mounting any of the OSs and configuring the config file.
    For Openelec I use these 2 lines in ssh after login:
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    nano /flash/config.txt

And for Raspbian and Retropie I use this one line:
    sudo nano /boot/config.txt

To edit the config file.
    Hope that helps.

christitansfan
    Participant

First off, your build is amazing and exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! I did something stupid though – I reset the menu of the skin and lost my links to boot into RetroPie and Raspian. Can you offer any insight on how to put them back without having to reinstall? Any insight would be much appreciated.

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=122367]First off, your build is amazing and exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! I did something stupid though – I reset the menu of the skin and lost my links to boot into RetroPie and Raspian. Can you offer any insight on how to put them back without having to reinstall? Any insight would be much appreciated.

[/quote]

Hi,
    It, depends on the skin you are using but should be the same all around,
    In skin settings, main menu, category/menu item:
    The default select action when clicked you will need to select “Custom Item” and Enter:
    “System.Exec(/storage/ss/select.sh)” for Raspbian and “System.Exec(/storage/ss/select2.sh)” for Games.

Also,
    In “Manage Submenu”, Select “Change Shortcuts”, “Custom Item” enter:
    System.Exec(/storage/ss/games.sh) for games and
    System.Exec(/storage/ss/raspbian.sh) for Raspbian.

It could also be rearrange to you liking once the ability for a command to go through is there “Custom Item”.

Triple build Scripts:
    Games:
    System.Exec(/storage/ss/select2.sh) “will tell you to click on games”

System.Exec(/storage/ss/games.sh) “will log you into Retropie”

Jessy:
    System.Exec(/storage/ss/select.sh) “will tell you to click on raspbian”

System.Exec(/storage/ss/raspbian.sh) “will log you into Raspbian”

Hope that helps in some way to give you an idea.

Viewing 12 posts - 211 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.