Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! RetroPie Multi-Boot Images

Viewing 35 posts - 141 through 175 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    yungyaw
    Participant

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for creating these multi-boot images. Greatly appreciated.

I’m just wondering, is there any possibility to include Volumio as another OS that we can switch to?

The current stable version is v1.55. FYI, version 2 is in beta stage.

If this can be done, it will be an ultimate entertainment machine.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    YungYaw

dettol
    Participant

Amazing project! I am looking to migrate my exisitng openelec setup to this openelec/retropie dual boot. In the past I have kept all my openelec data as backup, by copying the whole “storage” partition. When I tried to do this with the dual boot sd card, I couldn’t find any kind of folder structure that was familiar to me, ie no storage and boot partitions. I know they are there somewhere, because when I ssh into openelec I can see them. However how can I access them when I connect the sd card to my laptop?

Thank you very much

PS: Is this openelec setup working with plexbmc?

darksavior
    Participant

Smithers:
    Can’t wait for the guide. I managed to update the last version of retropie/rasplex to jessie with a few bugs here and there, but i’d love to do it the right way..bugfree:)

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=120036]I received my Pi3 in the post today so I should be able to get a new (vanilla) build out this weekend based on v3.6 and OpenELEC 6.0.3 Isengard (and a Jarvis build if desired?). I have also took the plunge and bought some web space so I can host the files myself (for those who were having issues with my prev links). I have no web building skills or knowledge at all however so this will be a learning curve but I’m enjoying it so far!

On the subject of the Pi3 – does the memory card slot no longer click the card into place? Mine just seems to slot in with no ‘click’ and it makes it a swine to get out without being spring-loaded. The card works fine, just was expecting a spring-loaded design like the previous Pi(s) had?

Anyway – I will share a link soon as it’s ready!

All the best.
    Steve

[/quote]

Hi Smithers,
    Will you be doing a new triple build as well with raspbian?

smithers
    Participant

Hi.

Yes I will be. I’m using Raspbian Jessie right now actually to build a new version of NOOBS (USB installer version) that will *hopefully* support the Pi 3 as the version I normally use doesn’t support it. I got about an hour and a half into the build and then lost my internet connection so had to start again… frustrating to say the least!

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=120118]Hi.

Yes I will be. I’m using Raspbian Jessie right now actually to build a new version of NOOBS (USB installer version) that will *hopefully* support the Pi 3 as the version I normally use doesn’t support it. I got about an hour and a half into the build and then lost my internet connection so had to start again… frustrating to say the least!

[/quote]

That’s great. Can’t wait.
    Is there still the problem in the new jessy with setting up wifi & bluetooth dongles as well as the time not automatically updating? Since the last build we had to install/update those settings.

smithers
    Participant

Well, I’m not 100% certain on that yet however I can say that Jessie does support much more Wi-Fi / Bluetooth dongles out of the box than wheezy did. I am presuming that the Pi3 built in Wi-Fi and bt must work flawlessly but I can’t test anything until I have finished building NOOBS. :s Can’t believe how long it is taking for such a small file size but I guess there is a ton of code involved.

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=120122]Well, I’m not 100% certain on that yet however I can say that Jessie does support much more Wi-Fi / Bluetooth dongles out of the box than wheezy did. I am presuming that the Pi3 built in Wi-Fi and bt must work flawlessly but I can’t test anything until I have finished building NOOBS. :s Can’t believe how long it is taking for such a small file size but I guess there is a ton of code involved.

[/quote]

Ok that’s good to know about Jessie. These things are extremely time consuming. Good luck, I know it will turn out great.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just bought a Pi3 and your YouTube videos led me here. I ordered 2x SNES style USB gamepads and can’t wait for your dualboot version. :)

I hope you don’t hit an obstacle along the way.

nicole2444h
    Participant

hey guys im new to this can anybody help me im trying to add my snes roms, do i add them to my sd card or to the usb drive help please

smithers
    Participant

[quote=120041]Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for creating these multi-boot images. Greatly appreciated.

I’m just wondering, is there any possibility to include Volumio as another OS that we can switch to?

The current stable version is v1.55. FYI, version 2 is in beta stage.

If this can be done, it will be an ultimate entertainment machine.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    YungYaw

[/quote]

Hi. Its on my todo list so I will certainly give it a try yes! I have never used Volumio before so not sure if it supports running script shortcuts etc. but if it does then it shouldn’t be a problem, in theory.

[quote=120050]Amazing project! I am looking to migrate my exisitng openelec setup to this openelec/retropie dual boot. In the past I have kept all my openelec data as backup, by copying the whole “storage” partition. When I tried to do this with the dual boot sd card, I couldn’t find any kind of folder structure that was familiar to me, ie no storage and boot partitions. I know they are there somewhere, because when I ssh into openelec I can see them. However how can I access them when I connect the sd card to my laptop?

Thank you very much

PS: Is this openelec setup working with plexbmc?

[/quote]

Hmmm that is strange because the folder structure should be exactly the same aside from the storage and boot partitions will be numbered differently. Are you trying to view your SD card on a Windows machine? If so then you will only see the boot partition as that is the only ‘FAT’ formatted partition on the card. You’d need a Linux machine to view the other EXT4 partitions where the KODI data is held (or you can use a program to view and backup from within Windows).

Plexbmc should work fine for this, however I have never tried it.

[quote=120217]hey guys im new to this can anybody help me im trying to add my snes roms, do i add them to my sd card or to the usb drive help please

[/quote]

Hi.

You add your roms onto the SD card but to do this you will need to either SSH into your Pi or use a Linux PC to transfer them directly onto the SD card. I think you can also use a memory stick and it will transfer the roms automatically for you, but I have never tried this myself (have a search through the Wiki guide and Im sure it will explain in better detail than me). Good luck!

nicole2444h
    Participant

Hi can you tell me how did you add yours i been looking for the emulators folders so i can copy and paste but i cant find them

smithers
    Participant

Ok then so bad news first – I have tried and tried and tried all weekend to build a working ‘USB Install’ version of NOOBS that is compatible with the Pi 3 but have hit a brick wall every time – I just cant get it to build. I have added every dependency listed on the Github page along with many more that I read in the various ‘issues’ log but to no avail (and it takes a good few hours each time to get to the failure point!). I’m at a loss so I will raise an issue on the Github page for the USB build however I don’t think it has been maintained in a while so Im not sure if or when a fix will be implemented for this specific build to support the Pi 3. :(

So after much tinkering I have found a dirty workaround to get Pi 3 support up and running and it seems to work ok (aside from a NOOBS error message – more on that below!). Please do note however that this is not an official build of NOOBS I am using so use it at your own risk until an official ‘USB stick version’ becomes available.

Ok then – with that aside I have made a couple of builds and they are ready to download – see below:

RetroPie 3.6 & OpenELEC 6.0.3: Click here
    * 3 skins set up to use: Arctic Zephyr (default)
    Aeon Nox (for nostalgia! ;) )
    Xonfluence (for those who can’t sway from the ‘vanilla’ skin)
    PLEASE NOTE you can not switch to Xonfluence skin from the Arctic Zephyr skin – no idea why but it just doesn’t work so switch to Aeon Nox first and then switch to Xonfluence and you’re good to go. A minor annoyance.

RetroPie 3.6 & OSMC 2016.02-3: Click here
    Only the standard skin is set up for OSMC

These are both Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 builds and seem to be working fine at my end. Please feel free to try them out and let me know how you get on.

I have bought some web space at last (website is very wip but feel free to have a gander!) so I am hosting these files using my webspace rather than Google Drive, MEGA etc. Hopefully that will work out better but let me know if not and I can upload elsewhere.

All the best.
    Steve

p.s. Rasplex and a Triple is next on the list.

steff0
    Participant

hi steve. i have a problem with your last release. i copy all the data to my sd (correctly formatted, fully compatible with rpi3, i was already using it for openelec) but when I run the Rpi3 I only see the “rainbow-like” screen and stays locked there not running anything. any ideas? :(

rullacartoni
    Participant

Hi Steve,
    I’m completely new to raspberry (and linux, too), but when I’ve discovered your multiboot project, which conjiugates both distros I wanted to try, I finally decided and bought the new pi3.
    Today I’ve received it and I will try the new multiboot version (RetroPie 3.6 & OpenELEC 6.0.3).
    Thank You very much for Your work! :)

smithers
    Participant

[quote=120265]hi steve. i have a problem with your last release. i copy all the data to my sd (correctly formatted, fully compatible with rpi3, i was already using it for openelec) but when I run the Rpi3 I only see the “rainbow-like” screen and stays locked there not running anything. any ideas? :(

[/quote]

Hmmm… That’s not good. I hope the download isn’t corrupt. :s

Has anybody else managed to download it and got it to work? I will test when I am home from work later on.

jazzman
    Participant

[quote]
    Hmmm… That’s not good. I hope the download isn’t corrupt. :s

Has anybody else managed to download it and got it to work? I will test when I am home from work later on.

[/quote]

Same problem here. It grumbled at the zip file asking to insert the last disk or something but carried on. Followed the instructions and copied the files to a working microSD but have the giant coloured pixel too.

rustymg
    Participant

Just downloaded the zip file at 7pm tonight and as I type, the dual boot install is at 84%

jazzman
    Participant

[quote=120315]Just downloaded the zip file at 7pm tonight and as I type, the dual boot install is at 84%

[/quote]

OSMC or OpenELEC?

milas
    Participant

RetroPie 3.6 & OpenELEC 6.0.3 DualBoot works lik’e charm on RPi 2 i installed from USB Drive without any problems. Im waiting for my Pi 3 and let known whats with it.

steff0
    Participant

I don’t think the archive is corrupted, otherwise it wouldn’t extract. Maybe files inside the archive are. :(

I’ll keep testing your releases, waiting for a working one. Kudos

rustymg
    Participant

Just completed the install and all went well.
    Definitely nothing wrong with the archive (installed on a Pi2 from micro sd & usb)

jazzman
    Participant

I think what seems to be happening for me is that my connection to your host drops out without saying so. Just noticed that the files were only approx. 500Mb in size which I guess is about half what they should be. Would anyone be able to upload the file somewhere else for me to try?

milas
    Participant

Ok wait ill put on mega

Wysłane z mojego SM-N910C przy użyciu Tapatalka

smithers
    Participant

Arrgghh…. Ok I found out the problem with OpenELEC – I didn’t add the Pi3 NOOBS workaround to the setup files… rookie mistake. Thats what you get for staying up too late and burning the candle at both ends!

So apologies to all who downloaded that file but I have corrected it and re-uploaded the file. It can be found via the same link as before!

If you are using a Pi 2 and have already downloaded the OpenELEC build then you’re fine, it is only the Pi3 it didn’t work on.

Please test and let me know if it is now working for you (should be).

Thanks.
    Steve

edupt
    Participant

Thanks Steve for your awesome job. I had the same problem with openelec on a pi3 (rainbow screen), downloading the fixed version now.

jazzman
    Participant

Trying again with a different browser!

edupt
    Participant

Now it’s booting fine on a pi3 but a 8gb sd card isn’t enough :( it needs 6721mb to install both openelec and retropie and I only have 6591mb with the files on the sd card guess I need bigger sd card or usb.

ranman2001
    Participant

thanks Steve, I have been using one of your old images on the my PI 2, worked great. This new image is perfectly timed for the new PI 3 I purchased, keep up the great work!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=120334]Now it’s booting fine on a pi3 but a 8gb sd card isn’t enough :( it needs 6721mb to install both openelec and retropie and I only have 6591mb with the files on the sd card guess I need bigger sd card or usb.

[/quote]

Hi. Check the readme file I bundled in for instructions on how to reduce the partition sizes (I recommend reducing the Openelec partition) and you should be able to get it to fit ok, but yes, USB stick install is the best solution.

edupt
    Participant

Thanks Steve, i’ve install via usb and everything is working fine.

candyluv
    Participant

Now it is just for the Triple Boot to come my way lol

darksavior
    Participant

i hope the rasplex build will include the Aeon Nox 5 skin :DDDDD

steff0
    Participant

great steve, it totally works

only problem is rpi3 is giving problems with the ps3 controller… arrhh

one question: is it possible to run your script through confluence skin in kodi?

thanks

rockhao
    Participant

Can someone upload the files to dropbox or MEGA. I am having trouble downloading the files as the connections drops.

Thank you

Viewing 35 posts - 141 through 175 (of 222 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.