Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I have to configure my buttons on every boot on EmulationStation with the ‘new detect’ on the gamepad. Haven’t changed anything, or the USB-port the pad uses.

Allthough this definitely isn’t the main problem. Can’t get my (wired) xbox controller to work anywhere but ES. I’m using a fresh RP2.3 install from image.

I’ve read dozens of threads here, all the way from -13 to -14 to this very date about this same issue. Usually the threads seem to end up ‘not solved’, and when some rare occasions someone replies to “got it working” – that “solution” does absolutely nothing when I try it. And I’ve followed the instructions/tips very carefully, step by step, done it twice from fresh install to SD-card if I’ve had any doubts – but nothing. I’ve fought and struggled with this for more two days now. There’s no worrying errors with anything; xboxdrv or so – but it just doesn’t work.

Also, the light on the controller just keeps blinking and blinking. Yes, read all those threads too where people suggest to blacklist xpad etc., tried everything I’ve found on that – nothing changes. The xbox controller works fine in ES, but not in any emulator.

I admit that I’m new with the Raspberry Pi (got the bew B+) and it’s OS; I’m coming from PC/Windows/OSX assembling/working environment, and there I have quite good knowledge about everything I could need.

But still, as a ‘noob’ to RBPi/Linux, I did thought that starting with a pre-compiled, fresh and updated image, in addition with a somewhat very popular gamepad – couldn’t be this hard/troublesome. Especially after trying everything else I could find on the issue – via these forums and google.

Is this somehow hopelessly and fundamentally flawed/broken for now and I should just wait the day it’ll get fixed on RetroPie code?

Or can someone with the higher knowledge of the RetroPie/(Linux)terminal and actual success of getting the xbox controller to communicate with the RetroPie – please help me in any way to get it work, preferably step-by-step in ‘layman’s terms’ (as the Linux/terminal environment isn’t that familiar to me)?

So far I’ve started from here: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller and then ended up through dozens (I believe near all of them) of similar issue threads here, trying them step by step – some of them twice to be sure.

Thanks!
    Dok-

Dok-

Correction: It’s *Xbox 360 controller, of course..

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Firstly what PSU (current output rating) and SD card are you using? These two items can cause all sorts of problems.

Dok-

I use the following:

– PSU

– MicroSDHC

Dok-
    trimmtrabb
    Participant

Ok, firstly you don’t need to install xboxdrv on RetroPie image 2.3, RetroPie should detect your pad automatically. Secondly do you have another SD card to test and rule out the card being the issue? To test your pad start with a new RetroPie image:

sudo apt-get install joystick

jstest /dev/input/js1 (or js0)

Does it function correctly?

johnT

I am using a similar setup with a Xbox 360 wireless Controller with the same issue, selecting games in emulatorstation works fine but trying to use the controller in a game fails.

jstest /dev/input/js0 seems to work fine.

I upgraded from an older Retropie Image to V2.3 where all worked fine.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

The config file for the Retroarch cores is located in /opt/retropie/configs/all/

Try the auto config first:

sudo chown pi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

(Use -j 1 for wired pad)

sn00wman86
    Participant

I have done off this

sudo chown pi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Everything works when i setup. But 1. My controller Blinking 2. When i start for exemple Super mario all star i kan press start but no more when the game have start. Any ide how to fix it?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

See here for the blinking issue: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/remove-xpad-and-use-xboxdrv-instead-to-stop-controller-light-flashing-constantly/

Regarding All Stars I think there is a problem with this rom, try switching to PiSNES (you need to edit es_systems.cfg, search the forum)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.