• This topic has 31 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by j2k15.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    fistwielder
    Participant

What PSX games have you been able to get working?

I’ve only gotten the following to work so far:
    Crash Bandicoot
    Crash Bandicoot 2
    Evil Dead
    Megaman 8
    Megaman X4
    Megaman X5
    Megaman X6
    Metal Slug X

Id like to get the Final Fantasy games to work but haven’t been successful, so if anyone knows how to I’d greatly appreciate it.

GameRockeR
    Participant

Using latest standalone pcsx rearmed (version r21) I can run at full speed with my overclocked Pi @ 1140 mhz all of this games with constant 60 fps:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Resident evil director’s cut
    Resident evil 2 (disc 1 & 2)
    Resident Evil nemesis
    Resident evil survivor
    Mortal Kombat Mythologies: sub zero
    Earthworm Jim 2
    Tony Hawk’s pro skater
    Silent Hill (still that issue with the white boxes around the character)
    Clock Tower II
    Doom

and I’m in the process of testing more isos.

proxycell
    Participant

I believe I had Metal Gear Solid working on it, some lag though
    And like one of the Crash Bandicoots… sorry i’m not very good at this lol

PSX games are quite “large” by comparison to the other ones so I haven’t jumped into it yet.

fistwielder
    Participant

Thank you so much! I’ll add those to my set. I’ll post an update as well if I find more that work.

GameRockeR
    Participant

Metal Gear Solid works too but it has a glitch in cutscenes where the graphics get messed up and distorted beyond recognition, it is playable so no worries.

therogueleader
    Participant

Crash Bandicoot 1
    Crash Bandicoot 2
    Crash Bandicoot 3
    Spyro year of the dragon
    Tony hawk’s pro skater 1
    Tony hawk’s pro skater 2
    Silent Hill (with white boxes, bios issue maybe?)
    Ape escape
    Medieval 1
    Medieval 2
    Final Fantasy 7
    Metal Gear Solid

Only game i cant get working is Crash team racing (unresponsive after title screen.)

proxycell
    Participant

keep trying everything you can…
    eventually a list of compatible games will have to be setup on the wiki and people will have to test under strict conditions

fistwielder
    Participant

therogueleader,
    I’ve been trying to find a working Final Fantasy VII rom for so long! What region/version is yours? is it an .img or a .bin/.cue?
    Thanks!

techlibrarian
    Participant

MDK worked well for me.

fistwielder
    Participant

vintagamer,
    Thanks for the info!
    You mentioned that you’ve overclocked yours to 1140 mhz, what are your other settings in your boot/config.txt file, if you don’t mind me asking? I’d like to try your settings.

I’ve got an open case with a decent fan as well as heatsinks on my processor, gpu and RAM. I’m only overclocked to 1000 mhz, so I may try pushing it further to see if I can get more PSX games working.

chdez77076
    Participant

I’m looking to start setting up my Pi to play PSX but i need a couple answers first.

What retropie version are you guys running for these PS Games?

How does the BIOS file work?

I downloaded the pcsx_rearmed_r21.pnd and im not sure if i am supposed to leave it like that and put it in the BIOS folder or extract it somehow then put it in the BIOS folder.

Does it go in the BIOS folder?

herbfargus

As of yet I have been unable to get psx games to work on 2.4.2 beta but I was able to get them to work on retropie 2.3. I just added the scph1001.bin in the BIOS folder and my games worked fine (couldn’t remember if it worked as uppercase or lowercase filename) it may require some overclocking though.

GameRockeR
    Participant

Sorry it took so long to answer, been busy last days. These are my overclock settings, notice I voided my warranty just by activating the force turbo mode but it’s ok for me. I use a heatsink and a cooler fan, temp never go above 42º celsius.

arm_freq=1140
    core_freq=560
    h264_freq=360
    isp_freq=0
    v3d_freq=360
    sdram_freq=675
    gpu_freq=275
    over_voltage_sdram=7
    over_voltage=8
    temp_limit=80
    #avoid_pwm_pll=1
    avoid_safe_mode=1
    force_turbo=1
    gpu_mem=384
    gpu_mem_256=128
    gpu_mem_512=256
    overscan=1
    overscan_scale=1
    start_x=0

P.S. Btw I want to mention something, the latest standalone pcsx rearmed version (r21) I compiled never worked for me on newest retropie version (2.4.1 and 2.4.2) so I reverted back to retropie 2.3, I just copied the emulator and run it from console, it works damn fast! 60 fps on every game I tested.

jmarusic
    Participant

I can run several games but they are all noticably slower then the originals. I have retropie 2.6 SD image installed or raspberry pi model B, 128 gpu ram and OC set to HIGH using raspi-config. I also have speed issues on n 64. Is there any way i can improve this? Is SD image auto set up for use of PCSX rearmed for psx emulator or do i have to set it up manually?

Kind regards

labelwhore
    Participant

I’ve only found a couple that haven’t worked, actually; Crash Team Racing, and R-Type. So far everything else has been playable more or less on a B+.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Strange, CTR was working fine a few weeks ago (played it at work with my boss on a rpi1 :P)

labelwhore
    Participant

it could be the rom I tried. I never tried another from a different source after the first one didn’t work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got wipeout xl working. No sound though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

CTR works, I played it last night with some friends. Tekken 3, Blood Roar 2, Street Fight EX3, spyro, croc, THPS, THPS2, Duke Nukem. I’ve not checked anything else

BuToNz
    Participant

Most of my games don’t seem to be running at full speed on a Pi2. Some spots of lag and random microstutters.

I’ve got the Pi2 overclock setting enabled. Selecting 1080p as the resolution shouldn’t affect performance as it’s not actually rendering at 1080p?

gizmo98
    Participant

Actually retroarch renders 1080p. Try to lower resolution or use hardware upscaling. (Search the forum for instructions)

BuToNz
    Participant

So when I set the setting with ‘M’ before the ROM loads it actually is rendering at a higher resolution?

Doesn’t look any better to me than the default, but if I leave it default I get a stretched image. On 1080p shows the 4:3 in the center of the screen with black bars either side.

lordasshat
    Participant

I have been playing soul raver, sound is a bit crackly but it runs at full speed even with ISO on SMB share(RPI B+2).

joeysmyth
    Participant

RetroPie 2.6

gpu_mem=256
    arm_freq=1100
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=6
    temp_limit=75

Running Ps1 games from 60GB SSD HDD via USB (i changed the rom path to run from USB)

TESTED WORKING
    Tekken
    Tekken 2
    Tekken 3
    Ridge Racer
    Ridge Racer Revolution
    Ridge Racer Tyoe 4
    Rage Racer
    Road Rash
    Road Rash 3D
    Aqua GT
    Battle Arena Toshinden
    Burning Road
    Castrol Honda Superbike
    Colin Mcrea Rally 2.0
    Crash Bandicoot 3:Warped
    Cybersled
    Dead or Alive
    Doom (Requires CDDA audio, if not present it will freeze on the “Loading” screen
    Decent Maximum
    Disruptor
    Exhumed
    Forsaken
    Gran Turismo 2 (Arcade Version Disc)
    Hydro Thunder
    Jet Moto
    Jumping Flash!
    MDK
    Medal of Honor
    Medal of Honor Underground
    Moto Racer
    Moto Racer 2
    Moto Racer World Tour
    Need for Speed III:Hot Pursuit
    Need for Speed V-Rally 2
    Pandemonium
    Philosoma
    Quake 2
    Rapid Racer
    Rally Cross
    Rally Cross 2
    San Francisco Rush
    Skeleton Warriors
    Soul Blade (Soul Edge)
    Star Wars:Dark Forces
    Stree Fighter:The Movie
    The Need for Speed
    Thrill Kill
    Toca Touring Cars 2
    Vanark
    Wipeout XL
    Wipeout 3:Special Edition

NON-WORKING

Have only come across a few, but from research … some games require the CDDA audio to load (eg. see Doom notes above)

All Star Racing
    All Star Racing 2
    Formula One Arcade

there were a few others … but i can’t remember

davejaca
    Participant

I threw everything I could at it and it didn’t even break a sweat!

See my testing vid here where I try out 27 games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJC2EB-za3s

Or my setup video here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-VOCyDoTc&list=TLaXwf3Q5UMVE

napalmhardcore
    Participant

Hi. I joined this forum specifically to ask you for help.

I have just installed RetroArch. I established the Snes and Genesis cores worked. I next tried the PSX core (the main reason for me using RetroArch as I already had emulators for the Snes and Genesis).

The first game I tried was Doom and as you noted it hangs on the loading screen.

You mention the need for CDDA files. Can you please tell me where to get these files and what to do with them.

proxycell
    Participant

@ napalm:
    i believe those are a type of audio file?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Digital_Audio

in which case they would be copyrighted, can’t share them here. i’m actually pretty confident that most of the doom game’s code is free now but the audio files are still protected by law

what i can tell you is that you may need to rip/obtain a different image for the doom game that contains such files. or else you have to obtain them, add them to the game by creating a new image file.

napalmhardcore
    Participant

Well I have the official disc as well as Final Doom (also own the PC versions on Steam). I just don’t know how to get these files from it or what to do with them to make it work in RetroArch.

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

Rpi2 on standard 1000mhz clock with latest updates will run pretty much every PSX game, with the exception of a few PAL titles that have an anti-piracy trick built in. For these games, emulation is usually flawless but the game crashes after 1-2 levels.

Basically, just use NTSC titles and you’ll be golden.

napalmhardcore
    Participant

OK, I’ll rephrase my question. What is required to get Doom to run?

I’m not someone that expects people to do all my work for me. For example, in the few hours I’ve been using RetroArch I’ve learned what is needed to convert ECM files and APE files to get another game that I own a legitimate copy of to work. I am just really struggling with this CDDA issue.

I already have a .bin and a .cue file for Doom. Are the CDDA files in the .bin file and need to be extracted somehow or do I need an image that was prepared a different way in the first place?

Edit: Nevermind, I’ve got a working version now. I still wish I understood a little more about this issue in case I have similar problems in future.

meat
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Almost every game i try on ps1 within retropie 2.6 works with the exception of the 3D heavy fighting games. tekken 3, bloody roar 2, etc..

Well they work but lag too much to be playable.

Could someone explain how to either run pcsx rearmed from the CLI or if i have to download/install separate standalone version.

Im using rpi2 with 2.6 image with no startx gui.

gpu_mem=384
    arm_freq=1100
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=6

heatsinks + fans.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Meat

j2k15
    Participant

Tested and fully working on Pi2 without overclock:

Fighting Force
    Knockout Kings 2000
    Overboard
    Demo 1 v5 (Abe Odissey, Hercules, Porsche Challenge, …)
    DBZ Ultimate Battle 22

Tested and working with problem:

Crash Team Racing : have to launch another game before else image is zoomed / cropped
    Crash Bash : Pause menu is not visible

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.