Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie THIS IS MY LAST HAIL MARY!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    nosedeath
    Participant

I’VE TRIED EVERYTHING!
    So many people have have helped me and I thank you for that. NOTHING is working…NOTHING. I’ve reconfigured, I’ve restarted, I’ve Updated…transferred countless ROMS, edited files countless times. Still nothing.

This is everything that I have and everything I’ve done and everything that keeps happening.

Raspberry Pi 2 B.
    iPac2
    Ultimarc buttons & trackballs.
    MAME4ALL 037b11 ROMS
    AdvMame .94 & .106 ROMS
    “iPac Joystick not configured.”
    NO TRACKBALL

input_player1_joypad_index = 0
    input_player1_left_btn = left
    input_player1_right_btn = right
    input_player1_up_btn = up
    input_player1_down_btn = down
    input_player1_b_btn = b
    input_player1_a_btn = a
    input_player1_start_btn = 1
    input_player1_select_btn = f
    input_player2_joypad_index = 1
    input_player2_left_btn = j
    input_player2_right_btn = i
    input_player2_up_btn = k
    input_player2_down_btn = l
    input_player2_b_btn = n
    input_player2_a_btn = m
    input_player2_start_btn = 3
    input_player2_select_btn = s

AND.
    device_mouse raw
    device_raw_mousedev[0] /dev/input/mouse0 (I tried mouse1 too)
    device_raw_mousedev[1] auto
    device_raw_mousedev[2] auto
    device_raw_mousedev[3] auto
    device_raw_mousetype[0] ps2
    device_raw_mousetype[1] pnp
    device_raw_mousetype[2] pnp
    device_raw_mousetype[3] pnp

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING!!
    I’m sorry or this rant but I am soooooo fed up. This RaspberryPi is a cool little computer but it’s just not turning out for me.
    If anyone can help or anyone knows what in god names I’m doing wrong…please PLEASE speak up. I’ve been fiddling around for months.
    THANK YOU.

tigermask
    Participant

Okay, take a deep breath…

When you say nothing happens, can you get in the process of booting up a game?
    1. Does your Pi boot to EmulationStation?

2. Can you see the ROMs under the appropriate emulator? If not, I would suggest checking compatibility, here for FinalBurn Alpha and here for MAME.

3. Does the controller work on the EmulationStation home screen? I’ve not used the iPac 2 so I can’t help you with any specifics where. However have you read this thread? Alternatively, a temporary solution might be using a different controller. I’ve got a couple CSL gamepads, they’re not ideal for MAME and arcade stuff but you can assign the buttons however you like.

4. Do the ROMs boot? If so, have you setup you controller to take credits? I was stuck trying to use the default keys for ages, for which I suggest reading this.

I hope something in that helps you get your RetroPie running, but come back and post what’s not working.

nosedeath
    Participant

1. Does your Pi boot to EmulationStation?
    Yes. All is good there.

2. Can you see the ROMs under the appropriate emulator? If not, I would suggest checking compatibility, here for FinalBurn Alpha and here for MAME.
    Yes.

3. Does the controller work on the EmulationStation home screen? I’ve not used the iPac 2 so I can’t help you with any specifics where. However have you read this thread? Alternatively, a temporary solution might be using a different controller. I’ve got a couple CSL gamepads, they’re not ideal for MAME and arcade stuff but you can assign the buttons however you like.

I’m using Happ arcade buttons. Old school arcade no controller. Everything works in the Emulationstation menus. When I enter any rom it’s says my iPac2 is not set up. I’ve updated the firmware for the iPac2. I’ve add all the inputs for player 1 under the retroarch.cfg. I’ve set up the buttons in the mame menu using the TAB key but they don’t stay. I’ve tried using the Retroarch setup screen but my buttons don’t work so I can’t set anything. My trackball doesn’t work at all. It did for a while when I loaded up the .94 roms for AdvMame but now it doesn’t. I switched back to the 037b11 rom set for mame4all but now those don’t work at all. With AdvMame not all the games work. So I tried lr-mame2003 and that works but I can’t configure the buttons in Retroarch so it doesn’t REALLY work. I’ve also updated to RetroPi 3.5.
    I dunno what to do anymore. Maybe I’m just doing it ALL wrong. I wish I could just send this thing out and have it all done for me because I dunno what to do anymore.

4. Do the ROMs boot? If so, have you setup you controller to take credits? I was stuck trying to use the default keys for ages, for which I suggest reading.
    See above.

nosedeath
    Participant

…oh and I’m loading all my roms into the Arcade folder. Maybe I should go back to the old way and put them in the corresponding emulator folder. *shrug*

dankcushions
    Participant

if you re-install the latest mame2003 from source it lets you configure buttons using the internal mame menu (tab on a keyboard). not sure if that helps.

nosedeath
    Participant

I did that too. The configurations don’t stay. I have to reconfigure it every time I play a game. weird right?

dankcushions
    Participant

the fix was only live yesterday evening btw. works for me!

nosedeath
    Participant

OOOOHH!! ok, ok…I’ll check it out when I get home.

nosedeath
    Participant

I really want my trackball to work.

nosedeath
    Participant

OK…SO…
    I started over. Again.
    This time I put the ROMS in the respective folders. 037b11 back in MAME4ALL
    and the .94’s back into AdvMame folders. Oh and I think I must have put the inputs in the wrong .cfg file. Because that’s all good too. The only problem now is my TrackBall. I just can NOT get that to work. I have one more thing I’m going to try before I just not use it at all.
    In short…All the buttons are responding now and all my games are working now. The only odd thing is when the ROMS load there’s and error saying it might now work but then it loads anyway.

Moral of the sorry. Don’t give up. Take a Breath. Keep reading. Keep Trying.
    Here is what I have come across and I saved the link in my favorites.

Retropie 2.3 and IPAC2 arcade controller

How to key map mapping the keyboard for the I-PAC or other keyboard duplicator.

Everyone on here is awesome. THANK YOU!

meneerjansen
    Participant

Configuring emulators (in Windows, Linux or the Pi) is the biggest pain in the butt you’ll ever have.

If you succeed to successfully configure one or more emulators then you can call yourself a power user, no matter what developers say. Anyway, I’ll limit myself here to Mame and any controller that is properly recognized by Linux. I NEVER try to edit RetroPie/Emulationstation/Retroarch -or what have you not- directly. Only if there is no other way. First, I check if my controller is properly recognized and if all buttons and axis work from the command line (press F4) w/:

jstest /dev/input/js0

You might have to check js1 or js2 if you have multiple controllers. You might also need to install the package ‘joystick’ in Linux first by running the command:

sudo apt-get install joystick

And then there is Mame with its myriad of twin brothers: mame4all, SDLMame, advance-Mame, mame 0.94, etc. etc. Besides all of them demanding a different ROM set (why? WHY?? Aaarrggggghhh!!!!!!!) they all appear to have a different way to setup joysticks. What I do in advMame 0.94 (I use that one because it lets me save games):

– TAB (it gives you the menu)

– Configure the FOUR (!) ways the input can be configured (especially the ‘insert coin’ and ‘player 1 start’). Being: (1) Input (general) — user interface; (2) Input (general) — player 1 controls; (3) Input (general) — other controls; (4) Input (this game).

– I find this configuration to be quite tricky. It accepts multiple controls to perform an action (i.e. the ‘5’ on your keyboard for insert coin as well the ‘Select’ button on your controller). However sometimes they disappear when I try to enter an additional one.

Succes w/ configuring Mame and RetroPie! :)

P.S. Another problem altogether is to get non-PC/non-USB-standard controllers to work like your iPac or PS3 controllers or what have you not. See this page for the (limited) Linux support for the iPac.

nosedeath
    Participant

I always wondered that myself as to why there are billions of MAME emulators and different roms sets.

dankcushions
    Participant

because the raspberry pi is not powerful enough to run the latest mame version (which has the largest rom set), so we’re left with various previous versions, all of which support different sets of games (as mame matured it supported more games, and even different ‘rips’ when better ones appeared). eg, 2000, 2003, 2010, etc.

of these previous versions, the pi1 can cope with the earlier sets/cores, the pi2 with later, and the pi3 with presumbably later still. perhaps once more users are available to test these things we can work out the best choices for different systems – you can help!

nosedeath
    Participant

Well thank you!

robertg
    Participant

Nose death I am trying to get my ultimarc usb trackball and spinners going for the last month and it’s driving me… I went into the retro arch config file and mapped my ipac2 and now it is recognized but I did not see in there where to config the device raw mouse file? How do I access that menu, sorry total noob here

nosedeath
    Participant

First off do yourself a favor and download PuTTY. It’ll save your life.
    Then. See this link.

How to key map mapping the keyboard for the I-PAC or other keyboard duplicator.

That’s what I did.
    In the beginning I think I was configuring the wrong file and that’s why nothing worked hence the title of my post…I was get’n pissed.

Anyway..I’m still trying to get my Trackball to work. I’ve been a little busy and haven’t gotten back to my arcade in a few days. I’ll try tonight and keep you posted.

robertg
    Participant

okay, I have done everything in the link and all my joysticks and buttons
    are mapped but there is no menu for mouse inputs.
    Like this,

device_mouse raw
    device_raw_mousedev[0] /dev/input/mouse0 (I tried mouse1 too)
    device_raw_mousedev[1] auto
    device_raw_mousedev[2] auto
    device_raw_mousedev[3] auto
    device_raw_mousetype[0] ps2
    device_raw_mousetype[1] pnp
    device_raw_mousetype[2] pop
    device_raw_mousetype[3] pop

where do I find these to check and see If I can get a response from my trackball

nosedeath
    Participant

At the prompt.

..to determine which /dev/input/mouse# device is being assigned, you can do

cat /dev/input/mouse0
    or
    cat /dev/input/mouse1

and see if characters appear when moving the trackball.

Press ^C to stop.

spaceinvader
    Participant

Hi.

I’m having troubles to get my mouse working too.

I did

cat /dev/input/mouse0

And

cat /dev/input/mouse1

And both worked (one is my keyboard’s integrated touchpad and the other a usb mouse), but now I don’t know how to make one of them work in emulators (I use lr-mame 2003).

Any help is highly appreciated…

meneerjansen
    Participant

A mouse in Mame? What would you like to do w/ the mouse in Mame? Afaik there is no mouse support in Mame. A computer mouse did not exist yet back in the late seventies/early eighties when Mame’s games were developed.

Anyway, you might try in Mame w/: “TAB (should bring up a menu) –> Input devices”.

spaceinvader
    Participant

Mouse, trackball, spinner for marble madness, centipede, arkanoid and so…

nosedeath
    Participant

Mame4All will not support a trackball or mouse as far as I’ve been told, and it holds true so far. AdvMame does. Rom set .94 is what I use for that. That’s ALL I can figure out.

spaceinvader
    Participant

And lr-mame2003 does? With advmame i hace been able to configure the mouse buttons, but I still don’t know how to configure mouse movements. Anyway my intend is to use all l muy emulators with retroarch, if it is posible…

nosedeath
    Participant

ya I hear ya. It sure is frustrating but it’s all I can figure out.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.