Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! PSX and N64 performance on RPI B+

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sjura
    Participant

Hi guys! First of all I’d like to give some kudos to the developers for doing gods work!

I have a RPI B+ model running retropie 3.4 and have some performance questions. I am currently using “medium” overclock settings and 256 memorysplit.

I tried running Tekken 3 on the PSX emulator, but unfortunately experienced heavy lag. I have added the scph1001 bios (https://www.loveroms.com/extras/psx-bios.php) to my system.

Super Mario World and DK Country on SNES seem to work perfectly. However when I tried Mario Kart 2p there was a lot of both video and audio lag (tested before I edited the memorysplit setting from default).

I would also like to try some N64 games, specifically Super Mario64 and GoldenEye (pref 2p), but as the PSX performance was so bad I don’t have high hopes.

Is it possible to run PSX and N64 games smooothly on the B+ RPI? Can I tweak my settings further for better performance? How much overclocking should the B+ be able to handle?

Edit: I’ve also installed the PS3-controller driver and usually I have only one USB-controller plugged in at the same time (ibuffalo SNES gamepad or wired PS3 controller).
    Downloaded the RetroPie SD-card image from the official site (https://www.petrockblock.com/retropie/retropie-downloads/retropie-image-for-raspberry-pi-1/), unzipped and used Win32DiskImager. Roms have been added by using WinSCP, the RPI is connected to ethernet.

labelwhore
    Participant

PSX and N64 work very well on a Pi 2, but unfortunately, not on a B+. If you hope to run those games smoothly, you should upgrade.

sjura
    Participant

Will a Pi2 be able to run 4p split screen GoldenEye smoothly?

herbfargus

I wouldn’t count on the n64 running smoothly on anything but a pc and even then emulation suffers on some games. You can tweak settings and plugins to get some games working but there is only so much you can do even with a pi 2. That being said I definitely prefer a pi2 over my B+.

itsgoodtobefree
    Participant

Even with a Pi 2 I can’t get 99% of my N64 games to run half decently. Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart run okay but honestly not good enough to where I can fully enjoy the game. (And yes, I’ve tried everything under the different emulators and overclocked.)

Goldeneye in particular “has issues” in the compatibility list and it is currently completely unenjoyable to play in single player so I wouldn’t even want to know what it is like with four players.

On the other hand, PSX on RPi2 is a way better experience and I haven’t encountered any games I would consider unplayable.

Omnija
    Participant

You could always try 1 of the newer lightweight themes and reduce your gpu to 128. This will give you 128 extra ram to help buff out some of the lag.

As mentioned above n64 will always have issue but psx would probably benefit from the overclock and extra ram.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.