Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Power Menu (link to files included)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    smithers
    Participant

Hi.

I have made a power menu for Emulation Station and thought I would share it as I know some people were interested in having this function. It means that you can remove the ‘start button’ functionality from Emulation Station (i.e. the menu screen that you would normally use to shut down or reboot from), so is good for ‘child-proofing’ your beloved RetroPie setup. It also means you can amend the shutdown / reboot script to do something else upon selecting it, i.e. setting the boot partition to KODI on shutdown, for example. Anyway, enough of my rambling – here is a link to all you need to get this working should you so desire:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZwtIpB1lqZdGk5ODJIeDhJSFk/view?usp=sharing

And here is a video of it in action:

https://youtu.be/K1za6L7nv2U

Hopefully someone will find this useful – any queries or suggestions for improvements let me know.

All the best.
    Steve

[attachment file=”shutdown.png”]

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is really well done, thank you!

Just on a side note, where did you get the arcade classics logo and what emu is that using?

smithers
    Participant

Thanks. Took a while to decide on what icons to use. I really liked the Google Material Design power menu but couldn’t find a high resolution vector image for it, or even a good enough sized image to lift them off. :/ I opted instead for the Samsung power menu!

The ‘Arcade Classics’ logo I found on the net after again much searching. It is for the MAME emulators. I also have an ‘Arcade’ theme (not seen in above video), which combines all MAME and FBA variants under one system. Should you want these logos you can find them all in my theme pack in the ‘Themes’ section on this forum.

Cheers.

robertybob
    Participant

Looks good! Is there was an extra option to exit Emulationstation then I would definitely download this. I know it’s not strictly a power option, but I use this option frequently when modifying things while it’s running.

smithers
    Participant

It could be easily added, I think. The hardest part is finding a suitable icon, keeping with the theme. :/

Only thing I would say though is that if you are exiting Emulation Station into the terminal then I would say you are probably going to be using a keyboard straight away anyway. In fact, you have to press a key within a few seconds to remain in the terminal and prevent ES loading up again, so does that not make the ‘Exit Emulation Station’ menu button rather useless? Seems to me the <F4> key is just as easy?

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=109168]It could be easily added, I think. The hardest part is finding a suitable icon, keeping with the theme. :/

Only thing I would say though is that if you are exiting Emulation Station into the terminal then I would say you are probably going to be using a keyboard straight away anyway. In fact, you have to press a key within a few seconds to remain in the terminal and prevent ES loading up again, so does that not make the ‘Exit Emulation Station’ menu button rather useless? Seems to me the <F4> key is just as easy?

[/quote]

I understand where you’re coming from, however I don’t have a keyboard as part of my setup – I use my laptop (WinSCP) to make changes to a gamelist, or add new games, then exit ES (rather than the lengthy process of rebooting) so the changes show up.

candyluv
    Participant

It looks great smithers. Great work as always.

smithers
    Participant

[quote=109352]It looks great smithers. Great work as always.

[/quote]

Thanks! :)

[quote=109290]I understand where you’re coming from, however I don’t have a keyboard as part of my setup – I use my laptop (WinSCP) to make changes to a gamelist, or add new games, then exit ES (rather than the lengthy process of rebooting) so the changes show up.

[/quote]

So if I am following you then you would mainly use it as a ‘refresh tool’ for emulation station, is that correct? And in that case, on exit, you wouldn’t want it to remain in the terminal, you would want it to keep the normal “loading Emulation Station in 5 seconds” functionality, is that right?

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=109584]

It looks great smithers. Great work as always.

Thanks! :)

I understand where you’re coming from, however I don’t have a keyboard as part of my setup – I use my laptop (WinSCP) to make changes to a gamelist, or add new games, then exit ES (rather than the lengthy process of rebooting) so the changes show up.

So if I am following you then you would mainly use it as a ‘refresh tool’ for emulation station, is that correct? And in that case, on exit, you wouldn’t want it to remain in the terminal, you would want it to keep the normal “loading Emulation Station in 5 seconds” functionality, is that right?

[/quote]

That’s correct :)

rdhanded2
    Participant

I have a question. I installed the files and when I select either shutdown or reboot I get permission denied. Probably something simple I am overlooking but and help is appreciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please tell me how to make a button to turn on raspaberry 2?

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=114231]Please tell me how to make a button to turn on raspaberry 2?

[/quote]
    Once you get that shutdown script running, the button doubles as a power on, and reset button. ;)

linuxgnuru
    Participant

this intrigues me as I am in the process of creating a kids-friendly arcade box and could use a way to stop any would-be-hackers. Question though, how do you disable the start button menu from the emulation station area?

smithers
    Participant

Sorry, only just seen this question!

To remi a the ‘Start’ and ‘Select’ button functionality you would edit the ‘es_input.cfg’ file (pretty sure that’s what it’s called). From memory, it is located here:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg

All you need to do is remove the lines that begin with ‘start’ and ‘select’ and youre done. In fact you may be able to just comment them out with a # but I haven’t tried that.

Any questions just let me know.

Cheers
    Steve

zigurana
    Participant

[quote=118114]this intrigues me as I am in the process of creating a kids-friendly arcade box and could use a way to stop any would-be-hackers.
    [/quote]

Please have a look at the wiki

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.