Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

Pretty much have things set up as I like, but I recently got a Play Sega USB joypad with 6 buttons, but for the life of me it will not set correctly in Picodrive. I’ve tried all sorts of settings, but when I go into, say, SF2 all the buttons are the wrong way round.

It would seem to me that the issue is that it doesn’t view the syntax of the SNES style Retroarch config in the same way. I set buttons as follows:

input_player1_y_btn = "0"
    input_player1_b_btn = "3"
    input_player1_x_btn = "1"
    input_player1_a_btn = "4"
    input_player1_l_btn = "2"
    input_player1_r_btn = "5"

…thinking this makes perfect sense but when I go to play the game it’s all wrong. So I pop back into the cfg file to change it to the correct layout but when I try to play again it’s worse! At this point it becomes a logistical nightmare and I bang my head on the wall!

I just don’t understand where I’m going wrong. I’ve tried to find some Picodrive help around the net but nothing really fixes it. I’ve also tried sorting it in the RGUI options but that doesn’t recognise the Sega 6-button layout, only SNES style so that adds another layer of confusion. I also ought to add I have indeed enabled the 6 button option in the core settings, so it’s not that.

Halp!

K-Project
    Participant

Well, soon as I ask on the forum, a solution presents itself!

Turns out that I had indeed set the pad correctly, but it needed a further configuration in-game. Duh me! Once that’s done the pad is perfect. :)

However, on another note now I am noticing that my settings aren’t saved once I exit and return to the game. Is there a way to enable the game to remember my changes, or will I just have to reset the controller each time I play? Thanks again.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Hi, if you place a retroarch.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/ you can create custom controls for the megadrive that will override the default retroarch.cfg in /configs/all/

Use jstest to determine buttons:
    jstest /dev/input/js0

(try js1 if js0 doesn’t work)

K-Project
    Participant

[quote=24040]Hi, if you place a retroarch.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/ you can create custom controls for the megadrive that will override the default retroarch.cfg in /configs/all/

Use jtest to determine buttons:
    jtest /dev/input/js0

(try js1 if js0 doesn’t work)
    [/quote]

Hi and thanks for your response. :)

I had already done this, but as I say when trying to switch round the buttons into the correct setting it never worked. They were always wrong. Trust me, I’ve spent the whole weekend trying to do it! I got the correct buttons from jstest, but they would never match up to the correct inputs no matter what I did. It didn’t help that Retroarch only recognises a SNES-style layout, but even approximating that layout it would never match the LP/MP/HP – LK/MK/HK X/Y/Z – A/B/C setup for SF2 on the Megadrive.

Could have slapped myself when I saw the button remap config in-game. :D

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Oh right, that’s strange! I think you can save a config from the Retroarch GUI, you may need to create a file somewhere first i’m not sure.

spanner
    Participant

I know what A,B,C are they are A=y ,B=b ,C=a.

Here is the rest,I have worked them out so you don’t have to..:D
    input_player1_y_btn = “0”
    input_player1_b_btn = “1”
    input_player1_x_btn = “4 ”
    input_player1_a_btn = “2”
    input_player1_l_btn = “3”
    input_player1_r_btn = “5”

This will only work with the Play Sega pad but might work with others that have the same button numbers.This is now resolved..

shwisha
    Participant

*bump*

I’m having the same problem with a Generic Xbox Controller (Xbox 360 Fightpad).

With NES and SNES I had no problem remapping the buttons individually. I found a game I knew the buttons for and then remapped the emulator specific config as necessary.

Followed this same process using Super Super Street Fighter 2 but for the life of me they are not mapping correctly.

Config is in: /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/retroarch.cfg

chito
    Participant

Where is the in game button remap? Retropie noob

letsgetacid
    Participant

I didn’t do it for SF2 yet, but here is a button mapping for Mortal Kombat games if you have an Xbox 360 controller:

input_player1_y_btn = 0
    input_player1_x_btn = 6
    input_player1_b_btn = 7
    input_player1_a_btn = 1
    input_player1_l_btn = 2
    input_player1_r_btn = 3
    input_player1_start_btn = 9
    input_player1_select_btn = 8

I wish there was a way to set controls at the ROM level – it would make things like this a breeze. Maybe there’s some sort of workaround?

windjammersfan
    Participant

[quote=24053]Oh right, that’s strange! I think you can save a config from the Retroarch GUI, you may need to create a file somewhere first i’m not sure.[/quote]
    When I try to save a config in the retroarch UI for control layouts it crashes. Would this be the problem? I already have a retroarch config file in /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/ and yet it hangs when a it tries to save my new button mapping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.