Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi.

I’m fairly new to the whole Rpi experience and the first thing I tried to do with it is to make it in to an emulator station obviously :P

I can get most of the emulators working correctly but I can’t seem to get neo geo and psx games to work. I have bios for both systems loaded in to the correct folders.

Neo geo recognizes the games and shows them on the list. But when I start the game the screen goes black for a while then a line of text appears about where the log file will be saved and then just quits the game and brings me back to the games list. I tried FBA since everyone sais it’s more reliable.

For the playstation it’s a whole different story. I put the BIOS bin file in to the psx folder and it show in the games list. OK so far. Then I try loading a rom in bin format to the folder but it doesn’t show up in the list.

herbfargus
    winnetouch
    Participant

After I placed the bios in to the bios folder

the Neo Geo emulator keeps stating that there is no space left on the device (when trying to run opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runncomand.sh … I have a 16gb SD card and only one neo geo game and playstation game loaded on to it.

For psx it states it’s an unsupported CD image even though I’m sure it’s a bin file and a playstation rom :P.

herbfargus
    winnetouch
    Participant

Thank you, that got the playstation rom to work but that doesn’t solve the neo geo not working.

shoothere
    Participant

The neogeo.zip file should be in the neogeo folder, not the BIOS folder.

Also: when in doubt, make sure you have a working neogeo bios. For me I was convinced I had a working one but in the end I had to download a fresh one and start from htere.

meneerjansen
    Participant

With the Neo Geo you might have the same problem as in this topic, i.e. your ROM’s being to new. I think he finally got it working by converting his ROM’s to a version that lr-FBA can handle using this tutorial. Good luck! :)

winnetouch
    Participant

Hm… I just downloaded clrmamepro for the purposes of the tutorial but I’m kinda stumped at one point. The only fba folder I have in my retropie roms folder is named just plain fba. But the tutorial keeps mentioning pifba and lr-fba. Which is the right one now?

EDIT: I tried both lr-fba and pifba and none of them worked. Am I simply using the wrong emulator?

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=114179]EDIT: I tried both lr-fba and pifba and none of them worked. Am I simply using the wrong emulator?[/quote]
    What do you mean exactly? If you’ve got a romset of a certain version (for instance 0.154 for the lr-fba) then you can read here how to use the various FBA versions (lr-fba, pi-fba, etc.) w/ those ROMs.

I, unfortunately, do not know how to use clrMame to convert one romset version into another. I own romsets from long, long ago that work w/ Retropie’s Mame and GnGeo-Pi. Also make sure you’ve got a working BIOS file for the Neo Geo and that it is placed in the proper place (i.e. for GnGeo-Pi in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/neogeo).

Good luck :)

dankcushions
    Participant

it’d also be helpful if you could paste the contents of /tmp/runcommand.log after you try to run a neogeo rom and it fails. that should show the specific error you’re getting.

eyepie
    Participant

the neogeo emu is a bit picky about which bios version you use. You need to use the specific one mentioned on the retropie neogeo page.

winnetouch
    Participant

[quote=114248]it’d also be helpful if you could paste the contents of /tmp/runcommand.log after you try to run a neogeo rom and it fails. that should show the specific error you’re getting.

[/quote]

I tried locating the file but can’t find it via SSH. How can I access it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve got the same problem with 3.4. Load neo geo games and get a black screen before dropping back to emulation station.

The same roms work perfectly fine with 3.3.

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=114761]I’ve got the same problem with 3.4. Load neo geo games and get a black screen before dropping back to emulation station.

The same roms work perfectly fine with 3.3.

[/quote]
    That might mean that RetroPie changed from Neo Geo emulator version. from 3.3 to 3.4. I almost never update anything for this reason: if it an’t broken, don’t try to fix it.

labelwhore
    Participant

^^ don’t upgrade just to upgrade. Wait until there is a fix you need.

winnetouch
    Participant

I get all that and I did not upgrade. I just bough the new RP2 and just downloaded he last stable build of retropie for RP2.

All the same that doesn’t answer how I can access runcommand.log. I can’t find it on the pi.

labelwhore
    Participant

It should be in the /tmp folder. How are you trying to access it?

winnetouch
    Participant

With ssh. Where is the tmp folder located. I can’t find it.

dankcushions
    Participant

it’s /tmp/ you need to go right to the root and then access /tmp/. most ftp clients will have a text box where you can just type that in

winnetouch
    Participant

I finally got the chance to look at the log file. It’s empty. So that won’t help :P

I did find a rom that works though. I don’t know how I did it but I managed to get that one single rom working. Is there a way to find out what romset version it is?

labelwhore
    Participant

The only thing you can do is convert a romset with clrmame. Converting them yourself is the only way to be sure what version of mame or neogeo roms you have.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

what about testing different bios packs? you should be looking for a neogeo.zip keep it zipped, I see in your first post you wrote .bin file?!
    some neogeo.zip’s don’t contain All the files needed

labelwhore
    Participant

your best bet is to get the very latest complete set you can find, and look for the rollback rom set to match that verion. (rollback roms are a set of files from previous mame roms that may be needed to build some older rom sets.) Then run through the instructions here twice, once using the complete set as a source, then again using the rollback romset as a source:

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

Doing all of that will give you a 100% complete set of any version mame or fba roms that you need.

labelwhore
    Participant

Also, if you try to start a game and it immediately goes back to ES without anything in runcommand.log, that usually means you have the wrong bios.

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=115934]I finally got the chance to look at the log file. It’s empty. So that won’t help ?

I did find a rom that works though. I don’t know how I did it but I managed to get that one single rom working. Is there a way to find out what romset version it is?

[/quote]
    That can happen. chances are that particular rom hasn’t changed over a few different fba versions.

winnetouch
    Participant

Yes… But there is also the chance I found the correct bios and romset comvination. Is there a way to find out what romset a certain file is? I don’t remember where I got the rom from to check.

dankcushions
    Participant

the runcommand.log resets every boot i think. to get it to popualate you need to run the game that doesn’t work, and then look.

to check a rom matches the romset you require: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs – scan romset

i’d sooner start afresh – it’s probably going to be a nightmare downloading odd roms as you never know where they’re from. just download a complete set.

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=115943]Yes… But there is also the chance I found the correct bios and romset comvination. Is there a way to find out what romset a certain file is? I don’t remember where I got the rom from to check.

[/quote]
    There is no way to tell other than building the set yourself. If you use a .dat file for version .106 to build a set, then you have version .106. That’s really the only way there is.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.