Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Would it be possible to have a folder of MP3 files somewhere on the system, then on the boot menu, it would randomly choose one to play and basically create a playlist out of them? I think this would be a cool feature to add to my gaming cabinet. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

ronoh55
    Participant

You mean the system menu or on the splash screen? For the splash screen your best bet would be to make multiple videos (of a static image if that’s all you want) with the music playing, and use the splash screen randomizer (https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/splashscreen-randomizer/) to pick them randomly.
    If you want it on the systems menu or Emulationstation as a whole, I don’t think it’s currently possible. Hopefully someone who knows more about Linux systems and ES/Retropie as a whole can give more help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually, all I was looking for was background music on the system menu, not the splashscreen. The system menu just seems a bit boring, and I’d like to spice it up a bit on my system. If possible, please let me know, thanks.

herbfargus

You’d have to recode emulationstation source code and recompile it. I think recalbox has it integrated with their build of emulationstation if you want to try them out.

synack
    Participant

One quick way is to run a script in the background checking for the existence of a few processes. The bash script should work if you use all RetroArch emulators, and will play random mp3s in the background until a game is launched.

#!/bin/bash

while true; do

RA=$(pgrep retroarch)
    ES=$(pgrep emulationstat)
    M123=$(pgrep mpg123)

if [ "$RA" ]; then
      pkill mpg123
    elif [ ! "$RA" ] && [ ! "$M123" ] && [ "$ES" ]; then
      mpg123 -q -Z ~/RetroPie/media/mp3/* &>/dev/null &
    fi

sleep 1
    done
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a ton! I added DJ Silenze’s “I Love VGM” track to the boot menu, and I love it!

writerson
    Participant

hi, im a newbie
    could you please guide me a way, how to edit this bash script ?
    how could i add these code? i am trying to open \bin\bash from winSCP, file is not like config files..

if i use command prompt, after i write all these codes, nothings happening.

thanks

g0nz0uk
    Participant

What a great idea, did it work?

labelwhore
    Participant

Take a look at what I’m working on. It’s a little more complex than what’s above, but I think I can integrate that into what I’m doing. It may make some things a bit simpler. :)

*Edit: on second thought, the above code looks like it works only with retroarch emulators. I hacked the emulator launch scripts to be more thorough.

Adding Music To RetroPie (A Work in Progress)

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=111194]hi, im a newbie
    could you please guide me a way, how to edit this bash script ?
    how could i add these code? i am trying to open \bin\bash from winSCP, file is not like config files..

if i use command prompt, after i write all these codes, nothings happening.

thanks

[/quote]

If you’re editing bash scripts on PC , you need to save the files for a UNIX file system. If you use textpad like I do, the option is on the save as menu.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.