Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Splash screens Splashscreen Randomizer

Tagged: 

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    sur0x
    Participant

Hi Guise,

I have created a simple script that randomize at boot time the splashscreen on your retropie.
    It has more than 70 splashscreens and 8 videos.

Fully working with Retropie3.5

GitHub:

https://github.com/sur0x/retropiesplashscreen

Here’s the gallery:

https://github.com/sur0x/retropiesplashscreen/wiki/SplashScreens

splashs

videos

proxycell
    Participant

thanks for this! i will use this with my retropie setup later

sur0x
    Participant
    proxycell
    Participant

hey man, does this requires the fbi package to be installed?

EDIT: wait, is this just modifying the splashscreen to be launched? nothing else? yay!

sur0x
    Participant

Hi @proxycell yeah, it’s basically a splashscreen changer, but it adds a lots of new splashs

tupadre
    Participant

Not sure what I have done wrong on this but I cant seem to get it to work correctly. I updated via git. It installed to /home/pi/retropiesplashscreen (is this the right directory because I though splashscreens went to the supplementary folder)

I then did sudo ./retropiesplashscreen/setup_splash.sh

Update……then rebooted (didn’t do anything different)

got back in and Boot Install (nothing different here either)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sur0x
    Participant

@tupadre that’s correct, splashs are copied over supplmentary folder.

Did you choose option 1 after execute:

./retropiesplashscreen/setup_splash.sh

and everything went correct?

Thing to try:

After Pressing number 1, a file called dirs.txt should be created in folder, check if it has the name of the splashs folder

Check how many splashs are in:
    ls /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/supplementary/splashscreens/

Check Current splash and execute script only:
    1- cat /etc/splashscreen.list then check which one is there
    2- sudo ./retropiesplashscreen/splashsscreen.sh
    3- cat /etc/splashscreen.list check again, should change

and post results here

sur0x
    Participant

Hey guise, updated with latest submissions, checkout the gallery!

sur0x
    Participant

Hey guys, back.

Updated the information, the randomizer is working perfect with 2.6 and 3.0beta2.

I added 3 more splashs that Ive got on the forum, check here:

https://github.com/sur0x/retropiesplashscreen/wiki/SplashScreens

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey man, this is fantastic! Can I delete splash’s I don’t like and add my own? Or would I have to edit a splashscreen list file or something?

sur0x
    Participant

[quote=97363]Hey man, this is fantastic! Can I delete splash’s I don’t like and add my own? Or would I have to edit a splashscreen list file or something?

[/quote]

Hey!
    Sure, you can delete and add without problem, clone the project and delete the folders that you don’t want it or add more folders, just preserve the folder hierarchy.
    Then use the installer, you don’t need to edit anything else

If you have more suitable images please send me over github or rodrigosiviero at gmail and I can include it on the github as well.

tupadre
    Participant

I use this on my system and have added/taken off as needed. It is really awesome and I always watch just to see which screen comes up next.

yanfox
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve tried your script, really nice job !

Just a question, why don’t you use the original splashcreen folder for random ?
    Maybe with this little mod, it can be used in the next version as an option ?

Maybe you can add an option to uninstall the script too :)

Keep up the good work ^^

sur0x
    Participant

Hi @yanfox it currently uses the same folder that retropie uses for the splashscreens, so it will randomize with the repository custom splashs and original ones.

About the uninstall I’ll do asap, great idea!

yanfox
    Participant

Hi Surox,

I mess it :) very good !

Do you think it’ll works with video too ? (did not tried).

I’m currently use the Smither video with psone audio… really good ! I’m fan :) But if I find other interesting videos without branding for the author, I’ll use it with your random script for sure ^^

I’m pretty sure that it’s better to merge your splashscreen and original one to avoid mistakes with users… that’s my opinion ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried to install/run this (which looks awesome by the way), and cloning worked, but when using “sudo ./setup_splash.sh” or “sudo ./splashscreen.sh” it doesn’t work, saying ‘command not found’.

Thoughts?

edit: disregard this; I was in the wrong directory.

Works great, is amazing! :D Thanks!

sur0x
    Participant

Hi @yanfox , @tinyorange,

Glad that you guys liked it!!

Regarding the videos, the code should work if you maintain the folder structure like the images, since it will get everything after the folder, but I didnt tested since rpi2 is so fast that I feel unnecessary to put video intros!!

/videofolder/video.*

Also I cannot merge the retropie splashs into my repo, that’s why I choose to ‘merge’ using the same folder, so no matter what you put there or version that you have of retropie it will work anyways!

I’ll spare some time to add the new splashs here in the forum today!

herbfargus

I changed the code so that by default video splashscreens will play all the way through before emulationstation loads rather than emulationstation cutting it off. You just need to update your setup script and re-enable auto starting emulationstation from option 3 in the setup script. It will be integrated in future releases.

retroman33
    Participant

I’ve just installed this script, and it has basically broken any splash screen functionality on my system. I get the Loading Failed text on the bottom left hand side of the screen when the splash screen should be present.

Is there a a simple script written to remove this process?

sur0x
    Participant

@retroman33, which version of retropie are you using?

If you want to remove just edit the: /etc/splashscreen.list to your chosen image and remove the files,

also execute: update-rc.d splashscreen.sh remove

I’ll add the uninstall process asap

retroman33
    Participant

Hi sur0x,

This has to be the fastest response ever! You are awesome.

I’d actually like to solve the issue rather than delete, as your project is one of the most exciting aspects of my system if I can get it working.

I am on the latest 3.2.1, which I saw wasn’t the 3.1 you stated is the latest build.

I have made numerous videos that worked previous to the script, but cannot get them to load. I’ve placed the videos in the folder that you’ve created, the supp folder, and the config folder that emulationstation provides for loading your own. I’ve rerun the setup_splash.sh after doing so. Can’t get videos or the pictures to load.

sur0x
    Participant

Hi @retroman33 , I’m formating my SD to test it right know hold a sec! And videos are not tested but should work!!!

sur0x
    Participant

@retroman33 Now it’s working for the latest retropie!!! please try update and test it.

retroman33
    Participant

Will give it a crack right now, stay tuned!

retroman33
    Participant

Apologies for the late reply, dealing with my wifes pregnancy at the moment. I’ve updated and it works perfectly. However, I’ve deleted all the static images and replaced them with 5 movies in the same folder structure, in their own folders. When I restart I am still receiving the same static art images you’ve inserted. Do I need to reupdate the script now that I’ve replaced items?

retroman33
    Participant

Just tried to update, and see what happened. Still getting the images rather than the videos i’ve embedded. Thinking perhaps I have not placed them in the correct folder.

I have them in home/pi/splashscreens
    They are also in home/pi/retropiesplashscreens/splashscreens
    Also in home/pi/Retropie/Splashscreens

All three locations have the movies only. Still getting the images popping up instead even though to my knowledge they should be deleted.

It’s kicking my brain, but still fun.

retroman33
    Participant

Just realised they will be in the supplementary folder,as suggested above in a previous post. Will try it out soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could someone explain a bit if I wanted to add or replace some of the splash screens that it randomizes. I saw sur0x’s comment toward the top but it’s going right over my head.

Does the script need to know the list of splash screens or does it simply pull at random from a folder? Thank you!

sur0x
    Participant

Hi @bitbytepixelsprite no, simply remove or add the splashs in the same folder structure, script uses the same folder as the retropie and will get random folders everytime

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perfect, thank you. I thought that was what you were stating. Would I need to run the set up once more after I change the screens? Or will it just pull at random from the folder?

sur0x
    Participant

Hi @bitbytepixelsprite, no run setup just once, so every reboot it will execute the script getting the list of all folders at the present time, so feel free to add or remove the splashscreens folders.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to check would I need to create a individual folder for each image I add?

sur0x
    Participant

Yes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok I tried to remove some of the screens that came with the tool, and they are still in rotation. I did so by deleting their folders from retropiesplashscreen is this not the correct place to add or remove from? I did not see any files in RetroPie/splashscreens

Btw sur0x you are great! Thank you for all the help!

sur0x
    Participant

You need to remove them from the /opt dir, not the place where Git downloads them.

Try to search at /opt/retropie/supplementary/splashscreen

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 49 total)
  • The forum ‘Splash screens’ is closed to new topics and replies.