Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Can I switch soundcards on a per emulator basis?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    IIeBoy
    Participant

I have connected a USB soundcard to the original speaker inside an Apple //e case. It works! But I want sound to go through that USB device only when I run LinApple (the Apple //e emulator).

Q: Is there a way to change the sound output device on the fly, when loading each emulator?

Currently I have set the system to use the USB device (the Apple speaker) system-wide, by changing the following as specified at https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-audio-cards-with-a-raspberry-pi/updating-alsa-config

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd-usb-audio index=0
    But I’d like to use the main sound device (HDMI output) for the rest of the system and the other emulators. Ideas welcomed!

Background: The sound quality is horribly glitchy in LinApple. But I have made an Apple Piie using an Apple //e case, including its speaker. For //e emulation, my aim is to connect the sound card output to the existing Apple //e speaker. I’m told by the dev of LinApple that using a USB sound card fixes the glitchy sound provided by the Pi.

IIeBoy
    Participant

*bump*

karloss
    Participant

can i ask why you only want to use it for that emulator, sound via headphone jack is shite on all the emulators, not just that one…and a usb soundcard is the only want to fix it…

IIeBoy
    Participant

I have OK sound on all the other emulators. LinApple was the only one where it seriously popped and crackled. Hope this helps you answer my original question? Thanks.

karloss
    Participant

ok, well as far as im aware, this cannot be done without a reboot, maybe trying playing about and making the change then restarting the alsa process, that may make the change..

though I still don’t see why you need to change, just used the external soundcard all the time..

trimmtrabb
    Participant

what’s the performance like with usb audio?

IIeBoy
    Participant

I wanted to switch because the quality of the Apple //e speaker is horribly bad for emulators like MAME which I’d rather go through HDMI sound, but it’s beautifully bad when emulating the actual Apple //e ;)

The quality of the USB sound card sadly only improves the actual audio quality a tiny bit. Not even 10%. I wouldn’t bother frankly – I just wanted the option. Mind you the sound card was under $5 on Amazon :D

I am disappointed with so many aspects of Pi emulation that I’m now working towards replacing it with a Wii running Homebrew Channel and their emulators instead. :(

karloss
    Participant

I completely disagree with this, the usb sound card completely removes all the distortion and feedback experienced via the standard phono from the pi…if I was you I would replace the speaker in the Apple..

no performance hits with usb audio.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

which usb audio are you using Karloss?

IIeBoy
    Participant

Karloss, it’s not about agreeing or “completely disagree”ing, it’s different setups, different equipment, different emulators.

It’s just a fact that with my USB sound device, the sound is still appalling through LinApple only.

You may be using a different emulator, or different USB device.

Trust me the Apple speaker is fine, it plays test MP3s through the Pi surprisingly well.

Thanks for your input.

karloss
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.