Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Xbox Controllers work in menus but won't control some emulators/games

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    IIeBoy
    Participant

Hi all, firstly, and again, thank you to the developer for making RetroPie exist. I have had an interesting time with my project “Apple Piie” (see my other thread) and almost everything is working now as it should, with a few exceptions.

I have set up the wireless Xbox 360 controllers successfully, and both of them register in the Input Configuration, and I can configure every button correctly on Player 1 & 2, and they test perfectly in the config program.

However for some emulators, they do not control gameplay, with a few exceptions. I have tried:

Atari 800 – They won’t control anything (tried with Asteroids for Atari 400)
    Apple //e – Won’t control anything
    ZX Spectrum – Won’t control anything

EmulationStation menus – controls everything, can swipe left and right, menu, select
    Input Config tests – works beautifully
    Commodore 64, MAME4All, also work

To get the above to work I had to do some config work in each individual emulator’s settings, to map the joysticks to the same mapping that I thought I had done in Input Config. I’d politely recommend to the developer that this be automatic in future, if at all possible, otherwise there seems little need for Input Config if it is not in fact configuring any of the emulators.

So basically, half the emulators that recognize and utilize joysticks on Mac/PC, do not recognize joysticks on Raspberry Pi with RetroPie, even after trying to individually configure said emulators.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    IIeBoy

venkatrl
    Participant

I’m having the exact same issue. I was initially excited that Retropie included support for my Xbox 360 controller — but after following hours of advice, it is clear that by “support” the developers only intend the Xbox 360 controller to work with emulationstation and Input Control. Using your controller to click through Input Control is fun and everything, but I had assumed that the claims about “Xbox 360 Support” applied to the games (not just to controlling the menuning system). I feel duped!

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Plenty of instructions on how to use xbox 360 pads, search the forum.

IIeBoy
    Participant

trimmtrabb, did you read this whole thread? I’d be amazed if the solution was anywhere as I certainly have searched.

venkatrl
    Participant

Hi trimmtrabb,

Would you happen to know of an alternative? Please take into account that I put up my post after reading the relevant literature from the forums (the specific resources are listed at the end of this post). It took hours, but after following all of the available advice, I’m still in the same spot.

trimmtrabb, it seems as though you have a working setup — that’s awesome. I’m sure there are a number of blog posts that you have read (that you have read that I have not). But in addition to merely pointing this out, do you think you could suggest a specific post (in addition to the ones I have listed at the end of this article) that could be a bit more helpful?

Cheers,

Venkat

PETROCK BLOG RE: RETROPIE SETUP:
    https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller

PETROC BLOG RE: RETROARCH:

Update for the RetroPie Setup Script: Support for RetroArch’s Autoconfig Functionality and (wired) Xbox 360 controller support

MY LAST POST OF THE PROBLEM:

Keyboard (but not Wired Xbox 360 controller) works for RetroPie emulation

InsecureSpike
    Participant

guys some of these emulators have completely separate configs for controllers, so some have to be mapped separately, zx Speccy emu is a pig to get configured! I’m still just using my keyboard for that, but as Trimmtrabb said the answers are about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trimmtrabb
    Participant

[quote=6858]trimmtrabb, did you read this whole thread? I’d be amazed if the solution was anywhere as I certainly have searched.[/quote]

I was replying to Venkatrl as he seems to be having trouble getting the pad working at all in any of the emulators.

As InsecureSpike said, there are seperate configs for certain emulators. I don’t use any of the emulators you have mentioned so you’ll have to do some research. RetroPie generally is pretty easy to get running ‘out of the box’ but sometimes you’ll run into these issues. Hope you find a solution.

venkatrl
    Participant

Thank you, trimmtrabb – the suggestions that you provided on my original thread helped for nearly all of the emulators. I suggest that anyone having the same issue check out that thread – it worked for me and I’m happy to provide any tips from my experience.

Appreciate the help,

Venkat

IIeBoy
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.