Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’d like to give back something to this community and was thinking about doing some backgrounds for the system selection screen. I would like to know if this would interest somebody. Here is the first one, for amstrad cpc.

herbfargus

That looks real nice. I’d be happy to work with you on it: we could base it on the simple (default) theme- I could code a different colour scheme/font on the gamelist page as to make it distinguishable from the simple theme

(I’m currently working on another theme with rookervik so I have a pretty good idea of how to set up themes)

How many systems were you planning on making wallpapers for?

tronkyfran
    Participant

Wow, teamwork,yeah! I’d like to do at least Amstrad, Spectrum, MSX, C64, Amiga and AtariST. Next one will be Amiga. I originally planned to do the 3d modelling of the logo inscribed on every machine and avoid doing the computer complete model, but I’m open to new ideas ;)

If my little minion leave me some time I’d like to do the rest of systems too, nes, snes, megadrive…

herbfargus

Ideally it would be best to have a complete set

(its a pet peeve of mine when someone says hey I have a theme! And then it has like 5 systems on it…)

But there’s no time constraints on it so whatever you’re comfortable with doing. All submissions are appreciated. I think the logo like you did on amstrad should suffice for the rest of the systems unless you’re really invested in 3d modelling stuff. (I figure as long as you’re consistent it should look fine) I’m not that great with Photoshop or illustrator but I can do the xml editing.

If you wanted I could set up a github repo and then I could add your submissions or I could add you as a collaborator and you can submit them there- then once it’s completed we can just clone it as its own repo in the retropie organisation and add it to the setup script so people can install it from the setup script.

tronkyfran
    Participant

That would be perfect, I have zero experience with github and similars and If you manage that and the theme I can focus on the image creation. I will try to do the complete set ;)

herbfargus

That I can do :)

tronkyfran
    Participant

Amiga

Yeah, there are some consistence problems between images but I’ll work on it later, dont want to lose the momentum :D.
    Once we’ve got all the systems I’ll make the serie more coherent.

herbfargus

Sounds good to me

tronkyfran
    Participant

Zx Spectrum

herbfargus

just in case you’re curious, here’s the repo I created, I’ve already added your first 3 wallpapers: https://github.com/HerbFargus/es-theme-tronkyfran

tronkyfran
    Participant

Really nice!!!! The next one will be 3do and then in alphabetical order the rest…I hope to find images of all the systems, there are some that I didn’t even know that existed…:D

ronoh55
    Participant

Just came by to see how the progress is going and find the spectrum added to the mix! Can’t wait to see these all done.

tronkyfran
    Participant

3do

By the way, I acccept suggestions about the images. There are some ugly borders around the white letters, I’ll fix that later.

tronkyfran
    Participant

I’f like to add some floating images of the system a la nbba theme, but to make them more stylish and contrasted with the semi-realistic background they would be just whites outlines, like those of the blueprints. Whay do you think?

And as a side-idea I’m going to implement in the lower part of the system selection a white blueprint of a ps3 controller(the only one I have), with the controls for each emulator highlighted.
    This will be done after every background and floaters are done, if anyone is interested.

ronoh55
    Participant

I like the idea of the “blueprint” option. The blueprint for the controller is a good idea too, but I wonder if it should be set as a floater as well instead of integrated into the background.

tronkyfran
    Participant

Tried the blueprint, it works pretty well.
    Comig soon: Apple II

herbfargus

The floating blueprint things would be best coded in rather than rendered on the background image as ronoh said. you can see an example of that with this theme I’m working on: https://github.com/HerbFargus/es-theme-carbon

Keep up the good work.

tronkyfran
    Participant

They are not on the background,dont worry ;), I will post the systems blueprints and you can code them in :D

tronkyfran
    Participant

Apple II

tronkyfran
    Participant

The first blueprints

tronkyfran
    Participant

Atari 2600. I did the complete model, just the logo was a bit boring…

herbfargus

Looks great!

tronkyfran
    Participant

Yeah, but now the difference of quality is so big that I’ll have to remake all I made before!!!! xDDDDDDD
    Nah, lets finish all the systems and we’ll see!!!! :D

If I post the blueprint with every system can you test it? Or it is better when I finish every background?

herbfargus

If you’re making the blueprints in svg that would be the preferred file type but I’ve been saving the blueprints in each folder I haven’t quite tested them yet

tronkyfran
    Participant

Ok, I can convert them, no problem.

herbfargus

I can change the colour In the code with svg so if we need to adapt it for backgrounds we can.

tronkyfran
    Participant

Atari 5200

tronkyfran
    Participant

Next one, Atari 7800. I have no basemodels for atari 800 or atari falcon, so Im afraid theyll take more time…or if some good samaritan has a rough 3d model of one of those… :D

tronkyfran
    Participant

Atari 7800, had to model everything, and thats really slow… :(

tronkyfran
    Participant

Mame (I use adv-mame) done, not the next one in alphabetical order but I wanted to do it.

ronoh55
    Participant

I think the arcade machine for MAME should have the old “Winners Don’t Use Drugs” page from all the old arcade machines instead of a shot of any particular game. Just a thought.

https://i.warosu.org/data/vr/img/0008/96/1373653344280.png

tronkyfran
    Participant

Atari Lynx, proud of this one :D

tronkyfran
    Participant

By the way, anyone who wants to use these images for personal or non-commercial use is free to do it,just give credit to author, please.

tronkyfran
    Participant

Commodore 64

tronkyfran
    Participant

Dreamcast, the second one is ok, without artifacts.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 142 total)
  • The forum ‘Emulation Station Themes’ is closed to new topics and replies.