Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I’m working on finishing up building an arcade cabinet with a retropie setup. The cabinet controls are a two player joystick and button configuration.

My question is, is it possible to disable the joystick controls easily within retropie, and switch over to using PS3 controllers? I want to use the PS3 controllers for games that aren’t conducive to arcade gaming. If I don’t disable the joysticks somehow, the ps3 controllers link up as player 3 and player 4, which isn’t going to work. The only method I could think of now is to just unplug the USB for the joystick and button controls, but it would be great if there was a software switch I could make to turn off the joysticks, and then use the PS3 controllers.

Thanks for the help!
    ~Phil

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m planning a similar bartop arcade with a dual arcade joystick/button setup and I’d like to be able to plug USB controllers in and have them become player 1/2 as well. I’ve been worried about the problems you’re describing and look forward to hearing others’ solutions.

hoofa
    Participant

I’ll third that! Also very keen to understand this, at the moment i’m doing this by changing my retroarch config file via a network connection

hoofa
    Participant

I’ll third that! Also very keen to understand this, at the moment i’m doing this by changing my retroarch config file via a network connection

hijinksensue
    Participant

I’m in the exact same boat. I have a bartop machine running with the Xin-Mo dual arcade controls and I want to be able to plug in two wired Gravis Gamepads to play Sega, NES, SNES games, etc. Very interested to see if anyone has a solution for this.

pohlinger31
    Participant

It would be great if we could flip a physical switch on the outside of the cabinet to activate a software switch – If not that then a menu setting within the retropie settings would do just fine as well! :)

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=117172]It would be great if we could flip a physical switch on the outside of the cabinet to activate a software switch – If not that then a menu setting within the retropie settings would do just fine as well! :)

[/quote]It wouldn’t be hard to do just that, assuming you can start the arcade joystick drivers from command line. Just use a python script that starts via /etc/rc.local and evaluate the state of a switch connected to the gpio and start one driver or the other based on that evaluation.

Here’s a little info on working with the gpio. Obviously, you’d want a toggle switch here rather than a tactile switch.

http://razzpisampler.oreilly.com/ch07.html

dankcushions
    Participant

i think this sort of thing would only be solved by retroarch/libretro itself. you should ask on the forums but it looks like people have already asked and it’s a no: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5041

you could also log it as a request on their github: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues

i think you could actually use a physical switch if you were so inclined. you’d need something that switches from one USB device to another, entirely breaking the circuit. i think things like this already exist for printers. might just work??

labelwhore
    Participant

Alternatively, you could make controllers 3 and 4 (ports 2 and 3) the default controllers for specific emulators via retroarch.cfg for those emulators.

^^ there’s more than one way to skin a cat. :P

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=117175]i think this sort of thing would only be solved by retroarch/libretro itself. you should ask on the forums but it looks like people have already asked and it’s a no: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5041

you could also log it as a request on their github: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues

i think you could actually use a physical switch if you were so inclined. you’d need something that switches from one USB device to another, entirely breaking the circuit. i think things like this already exist for printers. might just work??

[/quote]
    You’d still need to stop the drivers and start the correct ones. I think my proposed solution via the gpio is probably the best option. Although, you’d probably be able to do all of that without rebooting, it would just require more code.

dankcushions
    Participant

why would you need to stop drivers? a USB switcher would physically switch the connection from usb device 1 to usb device 2. retroarch is fine with hotswapping USB devices, if you have them configured – i do it all the time in games. no coding required. it’s all the same UDEV driver if you’re running usb controllers.

labelwhore
    Participant

Well, nevermind then. :) I didn’t think hotswapping was supported.

thorstenh
    Participant

Few days ago, I tested RecalBox. Recalbox also uses Emulationstation and there was an easy function to select the order of the Controllers. It was all in the GUI, I could select which controller is player1, player2 and so on. Isn’t there a way to implement that in Retropie?
    In my scenario I installed my Pi in an old SNES Case and I connected the original SNES Controller ports via Controlblock. The only problem is, that these controllers are always shown as connected, even if they aren’t plugged in. I have also 2 PS3 controllers that I want to use for N64 and PSX Games (or even for NES/SNES Games when I’m too lazy to plug the SNES Controllers in), but the SNES Controllers are always Player 1 and 2 and I’m just looking for an easy way to select the priority manually.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.