Viewing 20 posts - 36 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Participant

http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware#Power_Supply_Problems

That guide says it should be 700ma, but that’s wrong. For this project you NEED a 2 amp power supply, nothing less.

This is what I’m using:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/441187/Micro-USB_Power_Supply_for_Raspberry_Pi_B_with_Built-in_4ft_Cable_-_2_Amp

This one looks identical, but would probably cause issues:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/441186/Micro-USB_Power_Supply_for_Raspberry_Pi_with_Built-in_4ft_Cable_-_12_Amp

davidemol
    Participant

[quote=114436]Firstly, exit 0 should be the very last line in rc.local, if it’s missing, add it.

The next thing I see that’s wrong is that you need either this:

xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
    sleep 1
    xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 1 --led 3 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
    sleep 1
    xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 2 --led 4 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
    sleep 1
    xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 3 --led 5 --deadzone 4000 --silent &

You may also need to add a line that says rmmod xpad before either of those lines.

[/quote]

I solved with above script!

Thanks a lot my friend!

labelwhore
    Participant

Glad to hear it! :)

catrinisin
    Participant

My issue with the xbox controller is also solved thanks to this great community. Thanks everyone!

My only issue left is trying to figure out how to get it to work with the new default mupen64plus emulator which doesn’t use Retroarch. (Retropie 3.3)

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=114514]My issue with the xbox controller is also solved thanks to this great community. Thanks everyone!

My only issue left is trying to figure out how to get it to work with the new default mupen64plus emulator which doesn’t use Retroarch. (Retropie 3.3)

[/quote]
    I haven’t played with that particular emulator, but if you’re having control issues, take a look at the xboxdrv documentation. There are some really handy features for the controller. (IMO the xbox 360 controller is hands down the best controller for the pi.) In particular, look into creating some extra config files and the --next-config option. The default behaviour of the xbox button is to change controller modes. I use this to be able to control atari 5200, 800, and ST, as well as c64 and Amiga. If you want more details I can provide some of my controller config files, and what you need to modify in rc.local to get that working.

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/xboxdrv.html

catrinisin
    Participant

[quote=114523]
    I haven’t played with that particular emulator, but if you’re having control issues, take a look at the xboxdrv documentation. There are some really handy features for the controller. (IMO the xbox 360 controller is hands down the best controller for the pi.) In particular, look into creating some extra config files and the --next-config option. The default behaviour of the xbox button is to change controller modes. I use this to be able to control atari 5200, 800, and ST, as well as c64 and Amiga. If you want more details I can provide some of my controller config files, and what you need to modify in rc.local to get that working.

[/quote]

Oh wow, yes please do share those configs, thanks! I agree that this is the controller I want to use for pi. I’ll start looking at the documentation also.

labelwhore
    Participant

Ok, I’m at work at the moment, so it’ll have to be later tonight, but I’ll post them for you then.

Basically there are 3 files, one for a mouse config for the pc type systems, then one for player 1 and one for player 2 that emulate keystrokes. I have it set up so that only the player 1 controller can use the mouse config.

…as a matter of fact, I think I’m gonna update the wiki with my controller configs. I’ve been using them for quite a while now, and they work pretty well.

catrinisin
    Participant

Sweet, thanks man!

labelwhore
    Participant

Ok, so here’s what you need to do for the additional controller configs. I may make several updates to this post, so just be aware of that.

First, copy the attached files to your pi. (Remove the .txt extension first of course.) I placed them in /usr/local/ but they could go anywhere. The two attached to this post are for player 1 and player 2 for atari 800 and vice. One more is coming in the next post which is for mouse emulation.

Next, you need to edit rc.local so that xboxdrv uses the config files.

If you have this line:

xboxdrv -D i 0 --next-controller -i 1 --next-controller -i 2 --next-controller -i 3 --deadzone 4000 --dbus disabled &

change it to this:

xboxdrv -D i 0 --alt-config /usr/local/xboxdrv_player1.cfg --alt-config /usr/local/mouse.cfg --next-controller -i 1 --alt-config /usr/local/xboxdrv_player2.cfg --next-controller -i 2 --next-controller -i 3 --deadzone 4000 --dbus disabled &

if you have this line generated by the xboxdrv install from retropie_setup.sh

"/opt/retropie/supplementary/xboxdrv/bin/xboxdrv" --daemon --detach --wid 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent --trigger-as-button ---next-controller --wid 1 --led 3 --deadzone 4000 --silent --trigger-as-button --dbus disabled --detach-kernel-driver

change it to this

"/opt/retropie/supplementary/xboxdrv/bin/xboxdrv" --daemon --detach --wid 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent --trigger-as-button --alt-config /usr/local/xboxdrv_player1.cfg --alt-config /usr/local/mouse.cfg --next-controller --wid 1 --led 3 --deadzone 4000 --silent --trigger-as-button --alt-config /usr/local/xboxdrv_player2.cfg --dbus disabled --detach-kernel-driver

or if you are using seperate lines like this:

xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
    sleep 1
    xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 1 --led 3 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
    sleep 1
    sleep 1

change them so they look lie this:

xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 0 --led 2 --alt-config /usr/local/xboxdrv_player1.cfg --alt-config /usr/local/mouse.cfg --deadzone 4000 --silent &
     sleep 1
     xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --wid 1 --led 3  --alt-config /usr/local/xboxdrv_player1.cfg --deadzone 4000 --silent &
     sleep 1
     sleep 1

The very last step is to make the .cfg files executable.

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/xboxdrv_player1.cfg
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/xboxdrv_player2.cfg
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/mouse.cfg

Reboot.

Now, whenever you hit the xbox button on either controller 1 or 2, it will change the control scheme. For player 1, the controller starts up in normal mode. Hitting the xbox button will change to player1.cfg. Hitting it again will enable mouse emulation. One more time will bring back normal operation. Player 2 cycles between normal operation and player1.cfg. Controllers 3 and 4 are unaffected.

Here’s a little explanation of xboxdrv_player1.cfg. player2 is similar:

Hopefully this looks ok…

Interface    | Mapped to   | Atari 800/5200 |    Commodore   |
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Right Analog | Arrow Keys  | Menu Nav       | Menu Nav        
    Left Analog  | Mouse       | Movement       |                 
    D-Pad        | Joystick    |                | Joystick port 2 
    A Button     | Right Ctrl  |                | Fire            
    B Button     | Num Pad 0   | Fire           | Fire            
    X Button     | Enter       |                | Return          
    Y Button     | Space       | Space          | Space           
    L1 Button    | F4          | Start Game     |                 
    R1 Button    | F7          |                |                 
    L2 Button    | PAGEUP      |                |                 
    R2 Button    | CAPSLOCK    |                | Start Game      
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Start        | F1          | Menu           | Menu            
    Back         | Esc         | Esc            | Esc  
    labelwhore
    Participant

the mouse emulation .cfg file is attached

labelwhore
    Participant
    catrinisin
    Participant

This is really cool, I love the different options you can do. How did you learn the syntax for the alt-config files? Is that in the documentation somewhere?

labelwhore
    Participant

It’s all in the manual. It took me tons of trial an error to get these right lol. I’m not a developer, but I do test crap for a living.

As you can see xboxdrv is extremely flexible. It is possible to create scripts that restart xboxdrv with the correct .cfg file so that you could avoid having to use the xbox button at all, which is what the init.d start up method is good for. But I’ve never been able to get that to work correctly.

I think maybe because of the way xboxdrv handles the remapping of keys, this doesn’t work for every emulator. For example, the remapped escape key does not work in standalone PPSSPP to bring up the emulator menu. I still have to use my keyboard for that. It’s certainly a start towards a keyboardless setup though.

catrinisin
    Participant

Thanks, I really appreciate all the info and I’m sure others will too.

In my case the unit I’m doing this with is a bartop arcade I built:

I’m using an ipac controller that has a shift key option that allows me to have many different keyboard buttons available so it isn’t the end of the world if I have to reach over to the arcade controls to perform an action like bringing up a menu, etc.
    I’m using the xbox controllers personally for every emulator but my kids use the arcade controls mostly. Originally I needed a controller for emulators like n64, psx, etc. but I love that I’m now going to be able to use it for all the older systems as well. I had no idea it could emulate a mouse!

johnhansen
    Participant

I still have problem, xbox 360 wireless controller works fine in menus i can start all games
    but when entering games it dont work.

Any way to fix it?

catrinisin
    Participant

The answers are in this thread. Read up

johnhansen
    Participant

It dont work.
    Seems it is retroarch not working with xbox360
    i go in the green configure retroarch
    settings input
    input user 2
    then it sees xbox gamepad in there

and every time i load a game it says box controller on port 2
    so it is like the xbox driver is loaded and it works in menus
    in the user 2 device type i have retropad
    ananlog to digital none
    device index xbox gamepad

so what i need for it to work in games?

catrinisin
    Participant

Did you actually go through and map each button in the green retroarch menu? Also make sure it is set to save settings on exit. Watch the video above for a complete how to.

johnhansen
    Participant

yes when i do the mapping and it ask type on the 360 crontroller nothing happens.
    so it is like when i am in the green part the xbox controller can not be recognized the clicks.

In the main menu where i choose gameboy, snes etc it works fine.

in the green menu my other usb cable controller works fine

catrinisin
    Participant

No i mean map energy button, select the option called “bind all” under the player number you want

Viewing 20 posts - 36 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.