Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project USB rom service working in latest version?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I have just installed 3.4 from scratch and inserted my usb stick with all my roms on. Nothing happened. I usually see the light on my usb stick flickering for ages.

Is the usb rom service working in this version?

I when into configuration and enabled it, rebooted, still no luck.

Has the folder structure changed?

Regards

petrockblog
    Keymaster

what is your current folder structure ? do you have everything in a retropie folder ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes. I have a retropie folder with a roms folder. I am going to try blanking the usb stick, creating a retropie folder and let it build the structure just in case it has changed.

Will report back.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Got the folder structure built onto the usb stick. Copied Neo Geo roms on to it.

It copied 40 of them and stopped at ‘F’ for ages.

I rebooted the Pi and after about an hour it is up to 74 games (I have 268 roms).

Either it is stopping after a while or it is very slow.

labelwhore
    Participant

My guess is it’s just super slow. Some of my roms are on a USB HDD attached to my pi. That HDD is formatted in such a way that windows can’t see it. Since all my PCs are windows machines, I have to transfer roms to the HDD via SSH to the pi. The USB transfer speed is snail-like. lol

I’ve spent many hours on google looking for a way to speed it up, but nothing has worked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The strange this is that it wasn’t slow in 3.3. The light on the USB stick flickered like mad.

It does seem to be doing it, just very very slowly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just discovered that trying to load any of the neo geo roms fails. The screen goes black and then goes back to emulation station. Even if I change the emulator it fails.

I think I might have to go back to 3.3 and wait for an update.

labelwhore
    Participant

If you find that 3.3 is super slow also, then find a fix. Please report back. I’ve had the issue I mentioned since 2.4 or so.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to confirm. I went back to 3.3 and it is all working fine. Roms are copying on much much quicker and the neo geo emulator is working correctly.

Next time I will wait a while before upgrading.

lomiccw1
    Participant

It’s hit or miss for me. It loaded ~1,110 roms in less then an hour, but that is only 50% of the library on my USB. Now it has spent +14 hours and it has transferred less than 10 roms. I’ve rebooted and it doesn’t help. I agree; it gets hung for some reason. the slow rom transfer isn’t a function of it moving bigger files, and I still have plenty of free space on the sd card… I think it is a bug. I might report the issue on the GetHub page if others have noticed this too. Godspeed and happy gaming.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It is nothing to do with retropie itself but perhaps an issue with the underlying OS (Raspbian). Might be worth rolling back the RPI kernel to see if it is a kernel related problem (and things like trying the old sdcard driver – dtoverlay=mmc to /boot/config.txt)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have had a similar problem with 3.4

It worked fine with just a small handful of tiny NES/SNES/Genesis roms, but when I tried large PSX isos it failed every time. The USB stick would blink for less than a minute or so and then transfer would stop.

I disabled the USB rom service using the setup script and just manually copied them over from the USB stick using terminal commands and the transfer speed was normal.

dccelly
    Participant

Same here. Its broken in 3.4.

Loaded up a thumb drive with a bunch of roms and went shopping for an hour and about 19 games transfered. All the virtualboy roms. Yay! SSH or terminal until it get resolved.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.