Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project USB Controller not working with RetroArch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hoolean
    Participant

Hello y’all,

I’ve been trying to get RetroPie setup properly for a while now and it is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Firstly, I spent a while on a version (1.x or so), in which I could configure the USB controller for the menu successfully but had no luck with RetroArch; my config appeared to be ignored, it still used the keyboard.

When I updated to the latest version (the one that is live now), I was pleased with many of the improvements. Unfortunately, the controller still does not work with RetroArch despite functioning fully and working with the main menu.

It is a PS2 (NOT a PS3) controller with a USB adapter but works in the exact same format as an USB joypad and I am incredibly confused as to why I need to go to such lengths to get it working with RetroArch.

So, my questions to you smart people:

– What file do I need to edit to get my controller working, now that many files have been moved to /opt?
    – What should be in this file for an ordinary USB joypad?

Also, please may I ask you to not just link me to a tutorial, as I have tried many and they all seem to be outdated or futile.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

In terminal type:

ls /dev/input/

Note the device number your pad is assigned (should be js0)

Then run:

sudo chown pi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j * >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

(replace * with device number of pad)

Follow prompts and you should be good to go

hoolean
    Participant

Thank you so much, I seriously owe you one. That has saved me so much time and effort <3

trimmtrabb
    Participant

:-) Just to add, if you want to further modify retroarch.cfg:

nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

You can determine the buttons on your pad with:

jstest /dev/input/js* (replace * with device number as above)

If you assign a hotkey you can map other functions to buttons already assigned: (replace * with the buttons from jtest etc)

input_enable_hotkey_btn = “*”
    input_exit_emulator_btn = “*”
    input_save_state_btn = “*”
    input_load_state_btn = “*”
    input_state_slot_increase_btn = “*”
    input_state_slot_decrease_btn =”*”
    input_menu_toggle_btn = “*”

More info here: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/master/retroarch.cfg

hoolean
    Participant

Thanks! It’s useful to be able to exit the emulator without the keyboard :) Is it possible to make it so that you have to hold two buttons?

Two further questions I have also uncovered from this. Firstly, the Gameboy emulator does not show up on emulation station; only gameboy advance. How can I rectify this? Additionally, on the NES the buttons are weird – there appears to be no A/B button (I have tried all of them) – what my be causing this?

All help greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: nevermind, I’m stupid; both were silly mistakes that I have now resolved

Aardvarkm

I’m having a similar problem with NES. It’s registering the A button, but not the B. All other buttons work fine, and it’s only with the NES emulator (This is using a PS3 controller via USB). Please share your solution!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.