Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    g0nz0uk
    Participant

Hi,

I’m on version 3.3, can I still do the inplace update to upgrade to 3.4 (Jessie) via updating the setup script then running the binary update or do I have to download and install the new image and start from scratch as it’s moved from Wheezy to Jessie?

Thanks

labelwhore
    Participant

You have to start fresh, unfortunately.

kinopio
    Participant

Another question:

When i start a new installtion with 3.4 and using Win32DiskImager to overwrite my existing 3.3 installtion. Will this work or did i have to start with a new formated Card and all my roms are gone?

Copy them to the SD took hours….

Thanks you for helping me out.

My english is not perfect, but i hope you unterstand my question.

Greetz
    KINOPIO
    (GER)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

using win32diskimager will overwrite what is on the card. I keep a copy of my romss on the PC to save time, so you just need to backup configs

This is the easiest way to upgrade to jessie with retropie.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Is it worth the upgrade/hassle?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Wheezy will be unsupported in the future as far as binaries etc.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

If I upgrade can just copy over my roms and configs folders as my current 3.3 image has been customised quite a bit?

trixster
    Participant

[quote=115594]You have to start fresh, unfortunately.

[/quote]

No you dont. It’s possible to upgrade from wheezy to Jessie first and then update to retropie 3.4. There’s a thread on the raspberrypi forums which tells you what to do. It’s not a simple procedure but it does work. I know this because I’ve done it on a couple of installs with no issues.

Check this thread:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=121880

herbfargus

In other words its simpler to start with a fresh image as it has less room for issues.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Agree, still OK to copy the configs folder over the top as I’ve spent make hours changing all that on my 3.3 image?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

should be fine yes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.