Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve been searching the internet and can’t seem to find any info on this.. How would I go about updating the version of Kodi that is installed on my RetroPie? It’s got 14.2 right now, and 15 was released two weeks ago. The new version uses a different database for the library information (as every major version updated does), and I’ve updated all of the rest of my house to 15, but I can’t figure this one out.. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kadagan

herbfargus
    #!/usr/bin/env bash

# This file is part of RetroPie.
    # 
    # (c) Copyright 2012-2015  Florian Müller (contact@petrockblock.com)
    # 
    # See the LICENSE.md file at the top-level directory of this distribution and 
    # at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/master/LICENSE.md
    #

# http://www.gtkdb.de/index_36_2176.html
    rp_module_id="kodi-15"
    rp_module_desc="Install Kodi 15 (Must install the other Kodi first!)"
    rp_module_menus="4+"
    rp_module_flags="nobin"

function depends_kodi-15() {
        apt-get remove -y kodi kodi.bin
    }

function sources_kodi-15() {
     wget -O- -q http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.tar.gz | tar -xvz
     cd kodi-15
     ./install
    }

function configure_kodi-15() {
        echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="input", GROUP="input", MODE="0660"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules

mkRomDir "ports"
        cat > "$romdir/ports/Kodi.sh" << _EOF_
    #!/bin/bash
    startkodi
    _EOF_

chmod +x "$romdir/ports/Kodi.sh"

setESSystem 'Ports' 'ports' '~/RetroPie/roms/ports' '.sh .SH' '%ROM%' 'pc' 'ports'
    }

Save it as kodi15.sh and place it in /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/ports/

Then open up your setup script and install it from the experimental menu.

An official release is still pending on the raspbian repo being updated.

kadagan
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks!!

kadagan
    Participant

@herbfargus One more slightly related question.. It seems that when I exit Kodi (on the old version, or on the new), my Xbox 360 wireless controller mapping gets messed up until reboot.. I can no longer navigate the EmulationStation menus correctly.. I need to ssh in and reboot, then everything works fine. I’m running on a rpi2, if that matters. Any ideas? Thanks!

herbfargus

I’m not sure as I don’t have an xbox360 controller,- I’m hoping once we’re able to get the official kodi 15 repo added to the source that we can compile it with cec and joystick support so people don’t run into these issues and can utilise their gamepads with kodi’s joypad configs.

epe9686518
    Participant

When you launch Kodi, depending on how you installed it, and what you have edited for the controller to work, it should load a verison of the Xbox Driver that makes the wireless controller act as a mouse and keyboard….So you can navigate through kodi. You also need to set it to unload that driver when you exit kodi and reload your normal Xbox Driver that you use for emulation station. This is what I had to do with my system to be able to seemlessly load and unload Kodi with the wireless Xbox 360 controller from ES. What it sounds like is happening is when you exit Kodi, its keeping the same Xbox drivers that it uses for Kodi navigation in emulationstation, which is why your controller mapping is off.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for posting the script. I was having trouble with an OSMC installation talking to Kodi on RetroPie via UPNP. Upgrading fixed it.

retrofan
    Participant

I dont like too much the new Kodi because he is more hardware-demanding than version 14.2.
    Even with the RPI2 I experienced slowdowns in the menus, and it seems that his the more power consuminig.

I didnt notice significant improvements in any area, that would be worth the effort.
    Helix version runs smoothly and stable, without any overclocking, and I will continue to use it.

pevasos123
    Participant

[quote=103300]

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# This file is part of RetroPie.
    # 
    # (c) Copyright 2012-2015  Florian Müller (contact@petrockblock.com)
    # 
    # See the LICENSE.md file at the top-level directory of this distribution and 
    # at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/master/LICENSE.md
    #

# http://www.gtkdb.de/index_36_2176.html
    rp_module_id="kodi-15"
    rp_module_desc="Install Kodi 15 (Must install the other Kodi first!)"
    rp_module_menus="4+"
    rp_module_flags="nobin"

function depends_kodi-15() {
        apt-get remove -y kodi kodi.bin
    }

function sources_kodi-15() {
     wget -O- -q http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/kodi-15.tar.gz | tar -xvz
     cd kodi-15
     ./install
    }

function configure_kodi-15() {
        echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="input", GROUP="input", MODE="0660"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules

mkRomDir "ports"
        cat > "$romdir/ports/Kodi.sh" << _EOF_
    #!/bin/bash
    startkodi
    _EOF_

chmod +x "$romdir/ports/Kodi.sh"

setESSystem 'Ports' 'ports' '~/RetroPie/roms/ports' '.sh .SH' '%ROM%' 'pc' 'ports'
    }

Save it as kodi15.sh and place it in /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/ports/

Then open up your setup script and install it from the experimental menu.

An official release is still pending on the raspbian repo being updated.

[/quote]

Where Do i find this folder? How can i access it?

herbfargus

You create the file manually with nano or winscp. Or you can add unstable after contrib in /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/ports/kodi.sh instead of creating a new kodi.sh file

undreamed
    Participant

I tryd the update script but now my kodi wont start =/

the start crashes with “illegal instruction”

i installed kodi 14… and then i use your script =(

my crashlog: http://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?763433

i hope any1 can help me

pirookiedd
    Participant

I created the kodi15.sh and I can see it in the experimental install menu but when I run it, nothing seems to happen (a quick flash at the bottom of the screen, too quick to read anything). I then launched kodi via emulation station and its still 14.2. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

herbfargus
    g0nz0uk
    Participant

Wow you’ve added this to the the experimental menu, I need to try this. Hopefully you will get the official repo.

labelwhore
    Participant

The latest version of Kodi for Raspbian Wheezey is 14.2, I believe. I think you need Jessie for 15. However, I can confirm that it works flawlessly in Retropie 3.3 Jessie. (That’s the reason I started fresh recently with 3.3) The retropie script will install Kodi 14.2, then you need to upgrade to 15 once it’s installed.

So install Kodi from the experimental menu, then run these:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.