Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie The old story… setting up 2x 8BitDo NES30 Bluetooth

Viewing 22 posts - 36 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I could configure my NES controller with a 3.0 final version using PiAssit script.
    [url]https://github.com/Death259/PiAssist[/url]

This scripts help to install bluetooth necessary packages, search controllers and connect.

I start controller with “Start+R” mode and connect very well with this script and the most important thing, controller autoconnect when pi is rebooted, only i turn on controller (“Start+R”) when RetroPie splashcreena appears, controller autoconnect and when EmulationStation start the controller is conected.

I only have one controller but i think would be the same with two controllers.

thak
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve tried your tuto 2 times and each time my controller doesn’t connect.
    They registred correctly but, when i reboot no connection between the pi and nes30, the bluelight still flashing.
    Did you do something else that you forget to mention maybe?

I’m running retropie 3.0 on PiB

Thx in advance for your help

Floob
    thak
    Participant

Is it possible to connect 2 controller with your method? If yes how do we connect the second controller?

Floob

If its the same controller, repeating steps 3 and 4 should do it.

thak
    Participant

Okay so i do everything as said in the wiki on a fresh install and VOILA :)
    Thx!
    But the lr-fceumm doesn’t seem to work correctly (so i used lr-nestopia and this one is ok)
    And lr-fba is way too slow, does your config would work with PiFBA ?
    I try to change the joystic config in fba2x.cfg to match with retroarch.cfg but no luck

Anyway everything else work and that’s really great!

Anonymous
    Inactive

To the original poster, did you ever get this to work? I just got my 8bitdo SNES30 controller set up last night. I used the guide found at https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-a-Bluetooth-controller.

I had the controller connect via bluetooth within about 20 minutes. That was the easy part. The trouble that I had was that the buttons seem to be different for controlling emulationstation (selecting games and systems) than for controlling the actual games.

The trick I found was that the config for emulationstation is found at /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg and uses the button numbers you got from step 5 of the guide. For whatever reason, I was unable to program the d-pad directions, but they just worked already. The config for actual games is found in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads and is created in step 6. Don’t try to use the same button numbers in the two config files or it won’t work.

I am still having trouble trying to get the shoulder buttons to work as hotkeys for loading/saving save states, but otherwise it works great. Hopefully this helps.

thak
    Participant

So no hint on how make PiFBA work woth this controller?
    With snes/Genesis/pc engine, FBA is really something :)
    I don’t necesserly need an easy solution, but at least à way to find one

I’ve tried jtest (or something like that) in order to know the input but in PiFBA fba2x.cfg none works…

thak
    Participant

Hi!

Can we pair 2 differents 8bitdo contrller?
    Like, in my case, a nes30 and a nes30pro ?
    The nes30 is already working fine, i just need to add the nes30pro!

Thanks in advance !

Floob

Should be fine, its largely a case of just adding the second one in the same way.
    See this thread for another example:

8Bitdo Bluetooth Controller Guide (Retropie v3)

thak
    Participant

Ok, So it works :)
    But… Afyer pairing the 2nd controller and ditectly import the right cfg file from github (your wiki link),because the D-pad don’t have the same input, in retroarch.cfg we need to be sûre which gamepad will be p1 and/or p2 in order to change/adapt the D-pad input correctly !

I hope my thought was clear ^^

Floob

If they are different controllers they should have different filenames in the directory
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

claytonbeaubien
    Participant

This saved my life. Everything is working perfect. I can let controllers go idle and recconect. I dont have to run a shell script to get the second controller working. I am using 2 8bitdo SNES30 controllers. RetroPie v3.2.1

followed this first:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-a-Bluetooth-controller

made sure to do STEP 3:

got my two controllers connecting seperately, but not at the same time until i did this:

The following will keep bluetooth on to keep scanning for the controllers.
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local
    add “sudo hciconfig hci0 up piscan” (without the quotes)
    above the line that says “exit 0”
    ctrl x
    y
    enter
    sudo reboot

wait till emulation station loads, and connect away

WOOO!

Hope this helps others too

pureaddict
    Participant

Hi All!

I’m 99% there, I hope somebody can help me get over the line….

2 X 8bitdo SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

They are both trusted bluetooth devices, auto connect works, both MAC addresses registered to pi for reconnect etc… thats all great!

I registered 1 initially, got it working in joystick mode with retropie, when I had paired the second, (also in Joystick Mode) i started emulationstation – Input Configurator says – 2 Gamepads Detected – awesome.

However when I pick up what i thought was Gamepad2 to register the inputs, RetroPie told me I was configuring Gamepad1 – I stopped @ this point because I didnt want to overwrite the config for, the perfectly working, Gamepad1.

How can I get RetroPie to recognise the 2nd Gamepad regstered to the system as GamePad2?

Will the configurator ask me to configure Gamepad2 after I re-configure Gamepad1?

I’m so close to everything working, I dont want to take a bad step now, does anybody have anything close to a solution?

Thanks.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

If they are identical, just configure one, and the config will be used for both in retroarch. If they are different configure them both.

pureaddict
    Participant

Hey thanks, I was 100% of the way there in fact, I guess I couldn’t believe finally they were working. Both are connected successfully.

I will leave a bit of info here for others that might be useful about 8bitdo SFC30:

When I was using hcitool scan to look for the controllers, I scanned for the controller numerous times pressing Start with a different key each time to see what the differences were between the MAC addresses in each mode.

THERE IS A MODE THAT IS NOT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS – START + RIGHT SHOULDER

This was the only mode that hcitool returned that it had found a “Joystick” type device. When I connected this way, I didn’t have to do any crazy half keyboard half controller business, it just worked instantly. Starting the Player2 controller in the exact same way (START + RIGHT SHOULDER) when you pair it, gives you 2 Player RetroPie Bluetooth Happiness.

ramirezjd1313
    Participant

I am really stuggling with this… is there an updated final tutorial? Every tutorial that I have found hits a road block that isn’t covered. For instanced I followed this one: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-a-Bluetooth-controller and once I get to the part where it says to edit the sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules file. It just creates a new file and there is no current file to edit. I did a fresh install of retropie 3.5 and followed the directions to a T. I was able to get the controllered connected on my own, but since I’m not sure what all I’m exactly supposed to be doing, I don’t know if what I’m doing is correct. I get a solid blue light on my NES30 pro but it doesn’t recognize any button presses when I try to configure the inputs… please help.

Thanks.

ramirezjd1313
    Participant

Also when I get to teh part where it says to use sudo nano /usr/bin/bluez-simple-agent it also has no file to edit.

hobbswon
    Participant

You are supposed to create the 10-local.rules file. That’s correct. There is no file in the udev/rules.d folder by default.

ES will not recognize the input until you create that file

Floob

Yes, as per the comment by hobbswon.
    Also, make sure you follow the wiki guide for Jessie (as you are using RetroPie 3.5), not for Wheezy.

spicer
    Participant

I manage to connect but did not realized at first that I have to maintain start + R everytime I connect my NES30. I confirm that start + R is the only working method for pairing

rion
    Participant

http://forum.8bitdo.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=588&extra=page%3D1&page=1&mobile=2

New beta firmware for Nes30/sfc30/snes30 and Nes30 Pro that should fix the problem connecting the controller in Mode 1.

Viewing 22 posts - 36 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.