Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Some things I've learn't and a question about the Main Menu

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    snipperdag
    Participant

Good afternoon,

After much playing over the past month on 3.3.1 I’ve realised there is an update and had to revise the hacks list I made myself… so I thought I’d share it and ask a hopefully simple question!

Pi Model: 1 Model B
    RetroPie Version Used: 3.5
    Built From: SD Image
    USB Devices connected: N/A
    Controller used: Keyboard/360 Controller (official)

The above is used to configure the SD card before placing into my Pi Zero, the lack of a LAN port is killing me. There are however no issues swapping between the two!

My Initial Setup

1) Write the retropie-3.5-rpi1.img to the SD card using Win32 Disk Imager
    2) Go into RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup and ‘Update Retro-Pie Setup’, then Reboot
    3) Place into the Pi and boot for the first time
    4) Setup keyboard as an input device, don’t plug in the 360 controller yet
    5) Shutdown the Pi and place the SD card back in my PC, enable ‘hdmi_drive=2’ in config.txt (or I don’t get sound on my TV)
    6) Boot back up and shell out (F4), disable the existing Xpad drivers –
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf
    Add ‘blacklist xpad’ to the bottom of the blacklist, save and exit (F3 then ctrl+x)
    7) Either ‘exit’ or ‘sudo reboot’
    8) Go into RetroPie-Setup and install the Xbox 360 drivers, reboot
    9) Plug in the 360 controller and ‘Configure Input’ from the main menu, it should now use the right driver!

Random Hacks… these are done once I am happy with the system, to keep sticky fingers out

Remove ‘Press a key to configure emulator’ prompt
    sudo nano /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
    Search for IFS= and replace the number 2 after -t with a 0
    (this removes the option for someone to mess with your emulator settings although with the new runcomamnd.sh options you may want to leave it in and just disable joystick input)

Hiding ‘RetroPie’ from the list of emulators in EmulationStation
    sudo nano /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
    Add <!– to the start of ‘RetroPie’
    and –> to the end

Adding ‘analogue’ support to the emulators (there are much better hacks!)
    Using ftp to access \\retropie
    Edit configs/all/retroarch.cfg to include the following –
    input_player1_analog_dpad_mode = “1”
    input_player2_analog_dpad_mode = “1”
    input_player3_analog_dpad_mode = “1”
    input_player4_analog_dpad_mode = “1”
    input_player5_analog_dpad_mode = “1”
    input_player6_analog_dpad_mode = “1”
    input_player7_analog_dpad_mode = “1”
    input_player8_analog_dpad_mode = “1”

To prevent it interfering with PSX and N64 analogue functions edit their separate retroarch.cfgs and add –
    input_player1_analog_dpad_mode = “0”
    input_player2_analog_dpad_mode = “0”
    input_player3_analog_dpad_mode = “0”
    input_player4_analog_dpad_mode = “0”
    input_player5_analog_dpad_mode = “0”
    input_player6_analog_dpad_mode = “0”
    input_player7_analog_dpad_mode = “0”
    input_player8_analog_dpad_mode = “0”

Possible fix for audio lag stutter –
    Using ftp to access \\retropie
    Edit configs/all/retroarch.cfg to include the following
    audio_out_rate = 44100 (this will already be in there as 48000, uncomment and change)
    audio_driver = sdl (this will already be in there but blank, uncomment and change)

My question

Now that I’ve bored everyone.. but hopefully put some stuff in one place! Here goes.

On the Main Menu is the option for ‘Configure Input’, I would like to remove it so that I can leave the emulator in the hands of children and they won’t mess the joysticks up to the point I can’t remap them. I tried setting a read-only es_input.cfg but it didn’t work.

If I can remove the configure input menu option there isn’t anywhere they can go (if you don’t count the RetroArch shortcut in game). The rest of the menu can stay otherwise I can’t reach the Shutdown/Restart options. :)

Thanks for any advice.

Lee

zigurana
    Participant

Hi!
    Thanks for sharing your way of working.
    It seems to me that part if what you are trying to do (i.e. Child-proofing the system) is also possible via my custom build version of EmulationStation. Have a look here: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/kid-friendly-retropiees-ui-modes-favorites-hiding-items-s-testers-wanted/

Combined with the latest improvements for the runcommand script in v 3.5, it will allow you to pretty much lock down your configuration.

buffering
    Participant

Hi,

on 3.6 and pi3 the hacks for enabling the analog sticks for the ps3 controller don’t appear to work. testing using mame-libretro.
    Any ideas?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.