Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Scanlines overlays and configs for a softer look

• This topic has 90 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Floob.
Viewing 21 posts - 71 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    luigi-freguglia
    Participant

Hello, I have a working MAME station based on Retropie3 using MAME4All:
    i’m not satisfied with the look of included scanline option, maybe these great scanlines work there too?
    Best wishes

Floob

The issue with arcade games is the wide range of resolutions, so a border is tricky unless you do something like this

[GUIDE] Overlays & Arcade Bezels in RetroArch

or you just put an image with scanlines on that doesnt have a border. Thats what I tend to do.

luigi-freguglia
    Participant

Having an overlay per game/set of games it’s not a viable option
    so a simple image only with scanlines it’s the right way as you say.
    Are all concepts appliable in the same way?

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=99272]This should do it automatically for you if that helps:
    https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager

[/quote]

Does it also overwrite the Retroarch.cfg file or is it just the emulator specific cfg’s?

Floob

@baxtex – Just the emulator specific ones, not the main retroarch.cfg. It will also overwrite your retroarch-core-options.cfg and videomodes.cfg depending on your selections.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=113703]@baxtex – Just the emulator specific ones, not the main retroarch.cfg. It will also overwrite your retroarch-core-options.cfg and videomodes.cfg depending on your selections.

[/quote]

Great, will try it out! Also is it possible to just add the CRT tv border without any scanlines?

coderkind
    Participant

@floob is it possible that emulation performance is improved if you alter output settings to natural 240p settings with a lot of retro games and then let a Framemeister upscale things?

I’ve noticed some slowdown playing NeoGeo games in particular. If you output from the Pi at lower resolutions then this might improve performance? I haven’t a Framemeister to test this.

dankcushions
    Participant

i wouldn’t have thought 2d emulators are ever GPU bound unless you’re running shaders at high resolutions, so the resolution shouldn’t matter i think.

neogeo should run fine on a pi2. at least, it does for me on lr-mame2003.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

hi Floob, how can i find the current version number of your Video Manager
    thanks

just found it here.

https://github.com/biscuits99/rp-video-manager/releases

coderkind
    Participant

@dankcushions that might be the case for NeoGeo, but PS1 and Dreamcast for example (more intensive emulation tasks)?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

is there anyway to apply scanlines via an overlay to the other systems, that do not get changed automatically, when selecting one of the presets in the Video Manager Tool?

or would i have to manually edit and use shaders?

thanks

Floob

Yes, you can do any of the Retroarch based ones.
    You can put this in the system based retroarch file – although it only applies the overlay – I’d need to know which system to change aspect ratio etc..

input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3/Scanlines_4x_1080p_Borderless.cfg
    input_overlay_enable = true
    input_overlay_opacity = 1.000000
    input_overlay_scale = "1.000000"
    dankcushions
    Participant

[quote=113878] @dankcushions that might be the case for NeoGeo, but PS1 and Dreamcast for example (more intensive emulation tasks)?
    [/quote]dreamcast maybe, but neogeo and PS1 are definitely CPU bound. they both have un-accelerated renderers as far as i know.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

ok, i have some questions… please bear in mind my knowledge is very limited with shaders & overlays..

Is there a way of setting a scalene overlay, so that ALL emulators are covered?

as i’d like them on Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, Oric & Sam Coupe.

is there no way of using one of the 720p (my tv is that res) setting it to full screen some how, so as theres no need to set each systems resolution?

[quote=113932]Yes, you can do any of the Retroarch based ones.
    You can put this in the system based retroarch file – although it only applies the overlay – I’d need to know which system to change aspect ratio etc..

input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3/Scanlines_4x_1080p_Borderless.cfg
    input_overlay_enable = true
    input_overlay_opacity = 1.000000
    input_overlay_scale = "1.000000"

[/quote]

dankcushions
    Participant

an overlay image is only for a specific native resolution. you can get a full screen 720/1080p scanline overlay but because each core would usually have a different native resolution (that is scaled up to 720/1080p), the lines will be in the wrong place.

retroarch shaders ‘know’ the core’s native resolution so scanline shaders should always line up. however, sometimes at the cost of performance. check out @davej’s shader – https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/new-crt-pi-shader-version/

Floob

Yes, shaders can be great, I’ve rolled davejs into the video manager. Althogh I’ve only applied it there to systems that you would use a CRT with.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

yup, using that one at the moment, i just wondered about overlays, as i’ve not tried them yet, thank you for the replies

[quote=114372]an overlay image is only for a specific native resolution. you can get a full screen 720/1080p scanline overlay but because each core would usually have a different native resolution (that is scaled up to 720/1080p), the lines will be in the wrong place.

retroarch shaders ‘know’ the core’s native resolution so scanline shaders should always line up. however, sometimes at the cost of performance. check out @davej‘s shader – https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/new-crt-pi-shader-version/

[/quote]

Floob

[quote=109812]
    Quick question… why isn’t the atari 2600 overlay supported in the tool?
    [/quote]

I have linked in other users settings into the tool, so its just that no-one has applied one yet. But if you use the No TV border option and take a look at the retroarch.cfg it produces, you can apply that to the atari one. Or you can put a request/issue in on the github page for it and I’ll see what I can do:

jwh02017
    Participant

[quote=114668]

Quick question… why isn’t the atari 2600 overlay supported in the tool?

I have linked in other users settings into the tool, so its just that no-one has applied one yet. But if you use the No TV border option and take a look at the retroarch.cfg it produces, you can apply that to the atari one. Or you can put a request/issue in on the github page for it and I’ll see what I can do:

[/quote]

Ok thanks, I’ll take a look at it. It would be really awesome if the atari2600 had the same tv overlay and scan lines as the NES or Genesis.

frehley
    Participant

Thanks, this is exactly what Im looking for.
    Sadly the dropbox links seems to be broken. Can anyone reupload ’em?

Thanks!

Floob

You can get most of it deployed using this:

Viewing 21 posts - 71 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.