Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

Ive downloaded and now running the latest image on my Rasberry Pi 2. I’ve downloaded Final Fantasy IX but the sound is really “Choppy”. Is there anything I can do to improve this? Other than the sound the game seems to be running really well.

Roo
    Participant

Choppy sound is an indication the hardware can’t keep up with the emulator.

Have you run sudo raspi-config and set overclock to Pi2 setting?

Also in raspi-config, try giving the video more memory (the 1gb on the Pi2 is shared between system and video). Try 256, 384 or even 512 video and see if that helps.

Other than that, you’ll have to wait and hope for better optimized versions of RetroPie that improve performance.

danny197
    Participant

Yeah I overclocked to Pi2. Made no difference though. Thanks for the response, i’ll hold out hope. I love that game! :D

labelwhore
    Participant

I’ve heard that changing the audio sample rate from 44.1 khz to 22.05 helps. I’ve done this, but haven’t really noticed much of a difference when there is overall slowdown.

danny197
    Participant

I would like to try this, any chance you could tell me how to do it please. I’ve only had a pi for a week so still learning.

Roo
    Participant

you could also try a more aggressive overclock. I’d reccomend heat sinks if you’re going down that road.

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=87315]I would like to try this, any chance you could tell me how to do it please. I’ve only had a pi for a week so still learning.[/quote]

0, 8192, 11025, 16000, 22050, 29300, 32000, and 44100 should all be valid values, although some will work better than others. the default is 44100 (or 44.1 khz, the modern standard for any device working with digital audio.) The lower the number the crunchier the sound is going to be, but theoretically it will help performance.

I haven’t found out how to increase the audio buffer length, but that would be another thing that could help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.