Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Root password on Retropie 3 BETA 3

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ddehaan
    Participant

Hi everyone,

The default password for the user root doesn’t seem to work in RP3 BETA 3.

Does anyone know what the new password for user root is?

Kind regards,
    Dennis

petrockblog
    Keymaster

The password is disabled as with Raspbian – to avoid risks with people using root for everything. However you are welcome to enable it if you really need it – just login as the pi user and do sudo passwd root to set a password for the root user.

It is a lot safer to use the pi account and just use sudo when you need to however.

ddehaan
    Participant

Thanks buzz!

Sometimes it’s need to have root access. I have a back-up of all my altered files (incl. fstab for example). Some files need root access to be overwritten :)

Kind regards,
    Dennis de Haan

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You have root access anyway, via the pi user which can sudo to root when needed. See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/usage/root.md

I agree with them regarding safety too

You can also run a superuser shell by using sudo su. When running commands as a superuser there is nothing to protect against mistakes that could damage the system. It is like disabling the safety guards on a machine. It makes it easier to access the insides, but the risk of damage is far greater. It is recommended that you only run commands as the superuser when required and to exit a superuser shell when it is no longer needed.

labelwhore
    Participant

I personally like to have root access for editing files in windows. It’s so easy to just right click and edit files via filezilla, with the added bonus that I get to use my preferred editor. Assuming you back up often, it’s not really that big of a risk. If you back up every time, there’s really no risk at all.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You are of course welcome to have your system set up as you want. But the default was changed for the reasons above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.