Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is there something wrong with the current retropie image? I’ve watched countless videos (Mostly dated to a few months back ago), of people setting up the rpi using older images, and haven’t had any issues, and i’ve followed them word for word with how to do it, and my retropie image is giving nothing but problems:

Fresh install of the new image found on the download page:

As soon as it first boots up, F4 to exit to terminal:

sudo raspi-config (Expand filesystem and 256/256 split), reboot

As soon as it boots, F4 to exit to terminal:

sudo apt-get update

when done

sudo apt-get upgrade

(Wait for it to finish upgrading, about 20 minutes), reboot back to EmulationStation

F4 to exit:

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropiesetup_script.sh

Update Setup Script, boot back into Setup Script
    Update RetroPie Binaries (After about 20 minutes it finished), reboot Pi

F4 and go back into retropie setup script and install Xbox 360 controller drivers: Reboot system

Load up EmulationStation, bind keys to xbox 360 wired controller, can navigate through EmulationStation fine. Copy over a known working retroarch.cfg file to /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/ and replace existing one, reboot system just to be safe:

Can still navigate EmulationStation, but when I select an emulator, I get no response from the controller, at all, and since the keys are already bound to the controller, I can’t use my keyboard anymore to quit out of the emulator: Force restart

Also, whenever I try running Input Configuration from inside of EmulationStation, it locks up. All the videos ive seen show a white screen with an xbox 360 controller in the background, and text on the screen designating what button you want to set up. I don’t get this, the screen goes black and stays black until I force restart.

Also, when I try running Doom or Duke3d, it goes to a black screen and locks up until I forcefully restart the system. (From what I can see, and from the three videos I watched of somebody installing retropie and playing duke3d, there is nothing to install as it comes with retropie already), so I can’t figure out what is going on.

I have the 256mb version, running on a class 10 8gb kingston SDHC card, plugged into composite video out to my tv. I’ve tried three different memory cards of various brands classes and sizes, and each time was a fresh image install and download, and it’s still doing the exact same thing.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? It’s very frustrating, as I have another pi setup (512 mb), with raspbmc on it, and I have had literally no issues with the system at all and i’ve had it for nearly 2 years now.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

In retroarch.cfg try changing ‘input_player1_joypad_index’ from 0 to 1. I’m sure I read a post a while back where their wired 360 pad was assigned js1 instead of js0.

RetroMarine
    Participant

I can’t help you with the xbox controller settings, since is use a snes usb controller, but it can tell you that duke nukem and doom do not come ready to play…you have to find the doom .wad files online as well as the duke nukem duke3d.grp file. It sounds to me like your controller cfg file didn’t save right, I’ve had them delete to 0 bytes for no reason quite often…check it from SFTP to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ex0r
    Participant

hmm, you sure you have to download the .grp ? I watched a video yesterday actually if somebody going step by step with the install and went straight into duke 3d without any issues, using an sd card image downloaded from the site.

As far as the settings, I sftpd in to copy the file over, than restarted the pi, than when I noticed it didnt work, I copied it back to my local computer to see if it was empty and its not.

How easily do the usb controllers work? The 360 controller for now is just a temporary solution until i get my case built, than I will be switching to dedicated nes/snes and genesis usb controllers, just wasnt sure if they work out of the box, or require special drivers to operate.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

usb pads are plug and play generally. Did you try what I suggested above?

ex0r
    Participant

Not yet I havent as I just got back home but I will soon and will report the fi dings.

ex0r
    Participant

That was exactly the fix. Thank you!

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Ah good :-)

ex0r
    Participant

Hmm, do you know how to get player 2 to work? Its another xbox 360 controller. I went in and copied the button layout as player 1, and changed everything over to player 2, and changed the index to 2 for it, and theres no response in the emulator. The 2nd led on the 360 is illuminated, but it’s not working. (Also, I think the emulator has the controller backwards, as me and my wife are playing zombies at my neighbor on snes, and with the player one controller, when you press start to play, it accepts the right start not the left one (indicating second player)

any idea what the issue could be?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Hi, sounds like pad 2 is connected properly if the led is lit, try changing ‘input_player2_joypad_index’ to 0

ex0r
    Participant

WheneverPlayer 2 is plugged in player ones controller Doesnt always reapond to button pushes in the emulators and player 2 doesnt work at all

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Ok, run:

sudo apt-get install joystick

then

jstest /dev/input/js0

Do you get any output from pad 2?

ex0r
    Participant

trimmtrabb,

joystick is already installed, so I just ran the command, and it said ‘file not found’, which lead me to believe js0 was invalid. So, I ‘cd’ to /dev/input and found out that the pi is assigning the controllers js2 and js3, so I went into retroarch.cfg and changed the indexes to match, and low and behold, they both work!

Thanks for the tips in getting this setup!

trimmtrabb
    Participant

no probs, glad you got it sorted :-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.