Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    herbfargus

I created a simple video just showing the major changes with the most recent SD image release. You can also check out the change log to see a complete list of the most recent changes.

(https://www.petrockblock.com/retropie/retropie-downloads/download-info/retropie-project-sd-card-image-for-raspberry-pi-2-version-3-0-beta/)

justinbeaird
    Participant

Still has problems with ps3 controller :(

monochromatic
    Participant

I’m on 2.6 currently, and I’m wondering if I’d need to do a new SD card image to upgrade… or if just doing a binary install from retropie_setup.sh would do the same thing. Anybody know the answer?

herbfargus

If I were you I’d just go to the 3.0 image. Its easiest to start from a fresh image as most things are tested to work. (Plus it will clean up your ROMs folders) but you could get away with a full binary install to get most of the new functionality. A fresh image is just a lot cleaner.

monochromatic
    Participant

Ok will do, thanks. Any idea just how “beta” this release is, or when the official 3.0 is likely to be ready? I’m wondering if I should just wait for the official one, or if this beta is already solid.

mcbourne
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your hard work on this! Can’t wait to do some testing this weekend.

herbfargus

I tested a lot of the functionality before the beta was released and the major bugs for the most part were taken care of by Buzz. Thus far some people have had issues with UK keyboards/ ps3 controllers but I’m not sure how specific they are to version 3.0 vs just typical configuration issues. I’ll put it this way- it’s much more stable than the 2.42 beta image was. But I haven’t tested it fully but initially it seems pretty stable. Just give it a go and see how it compares with 2.6.

Jara
    Participant

I’m having some issues with the controllers.
    I do the retroarch config like usual, but the retroarch.cfg remains unchanged. Could be something about permissions, will check that later.
    SNES controllers are all messed up.

So far I’ve liked the changes made. I’ll just have to try each of the emulators and options to find the most optimal one for each system.

trixster
    Participant

After an update of the retropie-update script and then a binary install of the emulators I’m using I’m running into problems with version 3.0. I’ve upgraded from 2.6 to 3.0.

I took a copy of my various configs folders first (as well as some cfg files for emulators like pisnes and pifba). After the install of 3.0 binaries I copied back over the relevant config files (mainly retroarch.cfg for individual emulators) as i didnt want to have to go through the pain of re-configuring everything agai. Now anything which runs from a libretro core will not load, it quits back into emulationstation with a segmentation fault.

I do not want to have to use the download image as i already have a ton of other stuff on my current install. Is there a way to upgrade from 2.6 to 3.0 without re-imaging the sd card but still retaining all the time-precious config file changes that have been made?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you shouldn’t overwrite the retroarch.cfg’s – the updater will not delete any content from them, but it does add some important stuff, which you will have overwritten when copying yours back over.

trixster
    Participant

Ah, right, I see. Didn’t realise that! I’ll give it another go. Luckily I took an image of my sd card prior to doing the ‘update’ so i can try again. Thanks for the quick reply!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I just made a minor change related to this, so make sure you have the latest retropie-setup and go from there. it should update the configurations without breaking anything, but take a backup to be sure.

kmhamel
    Participant

I too would like to update 2.6 to 3.0 using the binary. My system runs on a hard drive using berryboot. In a comment above, it was stated that if you updated using the binary you would not get all the effects of the upgrade and the rom files would not be cleaned up.

So my question:
    1) what do I need to do to manually clean up my rom files after I upgrade.
    2) what do I need to manually change to get the full effect of the upgrade.

Thanks

petrockblog
    Keymaster

1) you need to move any roms to the new default folders and then delete the old folders. here is an updated rom folder list

amiga
    amstradcpc
    apple2
    atari2600
    atari5200
    atari800
    atarilynx
    atarist
    c64
    fba
    gamegear
    gb
    gba
    gbc
    genesis
    intellivision
    macintosh
    mame-advmame
    mame-mame4all
    mastersystem
    megadrive
    msx
    n64
    neogeo
    nes
    pc
    pcengine
    ports
    psx
    quake3
    scummvm
    sega32x
    segacd
    sg-1000
    snes
    vectrex
    zmachine
    zxspectrum

2) a full binary install, and then enabling “usbromservice” (if you use it), and it should be enough.

trixster
    Participant

Right, I’ve just tried again to update from 2.6 to 3.0, using the updated script you mentioned in the post #92853. I updated all the emulators I use including retroarch and emulationstation. All emulators which do not use retroarch seem ok. I didn’t use my old configs at all.

The following libretro cores work ok:

lr-imame4all
    lr-nestopia
    lr-snes9x-next

I cannot get lr-picodrive, lr-prboom, or lr-fba to work. I did not even update lr-prboom with the latest binary. It was working fine under 2.6 and now not under the retroarch which has been installed under 3.0. Loading a rom with picrodrive or lr-fba returns a Segmentation Fault.

What now?

kmhamel
    Participant

That’s great, simpler than I thought it would be. Just rename my rom folders. I don’t use the usbromservice since I have a rom folder on the harddrive.

Since this will be a full install I assume I’ll have to do the second ps3 controller fix.

kmhamel
    Participant

[quote=92870]Right, I’ve just tried again to update from 2.6 to 3.0, using the updated script you mentioned in the post #92853. I updated all the emulators I use including retroarch and emulationstation. All emulators which do not use retroarch seem ok. I didn’t use my old configs at all.

The following libretro cores work ok:

lr-imame4all
    lr-nestopia
    lr-snes9x-next

I cannot get lr-picodrive, lr-prboom, or lr-fba to work. I did not even update lr-prboom with the latest binary. It was working fine under 2.6 and now not under the retroarch which has been installed under 3.0. Loading a rom with picrodrive or lr-fba returns a Segmentation Fault.

What now?
    [/quote]

Just a thought: Check the /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.

Look up your emulator in es_systems.cfg and make sure the rom file matches with where you stored your roms.

trixster
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. The rom locations are all correct and match es_system.cfg

In the cases of the libretro cores that don’t work, the roms are found, certain config options such as button configs are loaded but when it gets to “Powering on HDMI with preferred settings” the emulation quits and goes back into Emulationstation. The erro log file for Street Fighter 3 Third Strike running on lr-fba is here:

RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: [FBA] Archive: sfiii3
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: Game: sfiii3
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: Frontend supports RGB565 – will use that instead of XRGB1555.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: has_analog: 0
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: drvname: sfiii3
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: genre: 8
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: hardware: 150994944
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Coin – assigned to key: RetroPad Button Select, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Coin – has nSwitch.nCode: 6.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Start – assigned to key: RetroPad Button Start, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Start – has nSwitch.nCode: 2.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Up – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Up, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Up – has nSwitch.nCode: c8.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Down – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Down, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Down – has nSwitch.nCode: d0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Left – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Left, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Left – has nSwitch.nCode: cb.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Right – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Right, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Right – has nSwitch.nCode: cd.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Weak Punch – assigned to key: RetroPad Button Y, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Weak Punch – has nSwitch.nCode: 1e.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Medium Punch – assigned to key: RetroPad Button X, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Medium Punch – has nSwitch.nCode: 1f.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Strong Punch – assigned to key: RetroPad Button L, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Strong Punch – has nSwitch.nCode: 20.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Weak Kick – assigned to key: RetroPad Button B, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Weak Kick – has nSwitch.nCode: 2c.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Medium Kick – assigned to key: RetroPad Button A, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Medium Kick – has nSwitch.nCode: 2d.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Strong Kick – assigned to key: RetroPad Button R, port: 0.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P1 Strong Kick – has nSwitch.nCode: 2e.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Coin – assigned to key: RetroPad Button Select, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Coin – has nSwitch.nCode: 7.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Start – assigned to key: RetroPad Button Start, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Start – has nSwitch.nCode: 3.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Up – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Up, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Up – has nSwitch.nCode: 4002.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Down – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Down, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Down – has nSwitch.nCode: 4003.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Left – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Left, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Left – has nSwitch.nCode: 4000.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Right – assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Right, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Right – has nSwitch.nCode: 4001.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Weak Punch – assigned to key: RetroPad Button Y, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Weak Punch – has nSwitch.nCode: 4080.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Medium Punch – assigned to key: RetroPad Button X, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Medium Punch – has nSwitch.nCode: 4081.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Strong Punch – assigned to key: RetroPad Button L, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Strong Punch – has nSwitch.nCode: 4082.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Weak Kick – assigned to key: RetroPad Button B, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Weak Kick – has nSwitch.nCode: 4083.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Medium Kick – assigned to key: RetroPad Button A, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Medium Kick – has nSwitch.nCode: 4084.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Strong Kick – assigned to key: RetroPad Button R, port: 1.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: P2 Strong Kick – has nSwitch.nCode: 4085.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: WARNING! Button unaccounted for: [Reset].
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: Reset – has nSwitch.nCode: 3d.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: WARNING! Button unaccounted for: [Diagnostic].
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: Diagnostic – has nSwitch.nCode: 3c.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: WARNING! Button unaccounted for: [Service].
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: Service – has nSwitch.nCode: a.
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: WARNING! Button unaccounted for: [Region].
    RetroArch: rarch_log_libretro: [libretro INFO] :: Region – has nSwitch.nCode: 3.
    /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh: line 534: 2620 Segmentation fault /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-fba/fb_alpha_libretro.so –config /opt/retropie/configs/fba/retroarch.cfg “/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba/sfiii3.zip” –appendconfig /tmp/retroarch.cfg

petrockblog
    Keymaster

trixter: when you say you updated all the emulators you use ? do you mean you did that from menu 5? that will not be sufficient if so – you need to do a full binary install.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

also – please post the contents of /opt/retropie/configs/fba/retroarch.cfg

trixster
    Participant

yes, from menu 5 but i also updated retroarch and emulationstation. I also did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade first. ill try a full binary update now.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

that won’t matter – the only way to upgrade is the full binary install – but to be honest, I recommend backing up configs and starting from a fresh image. quicker to do it like that imho.

trixster
    Participant

config attanched with .cfg removed from the end to get it to upload

noldor
    Participant

After an update of the retropie-update script and then a full binary install seems to works anything.
    Anyway the new advanceMame it’s slow when using some video filter (that on the old version works at good speed) on my raspberry 2. There a quick way to downgrading to the 0.94 version ?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

in the pre launch menu (press x or m when you get the black screen before emulator loads)

trixster
    Participant

A full binary install makes no difference to the problems I’m encountering. lr-picodrive, lr-fba and lr-prboom still quit back to emulationstation.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Then I will need to see some configs – use an external site like pastebin please.

trixster
    Participant

okey dokey, here’s the pastebin of retroarch.cfg from the fba folder

http://pastebin.com/nCyH1N7R

Thanks for looking into this, i’m sure it’s something I’ve screwed up on!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

nothing that stands out, but I wasn’t expecting so many configs in that file – usually it would just be a few configs to override the defaults so i assume you must hve saved the configs out at some point to it – did you try stripping it back to just the “include” to see if that helps ?

have you also modified the all/retroarch.cfg file ?

I really think you should start from the beta image – and go from there. I don’t really have time to help further. sorry.

trixster
    Participant

ok, stripping it all down to the include makes it work! Nice one! Something in the config was causing the issue. I can troubleshoot it from here, ta.

herbfargus

glad to see you back with another helpful comment :) the genesis and megadrive are the exact same folder as they are are symlinked so it doesnt matter which one you put your roms in because it all ends up in the same megadrive folder. It was added to accomodate the fellows in the U.S. who may not know that the genesis is called the megadrive everywhere else in the world.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

oldchocobo

Take it up with emulationstation – we are mostly following their naming scheme.

https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/blob/08c2c561ca34f185dacca7621ce0841e5503a4e3/es-app/src/PlatformId.cpp#L54

We can add a symlinked playstation folder if people really do get confused, but it is common to call the PlayStation “PSX”. No-one has got confused over this yet. If they had I’m sure you would be around to offer help in your usual manner.

“The PlayStation (officially abbreviated as PS and unofficially, but more commonly known as PSX or PS1) is a video game console developed and marketed by Sony Computer Entertainment”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_%28console%29

Oh and you are right, I’ve not had much time for playing games – if I had, you wouldn’t have a v3.0 beta to moan about.

thex
    Participant

Still setting up a new build with 3.0 For Rasp B.

I love the new RetroPie menu! makes setting up much easier.

I have a suggestion – is it possible to include a wifi script/setup command in the new RetroPie menu?

monochromatic
    Participant

On a fresh 3.0 beta SD card, I had some issues with keyboard layout too (trying to set it to US 101-key). I went through the raspi-config script, and it seemed to work (and it actually updated /etc/default/keyboard with my selections)… but it was in fact stuck with the UK layout.

Doing a binary install from retropie_setup.sh seemed to fix things though.

kornbaby
    Participant

[quote=92844]I’m having some issues with the controllers.
    I do the retroarch config like usual, but the retroarch.cfg remains unchanged. Could be something about permissions, will check that later.
    SNES controllers are all messed up.

So far I’ve liked the changes made. I’ll just have to try each of the emulators and options to find the most optimal one for each system.
    [/quote]

please let me know if you figure this out. I’m also having the issue where I put my custom configs in the retroarch.cfg file for each respective emulator and it seems to ignore that and just read the one thats in the “all” folder.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.