• This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    whise
    Participant

is it possible on the pi retroarch?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

A configuration menu was added for Retroarch Netplay in the RetroPie setup script on 22/10/13: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/commits/master
    Haven’t tried it yet, let us know how you get on!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Yes, the configuration is included in the RetroPie Setup Script. If netplay is enabled, the necessary command line parameters are automatically added to/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.

However, I still have problems to make netplay work with, e.g., the SNES RetroArch core. It would be great, if you could also try to make the netplay feature work.

Geddons

Hello there,

I’m running the latest Retropie Image to this date.

Sorry to resurrect such an old post but I am wondering if other people are still experiencing the same issue with RetroPie and Netplay ?

I have been trying for a few days, while using Retropie and its config script, to make it work. I had been unsuccessful.

Then we tried to modify directly the configuration file of RetroArch and were unsuccessful again. All along, my impressions have been that my netplay configuration was somehow not being taken into account.

Today, I have been successful in making it work on my local network directly by injecting the configuration parameters on the command line of retroarch, the base of the CLI coming from the /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

I’m still waiting on a “field test” with somebody else outside from my network to make sure I’m right this time.

The point of my first question is an attempt to detect whether our previous attempts were due to a human error or if I might have found a way to make this work.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

I gave up on this ages ago, if you have got it to work that’s great :-) Would you be able to post a guide once you’ve figured it all out?

Geddons

I should be able to experiment my idea this afternoon.

It was in my original intentions to write down at least my exact findings and maybe what we could fix in Retropie to address this issue. But I wouldn’t count too much on the latter if I were you considering I have been using Retropie only since the day before yesterday.

Do you have any preference regarding where the so-called guide should be posted ? Was thinking about making it a separate topic on this forum.

Cheers,

Pierre.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Yes a seperate topic would be great and much appreciated by the community. Looking forward to reading the results of your tests :-)

Geddons

Actually, I’m having trouble finding someone who has a working Retropie and sufficient Linux skills to work this out.

I’ve got everything ready on my end, I can give the straight command to use on Retropie 2.3. All we need is having the same ROM to test but that can easily be mitigated.

Would you be willing to assist me on that ? We can TS/Mumble/Skype/Whatever.

Geddons

While I’m still waiting on some volunteer to test-field my working netplay setup, I’ve dug into Retropie source code.

New results found: I confirm that the Retropie setup script isn’t modifying any config file related to the RetroNetPlay menu.

One proof of that (quite weak I admit): run the script, make some settings (e.g. enable netplay), exit the script. Relaunch the script and you’ll see it’s completely blank as the first launch where it should display the current status (enabled/disabled).

An other proof of that (a bit more serious):

*Perform a “ls -lh /opt/retropie/configs/all/” before using the Retropie-Setup script
    *Perform an other one after
    *Compare timestamps: nothing has changed.

You can go even deeper by comparing the whole config directory before/after.

I’m going over the scripts by following the breadcrumbs. Hopefully I should be able to provide a fix.

Cheers,

Pierre.

Geddons

OK, got it.

The issue comes from the Retropie-Setup script as suspected.
    Precisely this piece of code:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/blob/master/scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh

After each new paremeter is input, two function calls are made:

1. rps_retronet_saveconfig
    2. sup_generate_esconfig

First one only input the following content in ~/RetroPie-Setup/configs/retronetplay.cfg :

__netplayenable=”E”
    __netplaymode=”H”
    __netplayport=”55435″
    __netplayhostip=””
    __netplayhostip_cfile=””
    __netplayframes=”10″

If you look at how it should be inserted into a real RetroArch config file, there is absolutely *no* way this is going to work.

Second one, supposedly responsible for modifying the EmulationStation configuration (precisely, the exact command to run on the emulator(s) next time they are being run)… well it doesn’t exist ! Proof of that:

pi@retropie ~/RetroPie-Setup $ grep -rH ‘sup_generate_esconfig’ * -A 1 -B 2
    scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh- esac
    scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh- rps_retronet_saveconfig
    scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh: sup_generate_esconfig
    scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh- fi

scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh- esac

scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh- __netplayport=$choices

scriptmodules/supplementary/retronetplay.sh- __netplayframes=$choices

What you’re seeing there are excerpts of all the function calls to save the RetroArch & EmulationStation configs. That happens everytime there is a netplay parameter modification. And… there is no match for a function definition, *anywhere* in the whole Retropie-Setup folder.

My best guess: there has been quite a lof of rework in the scripts modules and somehow, this one wasn’t maintained.

Once I’ll know for sure that the netplay works fine with a volunteer and my hat-trick, I’ll open an issue on GitHub.

So, waiting for someone out there !

Cheers,

Pierre.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Great that you have identified the problems! I have lent my Pi to a friend so I cannot try this until I get it back in a few days, I will message you when I do. In the meantime you could try messaging/tweeting Florian, the developer of RetroPie. I am sure he would be interested in trying this out.

Thanks for the effort in getting this far :-)

Geddons

Hey there,

I have been able to make it work with somebody ! So I guess my whole theory is right :-).

Unfortunately, the game experience so far hasn’t been great as we were experiencing quite a lot of lag/out-of-sync but it definitely works.

If I had to guess, I’d say my best bet would be on the network and the way netplay works (I’m in Belgium and the other guy was in France). Otherwise, it might be an increase in computation requirement and the Pi might fall behind. We both tried to overclock our Pis (to the same frequency) but that didn’t seem to have any impact.

Therefore: I think it requires some testing and tweaking. I have tweeted petrockblock and I’m going to open a new issue on GitHub.

Cheers,

Pierre.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Any further news on this and has anyone tested on PI2?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.