Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am interested in making a portable emulation station in a gba system case. Since the Model A+ is substantially more power efficient I wish to use that. The RAM is cut in half though. Can anyone point me to the minimum specs needed for the snes emulator and the gba emulator? I want to see if I will have performance issues by using the A+. Id rather end up spending more on battery capacity as apposed to have issues with the main board.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

SNES/GB emulation will run fine, but Emulation Station version 2 might struggle with reduced ram. You could use an earlier version of the RetroPie image which uses ES v.1 or check out PiPlay: http://pimame.org/

dxfx
    Participant

Hey guys! first post on here, just signed up to let you know that Retropie will work on an A+ model! I started with a fresh install on the A+. First thing I tried changing the memory split to 128 and it ran horribly so I changed it back to 256. I did change the UI setting for the background tiles from Fade to Slide because the effect was not working properly. The only systems I tested were: NES, SMS, GBC, and I loaded it with GG games too but couldn’t get them to load. I do have a RPi B+ as well which I used to transfer games to the card via Cyberduck. Overall all the games I tested ran smoothly and I didn’t have any problems.
    I am trying to build a micro console for my nephew. He came up to me a while back and asked me what a “mario bro” was. I ordered a usb dogbone nes controller hoping to learn how to set up the controls for it. I’ve tried doing it for the xbox 360 wired controller a handful of times but never quite figured out exactly how to. I read a classic usb controller isn’t as hard to set up though.
    I’m hoping to learn how to fix the GG problem and the set up controls for the classic controller and was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction or provide their expertise on the matter. I’d much appreciate it :) Thanks guys! Cheers!

I’m

ivanretrobit
    Participant

idk if you have seen these but the are smaller clones of the raspbery B model it uses all the same software because it uses the same processor as the raspberry best part is you dont sacrifice any ram since it has 512mb. Hope this helps im in the middle of making and original DMG with snes buttons and all 4 triggers for psx games
    http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G140610189490

I forgot to mention it has a built in Lipo battery charger!

dxfx
    Participant

Ah yes the ODroid! Yea I’ve seen this before. Look up “Pi SP” on youtube to see it in action.
    Meanwhile, I played Star Fox SNES for stress testing and it runs slow on both models. I’m guessing the default emu core RetroPie comes with might not be able to handle it well. I’m sure other SNES games work pretty good though.

ivanretrobit
    Participant

have you installed retropie on an A+ after adding my roms and configuring retroarch for my controller emulation station goes blank with just the word choose its weird i guess ill try it again tomorrow/later today

dxfx
    Participant

Adafruit posted a video for a 3D printed RPi Gameboy named “Super Game Pi” using a Raspberry Pi A+ and an image of Retropie. I noticed them showing off Super Mario World for SNES so I’m assuming most games for the SNES would work on the A+

I’d say this problem is resolved. I don’t know how to mark it as resolved.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.