Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For some reason over the past couple of days the square rainbow icon appears in the top right of my screen.(I have a pi2 btw). Being new to Pi I thought it was dropping wifi connection. But no alas i read its low power issues….All has been fine with power up till now…Including a bit of cheeking high overclocking. It all began a couple of days ago. Ive since detached my wifi, removed any overclocking, removed a little fan from the Pi case and uplugged my keybard and it’s still appearing…More and more now i think. My power supply is 5v 2a…And i can’t work out why this would be the case. Am i low on power really>? even when running a GameBoy game?

Has anyone noticed issues like this and should i ignore it?

labelwhore
    Participant

Do you know the power supply is actually outputting 2 amps?

leefy
    Participant

I can only go on what it says on the label….I bought it as part of a bundle from a reputable Pi dealer. Is there any way for me to check the amps? i don’t have a voltmeter.

labelwhore
    Participant

I’d say get one. They’re pretty cheap, and for a project like this, pretty much mandatory. I haven’t run into this issue yet, but given the power supply is so cheap, I’m just waiting for it to happen. lol I usually throw down $30 – $50 for a nice power supply for my projects, the $7 one that came with my PI scares me a bit. :P

leefy
    Participant

Just as a final note….I have tried a samsung phone power supply now….

It’s 5v 0.7a. Pretty low powered compared to the one i was using but having problems with….And guess what….No more power icons in the top right…Even with 2 joysticks, 1 wifi dongle, 1 keyboard and overclocked to High.

Moral of this story….

If it was cheap(or part of a bundle) it’s probably useless.

Noob question resolved. TY

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see the small rainbow icon in the top right corner on boot for a moment on a PI2 but then it goes away. Is that normal?

vincegun
    Participant

Hi, I think I’m getting the same thing that’s being talked about here. It’s a small 4-color box in the top right corner of my screen that fades in and out while my RPi1 is doing anything other than booting or just sitting at the main ES screen.

I’m using a Belkin 2.1amp power adapter. Model: F8J052.

FWIW, my /boot/config.txt OC settings are:
    gpu_mem=384
    arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=600
    over_voltage=6
    avoid_safe_mode=1
    force_turbo=0

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=89432]I see the small rainbow icon in the top right corner on boot for a moment on a PI2 but then it goes away. Is that normal?[/quote]
    the one on boot is normal as far as I know.

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

confirmed, boot square is normal.

However, if the rainbow square stays, it means your power supply is not good enough. It’s worth buying a decent one.

raymate
    Participant

[quote=89516]confirmed, boot square is normal.

However, if the rainbow square stays, it means your power supply is not good enough. It’s worth buying a decent one.
    [/quote]

Good to know I was wondering what that was for

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.