Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Problems with RetroPie on RPi B+

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kuebiko
    Participant

I’m having a problem where the four USB ports and the Ethernet ports are not powered on my RPi B+. Looking around at other communities it seems that this is due to hardware differences on the B+ which make it so that distros that work fine on the B do not recognize the USBs or the ethernet port until updated. Until this is compensated for, the ports in fact, do not even have power. For other users, this problem has been fixed with updated versions of Raspian.

Being a novice to the RPi, I was curious if anyone else was having these problems. I haven’t seen any posts about this regarding RetroPie specifically, though I am having the same problems with RetroPie on my B+ that other users are having with other distros.

Has anyone managed to get RetroPie 2.3 up and running on the new B+ model?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

yeah I have, my set up was just like using a B board, no probs accept a little over heating

kuebiko
    Participant

my set up was just like using a B board

Hmm, interesting. When I boot to the latest version of 2.3, I just get a black screen. On the installer instructions it mentioned that I might have to push the number keys to get video to work but since there is no power to the keyboard/mouse/ethernet port, I can’t get it to show up.

I know it isn’t a hardware issue because I have the latest Raspbian running on another SD card and the USB and ethernet ports are working.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

odd, I read somewhere last nite while messing around with OpenELEC that some boards perform differently depending the region they were made, give it a google if you haven’t already done so, see what ya can find out!?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

A believe a firmware update is required to solve the usb/ethernet issues: http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md

InsecureSpike
    Participant

^^ yeah that too, although it worked fine for me with no updating,

kuebiko
    Participant

firmware update is required to solve the usb/ethernet issues

Okay, thank you very much. That makes sense considering the newest, official Raspian works fine on another card. Since RetroPie isn’t loading on my B+, I’ll have to see if I can get it running on another machine or something to get it updated. If that doesn’t work, hopefully the RetroPie image will be updated in the near future.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

if you have any problems, I can create a new updated .img and drop it in my Dropbox if that’s any help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.