Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Problem with MAME buttons "1P" and "Coins" with arcade controller

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    coccobanana88
    Participant

Hi there! I’m a newbie!
    I bought Raspberry Pi2 to create a retro arcade machine. I’m new with linux and programming, but i solved some issues thanks to tutorials found on youtube but I can’t solve this…

In MAME (mame4all) I press TAB to configure my arcade controller (http://www.ultracabs.co.uk/usb-interface–standard-joystick-set-109-p.asp). It works with all the 6 “normal” buttons but not with 1P and coins buttons (start and select in other emulator that works with retroarch). When I press these 2 buttons mame don’t receive input.
    In other emulators and in the emulationstation menus the buttons works, but none in mame.

Any helps?

coccobanana88
    Participant

I solved changing the emulator. With lr-mame4all it’s okay. The buttons works well but not for all the games and i can’t go on the control panel with TAB on keyboard.
    There is a shortcut/hotkeys for mame control panel?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm there is a menu in Mame for configuring input. I have done it on my xbox controllers so select is put in coin and start is start (and LT is shutdown…bit of a problem when someone else is player 1 and they don’t realise heh).

I do not know why it would stop working though. It is indeed tab; but i think there is a config file in /opt/retropie/configs, possibly a mame subfolder that you can check? Maybe you can map entirely in the configs there (assuming they do actually exist).

That menu launchable by tab is also configurable so you may have accidentally unmapped/remapped it. If you cannot change it in a config setting I do not know what your best option is.

coccobanana88
    Participant

1)Now I changed the emulator with lr-mame4all that works with retroarch. Now I don’t know how to change controls because keyboards now works like a “retroarch keyboard” (like a gamepad).
    2)Not in all games ‘Start/1P’ and ‘Select/coins’ works and I can’t understand why. I have to use keyboard for coins (pressing backspace/Select) in these games

Now I’ll try to search for a config file like you suggest…

herbfargus

Its a known issue with lr-fba and lr-imame4all. For some reason the hotkey overrides the select key input coin function for some games so I usually just swap my hotkey with the left bumper and then pressing select works to input a coin.

coccobanana88
    Participant

[quote=102527]Its a known issue with lr-fba and lr-imame4all. For some reason the hotkey overrides the select key input coin function for some games so I usually just swap my hotkey with the left bumper and then pressing select works to input a coin.

[/quote]
    How do you swap the hotkeys? In retroarch menus?

Floob

Yes, I use the suggestion HerbFargus made, its often the easiest way.

So for example, manually add this line
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = “4”

(Assuming that 4 is the button you want to act as the enable hotkey, thats the left shoulder on my ibuffalo usb joypad)

into this file
    /opt/retropie/configs/fba/retroarch.cfg

(Or whichever mame type system you are using, maybe yours is mame-mame4all)

coccobanana88
    Participant

[quote=102533]input_enable_hotkey_btn = “4”[/quote]
    the line resolve the problem but it create another one.
    In lr-fba when I press the btn for hotkeys (I need all 6 btn) in SFII 3rd strike the game has micro-freeze. In SFII the hotkey button with the joystick active the “save state” hotkey.
    For games that use less than 6 button there’s no problem obv.

Floob

I think SFII 3rd strike is ok with the select button with credits, if it is you could do a rom specific approach for the problem ones instead (as opposed to system specific) and hope there isnt a problem rom that needs 6 buttons!

I touch on rom specific configs here:

coccobanana88
    Participant

I’ll see the video soon.
    I partially solved the problem editing the fba2x.cfg (using pifba)
    Games like Metal Slug does not work in lr-fba

Floob

Metal Slug seems to play fine in lr-fba. Although I often use gngeo for snk games. It might be worth checking your romsets.
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

coccobanana88
    Participant

I returned to mame4all to have a different configuration for any game.
    I don’t understand why in my arcade controller 1P and coins do not give input when i press tab to configure buttons.
    I have six normal buttons (10,11,12,13,14,15) that works fine and 1P and coins (16, 17) that do not work. Maybe mame4all does not support more than 15 buttons??

I don’t know why I don’t have 1,2,3…9 buttons…

I wired only 8 buttons of the player one of the xin mo to test the buttons maybe i have to wire all the buttons

coccobanana88
    Participant

After a research on internet I discover that mame4all support only controller with max 16 buttons (0 to 15). There is a way to change the number of my buttons?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.