Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Performance Problem Pi 2.0! Need Help!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    x52p
    Participant

I have big performance Problems with my Raspberry Pi 2.0
    Using retropie v3.0 (sd image)

i have connected:
    usb controller and wireless keyboard

SNES games run poorly with bad sound and low fps (for example Mario, super metroid, F zero)

I don´t understand that because I saw a lot of videos of people running even starfox or n64 games fluidly

I´ve already set the clock to the raspi 2 setting, everything else is left default.

I´m new to RetroPie and hope someone can help me.

denus
    Participant

Don’t use the predefined setting from the raspi-config: the frequency for the sdram is set too high (500) and can cause instability, freezes etc.
    Rather use these values in your ~/boot/config.txt:

arm_freq=1067
    over_voltage=4
    core_freq=533
    sdram_freq=466

These are in my case the fastest and most stable settings so far, without extreme temperatures or other drawbacks!
    Of course, there’re more settings possible, but I can play PSX games the whole day without problems, so I’ll stick with it.
    You should consider buying a couple of heat-sinks though.

As for the HDMI sound, I cannot help you since I’m using the 3.5mm audio output.

x52p
    Participant

I changed the settings in the file.
    But i still have the same problem. Many games run at low fps, i deaktivated sound in retroarch to test if its a sound traiber problem, but that changed nothing.

Are there any retroarch settings wich should be changed?
    Minecraft or other ports run without problems, i think its a problem of the emulation.

denus
    Participant

Have you done an update /upgrade / rpi-update already?

Because I did nothing special, and everything is running fine, except for the N64 emulator, but that’s a known issue.

I just use the predefined emulators, didn’t change much except for the controls & smooth video.

smithers
    Participant

Hi.

Sounds to me like it might be a power supply issue. As a test, open a SNES ROM and start playing. When the slowdown occurs, is there a square rainbow icon in the top right corner of the screen fading in and out? If so then try a higher rated power supply and the issue will (probably) disappear.

I was pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of why all SNES roms and certain MAME ROMs (MK2 / UMK3 mainly) were suddenly running like crap, then I noticed the slowdown only occurred when the rainbow icon appeared. I had recently changed to a different power supply so I changed back to the old one again and performance suddenly became perfect! (And no rainbow icon!).

Hope this helps!

Cheers
    Steve

denus
    Participant

That’s a good one… a good 2 amp power supply is indeed most important!

kitchuk
    Participant

[quote=98030]Hi.

Sounds to me like it might be a power supply issue. As a test, open a SNES ROM and start playing. When the slowdown occurs, is there a square rainbow icon in the top right corner of the screen fading in and out? If so then try a higher rated power supply and the issue will (probably) disappear.

I was pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of why all SNES roms and certain MAME ROMs (MK2 / UMK3 mainly) were suddenly running like crap, then I noticed the slowdown only occurred when the rainbow icon appeared. I had recently changed to a different power supply so I changed back to the old one again and performance suddenly became perfect! (And no rainbow icon!).

Hope this helps!

Cheers
    Steve

[/quote]

Out of interest, which mame emulator are you using to play MK2 and UMK3?

smithers
    Participant

I’m using the libretro mame port that is included in retroarch. MAME4ALL won’t play them at all (Segmentation error).

They play pretty well, just a couple of sound issues at times but I haven’t tried changing the sound driver yet to see if it helps. They run terrible though with an under performing power supply!

See video below of them in action:

youtube

Cheers
    Steve

kitchuk
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. The Libretro MAME port doesnt seem to be included with RetroPie, I just have the imame4all core.

I’ll give it a spin after work. Cheers.

smithers
    Participant

Hmmm, what version of Retropie are you running? I’m using v3b2 and I definitely have both versions (and advmame too which also opens them if I remember rightly but plays terrible).

kitchuk
    Participant

Also running v3b2. I have the imame4all-pi standalone, libretro-imame4all core and then two standalone versions of Advancemame (.94 and .106 versions).

x52p
    Participant

I found the problem,
    it was a dammaged power strip!
    Tanks alot for the tips!

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=98047]That’s a good one… a good 2 amp power supply is indeed most important!

[/quote]
    …and just because it says 2 amps on it, doesn’t mean it actually outputs 2 amps. Don’t buy a cheap power supply. I saw this first hand with a power supply that came in a RPI 2 kit from microcenter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.