Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Option to Hide Parent/Children Roms

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jamesrives
    Participant

Given the fact front ends are designed to be aesthetically pleasing and simplify access to multiple emulated games and systems, it would be nice to have the option to hide parent/children roms in Emulation Station menus. In situations whereby multiple roms are required (parents, children, BIOS roms, etc), all of the roms are currently listed individually in the EmulationStation menu. This is confusing to “casual” users who aren’t familiar with manipulating rom sets, configuring emulators, etc. I would imagine many of us are trying to set up “clean” systems that can be used by novices. Simple is better.

There are workarounds, but if EmulationStation provided an option to hide files, life would be much simpler. I assume it wouldn’t be too difficult to add this option.

Of course, there are times when its completely legitimate to display all the parent/children files (for example, situations whereby multiple children roms allow a game to be played in various foreign languages) – so this would need to remain configurable by the user – versus an “automatic” function.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jim

herbfargus

Without coding in and integrating the .dat files in the source it would be difficult to filter out parents from clones as they share the same filetype (.zip)

not to mention the varying builds and versions of romsets for each emulator.

The only feasible way to filter and manage romsets is to do it manually. Parents and Clones can be sorted somewhat depending on whether you build merged or split sets with clrmamepro, but you still have to choose which you keep and which you remove if you have full romsets. I find it much more manageable just to pick the few games I actually play.

see
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs#step-5–rebuild-a-rom-set

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.