Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Newbie Question – Losing Signal When Choose NES Game

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    glkatz81
    Participant

Hi Everyone. I lurked around this forum and it’s been very helpful. I followed these instructions to setup Retropie on my raspberrypi:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

I want to introduce my 3 year old to old NES games. Everything went well until I tried to play a game on NES. As soon as I choose any of the four NES games I’ve installed I lose my signal and I can’t do anything except press some buttons to eventually get back to the prior screen. I can choose any of the preinstalled systems (Apple, IBM) w/no issue but when I choose NES games it loses signal.

My setup is via HDMI to a year old Panasonic plasma TV.

I’ve read some things on here that describe issues w/signals but most seem to discuss component video which I’m not using.

I’m just not sure where to start and while I’m comfortable following step by step instructions such as on Lifehacker I know my limitations and w/out seeing something right on point I don’t want to do damage to the raspberrypi that I can see is SO CLOSE to letting me have some fun times w/my son playing NES together.

Help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Gabe

nepukadnezar
    Participant

Same issue with me.
    Installed the SD card image successfully on my new Pi, and connected it to my ASUS VG248QE and also to my Samsung UE55C8790 via HDMI cable.
    The Pi is letting me configure my USB XBox Controller and I can select the preinstalled games and my SNES Roms.
    But as soon as the games have started, I can select nothing or do nothing anymore.
    Batman for example starts the demo stages, but the only thing I can do is pressing the ESC button on my keyboard to get back to the GUI….

I have spent hours reading in this forum without success.

What am I doing wrong?

zsprawl
    Participant

Have ya tried another screen with a different resolution to see if it has something to do with the settings or compatibility of the monitor?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

[quote=21903]Hi Everyone. I lurked around this forum and it’s been very helpful. I followed these instructions to setup Retropie on my raspberrypi:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

I want to introduce my 3 year old to old NES games. Everything went well until I tried to play a game on NES. As soon as I choose any of the four NES games I’ve installed I lose my signal and I can’t do anything except press some buttons to eventually get back to the prior screen. I can choose any of the preinstalled systems (Apple, IBM) w/no issue but when I choose NES games it loses signal.

My setup is via HDMI to a year old Panasonic plasma TV.

I’ve read some things on here that describe issues w/signals but most seem to discuss component video which I’m not using.

I’m just not sure where to start and while I’m comfortable following step by step instructions such as on Lifehacker I know my limitations and w/out seeing something right on point I don’t want to do damage to the raspberrypi that I can see is SO CLOSE to letting me have some fun times w/my son playing NES together.

Help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Gabe

[/quote]

Hi, firstly try a different rom to rule out the rom being the issue. If that doesn’t work edit es_systems, copy es_systems.cfg from /etc/emulationstation/ to /home/pi/.emulationstation/

Then edit in terminal:
    nano /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

Navigate to the NES section, change runcommand from 4 to 2. Ctrl x and y to save. Then reboot.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

[quote=22881]Same issue with me.
    Installed the SD card image successfully on my new Pi, and connected it to my ASUS VG248QE and also to my Samsung UE55C8790 via HDMI cable.
    The Pi is letting me configure my USB XBox Controller and I can select the preinstalled games and my SNES Roms.
    But as soon as the games have started, I can select nothing or do nothing anymore.
    Batman for example starts the demo stages, but the only thing I can do is pressing the ESC button on my keyboard to get back to the GUI….

I have spent hours reading in this forum without success.

What am I doing wrong?
    [/quote]

Hi, try this:

sudo chown pi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

If -j 0 doesn’t work try -j 1

nepukadnezar
    Participant

@ trimmtrabb

Didn’t try it yet, my kids kept me busy over the weekend :-) but wanted to add that it is the same behaviour even with my Logitech Rumble Pad 2.
    RPI auto detects the gamepad and let me configure it. I can navigate through the GUI and execute everything, but as soon as any game has started, the gamepad quits working.
    I then connected the keyboard in parallel and with the keyboard I was able to play e.g. ´Alien´.

nepukadnezar
    Participant

@ trimmtrabb

It worked, thank you very much.
    I just need to include the ESC button in my gamepad.
    Have already found a way in raspberry pi forum, but didn’t try it yet.

Thx for your help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.