Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Neo Geo X USB controller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    raymate
    Participant

Anyone got this controller to work with Retropie, I have tried a few times it does not seem to support it at all.

Could it work or should I give up?

shoothere
    Participant

Does it register anything when you get to the controller setup?

Does this video give any insight?

jstest is usually the first thing to try.

raymate
    Participant

Nothing is registered on the setup, it does not see any buttons i press on the arcade stick. but I will check out that video

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=119333]Nothing is registered on the setup, it does not see any buttons i press on the arcade stick. but I will check out that video

[/quote]
    That’s strange. But I too often have problems w/ my USB controllers for a short amount of time after I’ve put my Pi on. It takes a while for the Pi to “warm up” and actually “see” (or “register”) USB devices that are connected to the Pi via a (powered) hub.

I reconnect the hub and the controllers a few times until it shows up w/ the following command:

jstest /dev/input/js0

Is you controller connected directly to the Pi or via a hub? And does the controller work on your PC? I.e.: is the usb cable not broken?

P.S. I have the iBuffalo faux-SNES controller too. :)

raymate
    Participant

No the controller is good it works fine on my Mac and it works fine with PiPlay so can’t see why retropie it fails.

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=119398]No the controller is good it works fine on my Mac and it works fine with PiPlay so can’t see why retropie it fails.
    [/quote]
    Me neither… Did you connect this controller directly to an USB port of the Pi? Not via an USB-hub? And is the power adapter of your Pi “strong enough”? That is, 5 Volt and at least 2 Ampère? This really puzzels me.

How RetroPie, Emulationstation and Retroarch work to register the controller is vague and still a mystery to me. So I don’t know which of their scripts to use best. But if you escape to the command line of your Pi by pressing F4 on your keyboard and pressing Enter after that you should end up on the command line.

On the command line run (press TAB each time to complete the command):
    jstest /dev/input/js0
    (you might need to install this command first by running sudo apt-get install joystick.)

That should present you w/ screen full of axes and button status info from your controller (press CTRL + C to exit from it). If the above command leaves you w/ the following error message then Linux (i.e. your Pi itself) does not see a controller:
    jstest: No such file or directory
    That means that the file /dev/input/js0 does not exist and therefore that the controller was not “seen” by Linux.

Return to Emulationstation by typing emulationstation (again, use TAB to complete the command ) on the command line and press Enter.

raymate
    Participant

Still no luck but it seems the joystick output like a keyboard, this explains why Retropie does not let me set it up on a first time run, it simple thinks no controller is attached, when in the menu to register a controller the joystick can navigate up and down the menus but thats it.

Not sure how this helps as I can’t see how I an make this work with the games.

meneerjansen
    Participant

Wait a minute. Are we talking about the same controller as in this topic? If so it, indeed, “behaves” like a keyboard and not as a game controller. To use it do:

Make sure no keyboard is connected to your Pi (other than the X Arcade Stick), connect a controller to navigate through RetroPie’s menus and:

1. In RetroPie/Emulationstation go to: “RetroPie (the config menu) –> RetroPie setup –> Setup/configuration (to be used post install) –> Configure Retroarch controller –> Configure keyboard for use with RetroArch”.
    2. It should pop up a wizard that asks you to press keys on your keyboard (to use instead of a controller).
    3. Then press keys on your ‘AES stick’.

Now remove the temporary controller and use the X Arcade Stick to play.

raymate
    Participant

That almost worked, but when I get to the wizard it does not register the controller button as keyboard key

[quote=121869]Wait a minute. Are we talking about the same controller as in this topic? If so it, indeed, “behaves” like a keyboard and not as a game controller. To use it do:

Make sure no keyboard is connected to your Pi (other than the X Arcade Stick), connect a controller to navigate through RetroPie’s menus and:

1. In RetroPie/Emulationstation go to: “RetroPie (the config menu) –> RetroPie setup –> Setup/configuration (to be used post install) –> Configure Retroarch controller –> Configure keyboard for use with RetroArch”.
    2. It should pop up a wizard that asks you to press keys on your keyboard (to use instead of a controller).
    3. Then press keys on your ‘AES stick’.

Now remove the temporary controller and use the X Arcade Stick to play.

[/quote]

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=121907]That almost worked, but when I get to the wizard it does not register the controller button as keyboard key
    [/quote]
    Try to test on the command line (press F4 and Enter) if the controller indeed behaves like a keyboard. Letters etc. should appear on the command line when you move the stick or press buttons. Return to Emulationstation by typing “emulationstation” on the command line and press Enter.

If you’re absolutely definitely super duper sure the controller/keyboard actually does send output to the Pi then disconnect everything but the Neo Geo controller/keyboard (and a temporary USB controller to navigate through the Wizard). At first it didn’t work for the person either in the other topic because the Pi only reacted to the input of the “real” keyboard that was connected.

If need be: reboot your Pi and make sure NO other keyboard is connected to the Pi.

After setting up the Neo Geo X Arcade joysick make sure no other joysticks, controllers and what have you not are connected to play games.

Good luck :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.