Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello! I have a raspi2 and NeoGeo X Gold system, with a recreation of the original AES stick, but using USB. Win10 detects this device as a USB-HID Gamepad, and I can configured it with Xppader. In contrast, my MAME32 does not detect the stick…

It is only to say, that my arcade stick works good with some inconsistences.

When I try to connect my NGX stick to the raspi2, Emulestation does not detect this arcade. Only I have connected this stick and emulestation tells me that NO CONTROLLERS DETECTED.

Someone could I help me? Thank you very much!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve had the same problem for about 6 months. Can’t find any answers.

nathaninho
    Participant

Please… Heeeelp!!!

meneerjansen
    Participant
    1. Can you provide us w/ a link to the website of the manufacturer and the support page of this particular stick?
    2. It is important that the stick’s hardware or chip sends a signal via USB “saying” to the operating system (i.e. Windows or Linux) that it actually is a joysick (as opposed to a keyboard, a mouse or …).

If, and only if, this joystick “behaves” like any normal USB game device (i.e. does NOT need any special proprietary drivers to work (see website of manufacturer) then you can test on the Command Line Interface (CLI) of your Pi if it is detected. Do:

1. Make sure you’ve connected only the joystick you want to test: directly to the Pi, not via an USB hub.
    2. Install the package ‘Joystick’ w/: “sudo apt-get install joystick”.
    3. Test joystick/determine numbers of your buttons etc.: jstest /dev/input/js0.

If you do not see a lot of ‘axis’ and ‘button’ messages but an error message then your stick is not detected by Linux (RetroPie is a Linux application).

If your joystick needs a driver (see website of manufacturer!!!) then you’d better pray that there is a Linux driver that is easily compiled from source code. The Pi runs an ARM platform and most computers are Intel/AMD based. So most “easy to install” drivers (read: pre-compiled binary drivers) are for that platform. However, sometimes a driver or special software does not need to be downloaded from the manufacturers website because the Linux community compiled a driver for it (open source driver or by reverse engineering etc. like the Soundblaster Live audio cards etc.). Then you might be able to install the necessary diver and utility w/ apt-get install driver_name_of_your_joystick. Anyway only the manufacturer can make things clear for us!!

Succes. :)

nathaninho
    Participant

@meneerjansen thank you!!!

Here, people says that Win detects the stick as a POV switch instead of a X and Y axis.

And here there are more info, but I dont undertand very well

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?259552-Neo-Geo-X-Controller-on-Raspberry-Pi&highlight=Raspberry

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=121457] @meneerjansen thank you!!!

Here, people says that Win detects the stick as a POV switch instead of a X and Y axis.

And here there are more info, but I dont undertand very well

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?259552-Neo-Geo-X-Controller-on-Raspberry-Pi&highlight=Raspberry
    [/quote]
    1. I’m fairly experienced Linux user but even I don’t get what some of the forum users are babbling about in the links you posted. They may not know what the hell they’re talking about or they’re simply not giving enough info.

2. In one of the links somebody used the same test utility that I recommended.

Remember: many controllers behave according to the harware USB standard set by engineers a and will be recognized by your operating system (Android, Linux, Windows, etc.) automatically! If your manufacturer did not abide to said standard it is a gamble if the controller will work or not. Microsoft Windows tends to come out of the box with some drivers for exotic hardware because Windows is so popular the the manufacturers make sure their stuff works, even though its exotic and weird.

On Android, Linux or MacOS you might not be that lucky. And again: the ONLY one that knows is the manufacturer of your hardware! So check its forum or website to find out if it needs a special driver or not.

In my experience it doesn’t matter if the controller says that it is a POV (one of my faux SNES USB controllers is like that). You can solve that w/ the controller config screen in RetroPie/Emulation station. What DOES matter is if Linux can “see” your controller and if it recognizes that it is a Game Controller. Again, test w/:

jstest /dev/input/js0
    Additionally you might want to check if the controller is connected properly with the command:

lsusb
    That will list all connected USB devices, if it has a driver loaded or not.

Good luck :)

nathaninho
    Participant

Thank you again @meneerjansen

I have installed the Joystick package, but i have the newest version. Then, with th jstest /dev/input/js0 command, I dont see my gamepad (when I connect the SNES USB Pad yes), but I dont have any error only the following message:

jstest: No such file or directory

Then, I think that I will need some driver…

:)

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=121498]will need some[/quote]

[quote=121498]Thank you again @meneerjansen

I have installed the Joystick package, but i have the newest version. Then, with th jstest /dev/input/js0 command, I dont see my gamepad (when I connect the SNES USB Pad yes), but I dont have any error only the following message:

jstest: No such file or directory

Then, I think that I will need some driver…
    [/quote]
    The error message “No such file or directory” means that there is no “js0”, that is: there is no game controller detected. Indeed, this means that you need a driver specific for this controller. It may be already have been developed by the Linux community, it may have been released by the manufacturer of your controller. Which manufacturer is it, which type is it and what’s the support page of the manufacturer? Said Linux driver should be downloadable from there. If it’s not… Well, then I think it is marketed very much towards Windows or special (Windows) software that comes with the hardware.

P.S. From the top post: in Windows, you (only) seem to be able to play games w/ your ‘AES stick’ from your ‘NeoGeo X Gold system’ w/ a piece of software called “Xpadder”. From the Xpadder website: “Xpadder allows you to map keyboard keys and mouse button actions to your game controller buttons”. This means that Windows does NOT recognize this controller as a game device (i.e. not as a joystick or controller) but as a keyboard. That’s a bummer. But, I can play games fairly well in Emulationstation w/ a keyboard. What you have to do to operate Emulationstation (and therefore your Pi) w/ a keyboard is:

1. In RetroPie/Emulationstation go to: “RetroPie (the config menu) –> RetroPie setup –> Setup/configuration (to be used post install) –> Configure Retroarch controller –> Configure keyboarc for use with RetroArch”.
    2. It should pop up a wizard that asks you to press keys on your keyboard (to use instead of a controller).
    3. Then press keys on your ‘AES stick’. Realize that RetroPie probably “thinks” that your controller actually is a keyboard.

Good luck :)

nathaninho
    Participant

@meneerjansen the manufacturer is TOMMO (last item):

But I didnt see any driver support… Searching on Google, I didnt find any good answer to my problem

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=121506] @meneerjansen the manufacturer is TOMMO (last item):

Exclusive Products

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” src=”http://tommo.com/exclusive-products/embed/#?secret=IvXCJlDG3j&#8221; data-secret=”IvXCJlDG3j” width=”600″ height=”338″ title=”Embedded WordPress Post” frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>
    But I didnt see any driver support… Searching on Google, I didnt find any good answer to my problem.[/quote]

See the “P.S.” which I wrote while you wrote your reply. I seems to me that the “manufacturer” of your “Neo Geo system” is victim of some “controversy” according to Wikipedia which probably means that there is no proper website of the manufacturer as it might be some sort of exotic piece of hardware that is no longer officially supported. Quote from Wiki:

[…] due to the low manufacturing standards employed by Tommo, in 2013 October, SNK [the company that made the “real” original Neo Geo] Playmore has publicly ordered Tommo to cease not only manufacture of the Neo Geo X, but to pull all existing stock from store shelves

So accepting that it is barely supported and that it probably behaves like a keyboard and not like a game controller might be the best place to start to get this thing working.

nathaninho
    Participant

@meneerjansen Thank you for your time :)

The Retroarch keyboard configuration doesnt detect my AES stick, only my wirelss keyboard… :(

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=121524] @meneerjansen Thank you for your time

The Retroarch keyboard configuration doesnt detect my AES stick, only my wireless keyboard… [/quote]
    That is very unfortunate. Then it might behave like a mouse… Any way if you’re certain that it is detected by Linux (use ‘lsusb’) then my magician’s high hat is empty now.

I’ve seen the controller you mention on Amazon and it is pretty amazing! Pity it don’t work in Linux. Good luck in finding another controller you like. :)

meneerjansen
    Participant

P.S. One last thing you might try: disconnect your keyboard and connect only the Neo Geo controller and a “real” USB controller. Reboot the Pi and operate the Pi w/ said controller. Then try to set up a keyboard again. Maybe the NeoGeo controller will be selected now…

nathaninho
    Participant

@meneerjansen OOOOK!!! I have connected my raspi only with the NEOGEOstick and… YEEES!!! It is detected as a keyboard, because, Emulestation only detecs my SNES YSB pad, but when I go to Retropie SETUP, I can use the NEOGEOstick for menu navigation.

The problem is that in “Configure keyboard for use with RetroArch” menu, I press buttons, but the configuration is not changing. The joystick is the cursor, first button is “OK”, and the second one is the “CANCEL” in menus…

Now, we have a new beginning… :)

PS: When I execute lsusb with and without the NGstick only one line appears (when stick is connected):

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1292:4e47 Innomedia

Then, something is detected…lol

raymate
    Participant

Been trying to get this to work for about a year and like other have fond it seems to work like a keyboard. But how can we reverse this and actually use it.

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=121780]Been trying to get this to work for about a year and like other have fond it seems to work like a keyboard. But how can we reverse this and actually use it.

[/quote]
    Make sure no keyboard is connected to your Pi (other than the X Arcade Stick), connect a controller to navigate through RetroPie’s menus and:

1. In RetroPie/Emulationstation go to: “RetroPie (the config menu) –> RetroPie setup –> Setup/configuration (to be used post install) –> Configure Retroarch controller –> Configure keyboard for use with RetroArch”.
    2. It should pop up a wizard that asks you to press keys on your keyboard (to use instead of a controller).
    3. Then press keys on your ‘AES stick’.

Now remove the temporary controller and use the X Arcade Stick to play.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.