Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Here’s what I’ve been building over the last couple weekends:

mavic19
    Participant

My paint scheme idea:

my finished monitor panel:

mavic19
    Participant

Wiring my buttons, joysticks, iPac controller and sound amplifer:

Almost done

mavic19
    Participant

Playtime! Just need to finish the marquee up and map my Player 2 controls!

mavic19
    Participant

Hardware Specs:
    Raspberry Pi 2
    RetroPie 3.0 V2
    32GB Class 10 microSD
    WIFI WirelessN thumb drive

24″ Sceptre HDTV monitor
    Happ 2 Player arcade button kit
    iPac2 usb arcade controller
    Lepai 2 channel stereo amplifier (20w x 2 RMS)
    Pioneer 4″ stereo speakers
    Bose Acoustimass subwoofer
    USB & 3.5mm audio jack connector (for easy access from control panel)

trixster
    Participant

That is brilliant.

mavic19
    Participant

Almost completed!

All that is left to do is add the backlight for the marquee and some more aluminum trim work! I’m pretty stoked at how well it turned out.

deepdivered
    Participant

Looks great. Can you get a video of it in action.

mavic19
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll take some video and upload it to youtube this weekend.

ekdor
    Participant

Nice!

dpicc68
    Participant

Brilliant
    Colour Scheme…
    Stickers or Paint?

Dpicc….

mavic19
    Participant

It’s all paint. I used an oil based enamel (Rust-Oleum, gloss).
    I rubbed wood glue into all the cut edges of the MDF to seal them up (took about 3 coats of wood glue) and sanded it smooth. Then I mixed a 50/50 solution of wood glue and water and coated the entire cab with a foam brush ( also 3 coats followed by sanding with 220 grit). Then I used KILZ oil-based primer and shot 2 coats with my HVLP gun (followed by sanding with 220 grit). I then shot the black (5 coats) of gloss black with HVLP (thinned with VM&P Napthala). Sanded in between coats. Once the gloss black had completely dried and cured, I taped it off and used a 4″ wide smooth foam roller to roll on the paint for the stripes.

ekdor
    Participant

I was thinking about this stage yesterday. Was thinking of diluted wood glue and sanding to get a smoother finish. And sealing the ends before glue and screw.

mavic19
    Participant

Sealing up the MDF is a tedious, time consuming process. I can see why manufacturers just glue vinyl type skins over it instead of painting, but I prefer the look of paint. I started with sealing the cut edges first with undiluted wood glue. That’ll help prevent the open grain of the MDF from sucking up your primer and paint and adds a higher level of protection. I didn’t want to use T-molding as I wanted my edges to be gloss black like the sides of the MDF. Sanding it all down is time consuming, but worth it.

I also used BONDO for hiding all my seams and joints. Lots of sanding time there as well, but it all looks uniform. I had countersunk my screw holes and then used BONDO over the top so you can’t see where any screws are.

Best advice: Take your time and don’t rush yourself. If you want it to look great, don’t settle for “good enough.” Any slight blemish that wasn’t sanded out or filled correctly will stick out like a sore thumb with gloss paint.

ekdor
    Participant

In your most recent photo is the marquee backlit? It doesn’t look like it. would like to see how backlit photo-paper looks. Could you post a photo to that effect? Thanks…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Peoples Projects’ is closed to new topics and replies.