Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Multiplayer game online : RetroArch + NetPlay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    geddons
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Did you know that you can play your emulated multiplayer games online ?
    This feature is called “NetPlay” and you can read more about it .

Recently, I have opened which describes how the automated process to configure Netplay in Retropie is broken.
    Nevertheless, I also provide a workaround that should enable you to make it work.

Making it “work” is really quite straightforward as far as I have been able to test. Nevertheless, I have suffered all the time of lag/out-of-sync behavior where the two players are officially connected together but are clearly playing in different “realities (you’ll understand if you get there).

We have tried a lot of experiments with the –frames option and have seen quite a lot of impacts but we were never totally successful.

There are three possibilities that might explain why we weren’t able to have a smooth gameplay experience:

1. Lack of computation power.
    2. Lack of network bandwidth
    3. The netcode is simply broken.

So far, I have only been able to test NetPlay with a remote guy from France (I’m in Belgium). We both had xDSL connection and our mutual ping was of 50ms so I’d pretty much say that things should have been fine.

If somebody has got two available Pis and controllers, it might be worth testing Netplay over the local network.

Also, if somebody has got a RetroArch setup with two x86/x64 normal PCs with much more capable CPUs, it could be interesting to see how thins run to make a final diagnostics.

Guys, it’s time to step up and try how it’s going for you !

Cheers,

Pierre.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

I have a feeling it’s beyond the limits of the Pi :-( I’ve ordered another Pi and will test on local network when I get my other Pi back. What are the steps to get it working?
    Thankyou

geddons
    Participant

Oups, apparently I forgot to post the link to the workaround.

You can read about it there:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/446

Cheers,

Pierre.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Great, thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.