Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi.

Pretty new to Retropie/RPI in general but I’ve learned a lot the last days.

Thing is, I’ve been playing all sorts of emus & roms with a PS2-clone USB wired joypad “GreenTechAsia”, with nothing to complain about.

Then yesterday I purchased the official “Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows & Xbox 360 Console”
    (Link: This one: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless controller)

… and used this Youtube-guide:
    RetroPie: Xbox wireless controller setup on Raspberry Pi – by Floob

… which refers to these instructions:
    Github: Setting up the XBox360 controller

… but with lesser satisfaction.

I know that the USB-reciever which is plugged in to the RPI should “detect” 4 controllers natively, and that’s correct when I check the js*-files in /dev/input/

However after following – the exact – instructions of that Youtube video & the Github instructions, my Emulationstation “detects” 3 joypads instead of only 1 controller (which it’s supposed to be).

A look in the /dev/input folder shows me js0, js1 and js2.

The input js1 is the only one that responds when doing a jtest.
    That’s.. well irritating to say the least… since retroarch-joypad configure goes for the js0-input.

All in all:

If I only knew how to “get rid” of the other 2 phantom controllers so Emulationstation only detects 1 (real) controller would be nice.

Even nicer would be if I managed to set my Xbox 360 wireless joypad from js1 to js0 – so I could run the retroarch joypad config properly.

I’m used to having my good ‘ol wired USB pads properly set up via retroarch and then to be found in the /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/ folder

I’ve tested to just remove the phantom js-files, but after reboot they spawn alive those little twitchers… grrr!

Help me!

It sucks having a brand new USD $50 controller to be collecting dust if I don’t work this out.

The normally refered to retroarch.cfg, es_systems.cfg and es_config.cfg files – for me – are “mysterial” files that I don’t in any way have the slightest grip of.

Besides from switching paths for roms & set video_smooth = true, that is :)

Otherwise I think I’ve got a pretty good platform to build from now, a RPI2 + Retropie 2.6 + loads of roms.

Did the “Binary based” install in RetroPieSetup.
    And the “Perform script update” … if that could make it easier for you to help me?

Anyways, thanks in advance.

/Alucard the Swede, hence the rusty English grammatics.

Floob
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot Floob, gave me new hope… but what is this “retroarch autoconfig”, to begin with?

Is it the same as

RetroPie-Setup -> 3. “Setup / Configuration (to be used post install)” -> 316. “Install RetroArch joypad autoconfigs”?

Or what is it, I’m curious :)

Thanks in advance.

/Alucard

Anonymous
    Inactive

Update.

Got rid of the “phantom” js-devices.

Only 1 (real) joypad is detected in
    Emulationstation.

And the controller is set js0 – which means that I could configure it in the Retroarch setup…

… thanks to the script in the /etc/rc.local file

xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --id 1 --led 3 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
    sleep 1
    xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --id 2 --led 4 --deadzone 4000 --silent &
    sleep 1

.. posted in the link you put up here.

Thumbs up! :)

However, Retroarch does not map the keys properly and the controls .cfg file is not placed in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/ … like they were before.. now it’s some retroarch-joypad folder.

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

Anyway, thanks for the help and I’ll try to jstest my controller and manually write down the mappings, then manually into the joypads .cfg file :)

/Alucard

Anonymous
    Inactive

UPDATE 2: Got it working. *facepalm*

Of course I had to do the command:

sudo cat /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/XboxGamepad(userspacedriver\).cfg >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

… to get the controller working in the emulators, with input_hotkey_enable_btn and all those features.

I don’t know what’s up with the latest RetroPie 2.6 revision, before I started messing around with “install binary scripts” and stuff my old USB-joypad .cfg-file was defined and ran from the folder:

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/

(Never needed to touch the retroarch.cfg file for setting up my old controller, in other words)

Anyway, problem SOLVED :D

/Alucard

Floob

Thats really not a great way to do it as it hard codes all your settings.

If you installed 2.6.0 then did a binary update it may well have issues because of the major path changes. I would recommend starting with 2.6 and not updating it, or use version 3 beta 4. Either should do the trick.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.