Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

On my Pi2 I have Mario Kart 64 running very well, I’m using GLideN64 on mupen64plus.

Today I put it on my Pi3 and it runs so slowly, what should I try next? My pi2 was overclocked to pi2 settings, my pi3 is stock, is it that?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve noticed the same with MarioKart64 with the following overclock settings on the Pi 2:

gpu_mem=256
    initial_turbo=30
    arm_freq=950
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=2

However on a stock Pi 3 it’s a tad laggy. unfortunately it seems there are some limitations with overclocking the Pi 3 which you can read more about here – https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=138563&p=919875&hilit=pi+3+core+uart

g0nz0uk
    Participant

The Pi 2 works well for me in terms for N64, I was surprised how bad it is on the Pi3 especially with the extra power.

dankcushions
    Participant

gliden64 is the slowest (but most accurate and compatible) plugin and runs at your displays resolution by default which no pi GPU can cope with. change the display mode to CEA1 for n64 using the runcommand menu.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Dankcushions thanks for the reply can you explain in a bit more detail on how to achieve this?

dankcushions
    Participant

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/runcommand

select the default videomode for mupen64plus-GlideN64 – choose CEA1 (640×480)

g0nz0uk
    Participant

I will try this, how does your Pi3/N64 run at this setting?

dankcushions
    Participant

seems about full speed but i haven’t tested 4 player. with my pi 2 i was able to run 4 player at 1080p with only a little bit of slowdown using gles2n64, so i might use that for MK64.

ssimplemind
    Participant

Hi guys. I’m also trying to get Mario Kart 64 to work at full speed for multiplayer games. I have a 40′ FullHD TV as a display, but I don’t mind if I need a lower resolution for the game to work at full speed.

I’d love to play this game in 4 player multiplayer at full speed. However, right now I cant’t get it to workat full speed constantly even with two players. From what I understand, the N64 video emulators use the display’s default resolution to render the game, and I can see that in the game, because everything which is made out of polygons looks pretty crisp.

I tried using all the emulators (RICE dowsn’t work, GlideN64 is slower, glesN64 is the best but still a bit slow), changing to (CEA-1) 640×480 but apart from messing with my aspect ratio (it stretched the game to fit 16:9), the polygons looked just as crisp and the game feels slow in some areas. On the fisrt track, Luigi’s Raceway it’s stuttering ever so slightly everywhere, except in the tunnels. I get a boost in display speed every time I go through them. :)

My question, @dankcushions, is how did you manage to make the game playable at 1080p. Where are the settings that you changed, and what should I change if I value playability instead of resolution?

Thanks in advance.

dankcushions
    Participant

are you talking about a raspberry pi 2 or 3? i’m going to assume you mean a 3, although i played mario kart 64 at 1080p on the 2 in 4 player, although it is fairly choppy on some tracks, and has a lot of sound distortion.

it sounds like yours is already playable at 1080p? i didn’t say it was 100% full speed! right now i’m running it with gles2n64 at 1080p and it is pretty choppy in 4 player but playable, if you don’t mind the sound distortion. in 2 player it only has very minor sound distortion and small amounts of hitches. it seems fine to me.

interestingly, i tried lower resolutions in gles2n64 and it didn’t seem to make any difference. i’m not sure what causes the choppiness there but it’s evidently not the fillrate or CPU (i checked CPU usage throughout and it was pretty low)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.