Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    squiggy
    Participant

I am trying to manually configure the default.cfg file for mame games, but when I try sudo nano default.cfg it is all garble. I am using RetroPie 2.2. It says it converted it from a mac format. Also, I try configuring in the game for the general settings, but each time it saves a cfg file for that game, and the settings are carried over to each game. I thought you could have one default setting for all games, then specific ones for games you wanted to be different. Also, I was expecting the cfg file to be in xml format like some websites say.
    Can someone give the lowdown on how these files work in RetroPie?
    It would seem so easy and straightforward if they were xml files we could copy and edit.

bruized
    Participant

I may have outdated information, but the config files aren’t ASCII editable sadly. What problems are you having using the in game mapping? The general one works for me and all my games have the same configuration. Haven’t tried to set game specific controls though.

squiggy
    Participant

Thanks, you may be right. I’m just trying to figure out how to setup the controllers for MAME games. I think I’m getting closer. Once I get how to configure the buttons and joysticks using TAB, I might be fine. My biggest issue is trying to get 2 joysticks to work though. I am using a real Xbox 360 controller and a Rock Candy one. I think the xboxdrv just will not see the Rock Candy one, though it does work in EmulationStation. I have a Simpsons game that 2 people could play at the same time, and I would love to get that working.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

With both pads connected in terminal type ls /dev/input/

How many joysticks are loaded? (js)

squiggy
    Participant

Not sure what you mean by the first question trimmtrabb. I am trying to load 2 joysticks in the rc.local file, but only the real xbox360 controller stops blinking. I did configure both joysticks in emulationstation too.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

In the latest RetroPie 2.x you don’t need to install xboxdrv manually, they should be recognised automatically and you can check this with the above mentioned command. Then configure them in the mame4all GUI

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Here’s my default.cfg, it’s setup for two pads. Place it in /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/cfg/

Left shoulder is insert coin

squiggy
    Participant

Thank you all. I’ll give this a try when I get home tonight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

Would anyone have a pre-configured default.cfg file for PS3 controllers that has general buttons, coin & esc mapped like trimmtrabb’s xbox one?

Thanks!!

3q

trimmtrabb
    Participant

It’s easy to set your own controls, connect a keyboard and press tab in MAME to bring up the GUI

squiggy
    Participant

Sorry trimmtrabb, your cfg file did not work for me. As a matter of fact, I couldn’t even use TAB to fix it. I just deleted it and started over. Also, EmulationStation sees my two joysticks (generic xbox360, and MS xbox360) which is great, but MAME then only sees 1 of them, and I can’t configure the default.cfg for the generic xbox360, or whichever joystick is seen as player2. I’m confused also as to what files actually control the joysticks in MAME.
    Is it the retroarch.cfg file in /opt/retropie/configs/all/ or the one in /opt/retropie/configs/mame4all-pi/, or the default.cfg in /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/, or this file XboxGamepad(userspacedriver).cfg?
    And does the rc.local file still need to be edited for 2 joysticks in RetroPie 2.2?
    Thanks

trimmtrabb
    Participant

See a few posts above, you don’t need to edit rc.local. Mame4all-pi isn’t a retroarch core, and you cannot edit its controller config like retroarch.cfg, you need to press tab in MAME and set the controls in there. If Emulation Station recognises both pads then they have been loaded, check with ls /dev/input/ there should be two ‘js’ followed by a number. I have no idea why Mame4all-pi isn’t recognising both of them, could be a power issue, what is your setup?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Test the pads with: jstest /dev/input/js* (where * is the index assigned to the pad)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.