Viewing 31 posts - 36 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Floob

[quote=84914]Mame4all is missing so many games. I know that its meant to be better performance by not emulating newer games but there are plenty of older games that are missing. Is there a better alternative? Or is there a way to add games to a custom compilation? [/quote]

There are over 2,000 roms in the 0.37b5 romset, which isnt bad.
    If you want games that are outside of that, you can convert them

See the “SUPPORTED GAMES” section here:
    https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/

Or you could use fba to run arcade games:
    https://code.google.com/p/pifba/

ogandou
    Participant

[quote=84831]http://goo.gl/goLHF4[/quote]

So basically we can keep all the MAME roms in the ‘mame’ folder and forget about the ‘mame4all-pi’ folder?

ogandou
    Participant

[quote=84915]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chito wrote:</div>
    Mame4all is missing so many games. I know that its meant to be better performance by not emulating newer games but there are plenty of older games that are missing. Is there a better alternative? Or is there a way to add games to a custom compilation?

There are over 2,000 roms in the 0.37b5 romset, which isnt bad.
    If you want games that are outside of that, you can convert them

See the “SUPPORTED GAMES” section here:

https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/

Or you could use fba to run arcade games:

https://code.google.com/p/pifba/

[/quote]

Could you explain what is a romset? I have to say that I am confused. Is it a collection of games? I thought it was some sort of collection of BIOS files necessary for the emulated games to run. But then why would they be saved in the roms folder? I’m very confused… :-|

chdez77076
    Participant

That sounds about right! Unless you want to use Adv mame which is doubt since mame4all is significantly better.

chito
    Participant

[quote=85310]Could you explain what is a romset?[/quote]
    Its a collection of games for a version or program. mame4all-pi uses the 0.37b5 mame roms set which was used by an old version of mame. between roms sets the names of zip files can change, the files within them can be removed/add/renamed; games get added and removed etc

From my understanding adv mame isnt even playable…. there should be away to add games and or features form newer code… like support for -listxml

ogandou
    Participant

[quote=85311]That sounds about right! Unless you want to use Adv mame which is doubt since mame4all is significantly better.[/quote]

So how can I tell what I’m using? I installed mame4all yesterday (which took forever it seemed :-D) but I’m still saving my roms in the ‘mame’ folder, I don’t seem to have a ‘mame4all’ rom folder…

Sorry I’m such a noob. :-( That stuff ain’t easy!

Floob

You can tell which you are using by looking at:
    /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

This will show the directories used
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame will be using the mame4all emulator.
    All the zip files in the romset should be put in there.

ogandou
    Participant

OK, this is what it has in the MAME section, so I’m good, right? It’s using mame4all?

<system>
            <fullname>MAME</fullname>
            <name>mame</name>
            <path>~/RetroPie/roms/mame</path>
            <extension>.zip .ZIP</extension>
            <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 4 "/opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame %BASENAME%"</command>
            <!-- alternatively: <command>/opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/emulatorcores/imame4all-libretro/libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /opt/retropie/configs/mame/retroarch.cfg %ROM% </command> -->
            <platform>arcade</platform>
            <theme>mame</theme>
        </system>

ogandou
    Participant

[quote=85329]
    Its a collection of games for a version or program. mame4all-pi uses the 0.37b5 mame roms set which was used by an old version of mame. between roms sets the names of zip files can change, the files within them can be removed/add/renamed; games get added and removed etc

From my understanding adv mame isnt even playable…. there should be away to add games and or features form newer code… like support for -listxml
    [/quote]

So when you say “mame4all-pi uses the 0.375b mme roms sets”, that doesn’t mean that mame4all comes with these roms, right? It’s just that the version used in mame4all is the 0.375b version?

So why is advanced mame even there by default instead of mame4all?

chito
    Participant

Im pretty sure retropie 2.3 uses mame4all as the new default. will have to confirm that but its says so in that es_systems.cfg file

as for roms you need to get the correct files. emulators dont come with the roms. And according to that es_systems.cfg you have to put your roms in ~/RetroPie/roms/mame

ogandou
    Participant

OK, thanks. Can you mix romsets? For example some of my games require the naomi romset, others the neogeo romset, another the 0.133 BIOS pack. Can you just drop them all in the same folder?

Not all the games that need the 0.133 BIOS pack seem to work for me. Ghosts and goblins do but not the 1941 series. None of the games that require the naomi or neogeo romsets seem to work though, I’m not sure why but I’d like to fix it…

Floob

No, the mame4all version that comes with RetroPie is for the 0.37b5 romset.
    Do you have a game in that romset that doesnt work?

Here is the list of the supported games:
    http://mamerominfo.retrogames.com/lists/romv37b5.zip

ogandou
    Participant

Yup, the 1941 and 1943 (Battle of Midway) games for example don’t work… I got an error message with big letters saying the 1943.01, 1943.02, 1943.03 files are missing…

Floob

I just checked my 1943.zip file, and the contents include those files you reference.
    What does yours contain?

If it looks more like the files shown here you have a newer version:
    http://www.mamedb.com/game/1943

They are also detailed in the file I linked to above. At the moment I’m thinking you dont have the 0.37b5 romset.

Mine contains 2271 files, and the 1943.zip is 298KB

ogandou
    Participant

OK, that one I got working (found a different one). But I don’t have the 0.37b5 romset, no. Need to look for it. :-(

chito
    Participant

Use a rom manager like clrmamepro. Mame4all cones with the dat fike it needs to check your roms. It will tell u which ones work and whats missing

Roo
    Participant

[quote=84914]Mame4all is missing so many games. I know that its meant to be better performance by not emulating newer games but there are plenty of older games that are missing. Is there a better alternative? Or is there a way to add games to a custom compilation? [/quote]

You can uses a combination of MAME4ALL and PiFBA (Final Burn Alpha) which will give you a lot of the NeoGeo and Capcom CPS missing from MAME4ALL.

Other than that, what are you missing? The real new stuff? Most of that wont run well. And MAME games with CHDs are not going to run well, if at all.

[quote=85389]Use a rom manager like clrmamepro. Mame4all cones with the dat fike it needs to check your roms. It will tell u which ones work and whats missing[/quote]

I just added a tutorial

[u][url=http://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs]Managing ROMs[/url][/u]

chito
    Participant

Well that could work, just sucks having 2 systems and search though 2 lists

essteeexe
    Participant

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to lalaland for that snippet, it fixed my issues with a Hori wireless fighting stick I wanted to use. Thanks!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

mame4all is not the same as mame 0.37b5 0- it has additional fixes / compatibility changes etc afaik. It comes with a rom manager dat so you can build a romset for it from other sets I believe

I’m pretty sure 1941 and 1943 work perfectly.

evilllama
    Participant

Well, I have one ROM that works for MAME. Thank you to the anonymous source for the CORRECT version of the ROM to match my cabinet.

So I went to the local arcade shop and picked up a few old cabinets that were “beyond repair” and old as sin. I gutted a couple of them and found that the internals are working well (IE: software), but the hardware (and cabinets) are toast. Rather than “repairing” them, I am pulling the ROMs from the 37.b set and building them into on cabinet whilst storing the original internals in a box.

That said, I first used clrmamepro to ensue that I have the correct ROM set and files. According to CMP, I have every file needed and everything should work fine. I have the ROMs on USB in the pi, set the config file at /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg to search for my ROMs under /media/usb/*system I am using* and it works great for everything except the MAME.

Is there another area in the configuration that would tell MAME4ALL where to look for ROMs that would cause it to see the ROMs, start the ROMs, then look elsewhere to run the ROMs? As there are multiple files within a single ZIP file (unlike SNES or genesis, etc), I am concerned that it is seeing the parent directory to list the ROM in MAME, but then trying to execute from a different location. Can that happen? If not, why is MAE4ALL not able to see the files where it was directed to look?

PS.
    Short version when I go to media/usb/mame, it shows the games and required files, but in ES, I click on a game, and then it tells me the files that are in folder (verified) are missing. The one game that works is on a different pi on the SD and only works from terminal (not conducive to portability when I have to drag around a keyboard). Ultimately, I want to run the ROMs from the USB as I have the ability to alter game sets and add/delete with ease.

PPS. FBA (mostly) works on the same configuration of /media/usb/fba. I was just playing 1941, but some other ROMs (compiled by clrmamepro) state they are unsupported (?).

Thoughts? Questions? Emotional outbursts?

labelwhore
    Participant

To use the xbox 360 D-Pad in MAME you need to start xboxdrv using --dpad-as-button, then reconfigure MAME through the in-game interface. I got this working on my setup last night. Since I’m starting xboxdrv via rc,local the lines that start my controllers look like this:

xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --dpad-as-button --id 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent &

labelwhore
    Participant

@ Evilllama

Hmmm… all my roms are stored in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms, they are zipped, contain multiple files, and work perfectly. Maybe try getting them from a different source. (I had to find a diff version from 0.37b5 as the collection I found only had around 20 roms in it, but the vast majority of the ones I found work.)

evilllama
    Participant

I used the DAT file from MAME4ALL (from the pi) to compile through clrmamepro. Though it could be incorrect ROM files, it was matched 100% to the DAT file of MAME4ALL, directly from the pi, and complied using the information directly from the pi.

Also, FBA seems to (mostly) work using the same ROM set and USB settings. As 1941 is on both systems, I tried playing on FBA (works perfect) then tried on MAME4 (does not work). That tells me the directory is not the issue (per say), nor the ROM. For some reason, MAME4 is seeing the ROM, directing to it, then ignoring the files inside the ZIP folder or looking elsewhere… or so it seems.

labelwhore
    Participant

what does the section for mame4all in you es_systems.cfg file look like?

evilllama
    Participant

[quote=87161]what does the section for mame4all in you es_systems.cfg file look like?[/quote]

Stock, except path is altered to
    <path>/media/usb/mame

rather than
    <path>~/RetroPie/roms/mame

mame4all is the only emulator that “seems” to hiccup on the path.

Roo
    Participant

try editing /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/mame.cfg directly

this is the section you would need to change

[directory]
    artwork=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-artwork
    rompath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame
    samplepath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-samples
    evilllama
    Participant

[quote=87244][directory] artwork=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-artwork rompath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame samplepath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-samples[/quote]

That was EXACTLY right Roo!!! I change the path to = /media/usb/mame and now it is finding the roms and all the needed file to run the roms!

Anyone who is running ROMs from USB, here is the answer for MAME not finding ROM files!

Thank you again Roo!

Roo
    Participant

:)

gv0000
    Participant

Is there a definitive check list for troubleshooting MAME4All? I’ve been googling for days and keep getting different answers, none of which have been helpful. I appreciate that people are trying to be helpful with a 39203 different YouTube videos and blog posts but it seems like I’m just digging through mountains of outdated or incorrect information trying to get a trouble shooting list. I have roms of the correct set, they are in the MAME rom folder (and also in the MAME4All folder) and downloaded the SD image that was supposed to avoid all these problems. Any clue of a definitive place to start looking for answers? Or do yall think it is just better to try downloading the image again and hope for the best?

Thanks!!! :D

Roo
    Participant

[quote=87762]Is there a definitive check list for troubleshooting MAME4All? I’ve been googling for days and keep getting different answers, none of which have been helpful. I appreciate that people are trying to be helpful with a 39203 different YouTube videos and blog posts but it seems like I’m just digging through mountains of outdated or incorrect information trying to get a trouble shooting list. I have roms of the correct set, they are in the MAME rom folder (and also in the MAME4All folder) and downloaded the SD image that was supposed to avoid all these problems. Any clue of a definitive place to start looking for answers? Or do yall think it is just better to try downloading the image again and hope for the best?

Thanks!!! :D
    [/quote]

You should start a new thread and explain exactly what is the problem you are facing.

Viewing 31 posts - 36 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.